SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

81 - 100 of 128 Posts
If you really want to get steamed @ GB, go look at their policy (and lack of assistance) for when you get ripped off by a seller. You'd REALLY be surprised how little they'll do, the maximum they'll cover and all the hoops.

This fact alone keeps me from using GB for anything of decent value or a non-professional seller (i.e. individual with low feedback score).

i use GB when I have to, if it's a deal that I can't get elsewhere but I won't go out of my way to chase a seller with low or any negatives. I always check, go through their ratings.

Funny, there's a P229C on there being sold by First Light Tactical in FLA.. ad The Amazing Sig P229C SAS 357 w/ 3 mags - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 972005945

Ad says:
new Sig P229C SAS chambered in 357! This pistol has been with a collector since purchased and shows no evidence of use. Just look at it, perfect condition!

buuut look at the pics. I called the seller directly after he didn't reply to messaging to make sure that this beat up POS condition gun was the right gun he was trying to sell..

Seller at First Light answers, says, oh yeh, it has some marks on the slide that are into the finish.. I'm like, that's not new, not perfect condition.. he said something like, 'well for the age it's amazing, I think it's pretty good"..

what an effwad dbag pos, imo

caveat emptor.

the best way to use GB is to find sellers with shops and then call them directly. in most situations, you can save money on the direct sale, even if the price is the same.
interestingly enough, there's no longer a click button option to report bad ads. Guessing GB has decided that the number of staff required to police ads/ auctions is too costly and put the onus back on the buyers, to know what they are buying before they click. To be clear, there used to be a 'report' feature on ads.

also, they don't care about shill buyers bumping auction prices. it would be easy for them to see, using their CRM backend, that the same 'users' are bidding up a certain seller's items, during the auction but it's in their best interests to ignore. For better/ worse, final Sale Price is how they filch their fees.

i've used Armslist a few times, recently. It's a little more sketchy, as they come right out and say, ONLY DO DEALS IN PERSON but using www.bitrail.com and www.guntab.com type services can mitigate some of those risks.

I understand that you’re upset over this, and what he did was screwy. If he changed his mind last second he should just say that. Thinking you can get more for it when you had to do a second auction because your first one got no bids at a higher price makes no sense.
But look on the bright side, at least you didn’t send him the payment and then he just didn’t send the gun.

The page you link to states that the BUYER can't cancel a transaction. I don't see any verbiage that forbids a SELLER from doing so.
I don't doubt that, but that would be a terrible policy. A winning bid or accepted BIN should be a binding contract for both the seller and buyer, unless voided by mutual agreement by both parties.

interestingly enough, there's no longer a click button option to report bad ads. Guessing GB has decided that the number of staff required to police ads/ auctions is too costly and put the onus back on the buyers, to know what they are buying before they click. To be clear, there used to be a 'report' feature on ads.

also, they don't care about shill buyers bumping auction prices. it would be easy for them to see, using their CRM backend, that the same 'users' are bidding up a certain seller's items, during the auction but it's in their best interests to ignore. For better/ worse, final Sale Price is how they filch their fees.

i've used Armslist a few times, recently. It's a little more sketchy, as they come right out and say, ONLY DO DEALS IN PERSON but using www.bitrail.com and www.guntab.com type services can mitigate some of those risks.
Consider the size of GB. It's massive. And not just guns. I'm guessing they would get massive numbers of complaints every single day. And that would include large numbers of karens just complaining to be complaining.

I'm pretty much done with them but not due to the risk. Due diligence weeds our the risky transactions. I'm done because of all the new fees and taxes. Add in the shipping and transfer fees and the days of getting good deals are over. I'm not a collector looking for ONIB or pristine used guns. Anything I want can be found elsewhere.

On Armslist only buy from Prime Venders. Look up their physical address. Call them. You should be good to go if they pass the smell test.

Yeah, pretty shitty seller. That being said, you can leave a bad review and get some satisfaction. You could also leave bad reviews on social media. I always look at reviews and research before I send money. I mostly go with USPS money orders, but they are worthless when disputing even theft. Mostly look at sellers on forums I belong to for deals on shooters. I’m not a collector.

Correction & update to my post # 39.

I logged into GunBroker today and planned to send message to their Support to ask why my history was missing. After a lot of searching, I found a link to Reports.
You'd think they would have placed a Reports link on the Dashboard, but no ...nothing there, not even explanation of how to get a report.

My sales & purchase history is still available (although I still don't see ANY buyer comments or my prior A+ rating ). Transaction history is available under Toolbox => Reports. Click on View and that leads to Generate Reports or Report Downloads. I tried it several times and received emails with a link. However, several times clicking the link lead to a long wait and eventual 'time out' error. (Is their computer just slow or name service poorly configured ?) Continued attempts finally resulted in viewing a PDF file that lists transactions by year. Reports can be viewed or downloaded only for Buys, or Sales, and a date range selected. Why not just list ALL transactions in ONE report ? Not very user friendly report. Also, why bury access to reports in a 'Toolbox' link ?. Reports are a fairly common & useful feature desired by an account user and SHOULD show on the Dashboard. (my opinion of sub par design)

To summarize and correct post # 39, I now have my Gun Broker sales and buy history (but still no rating or buyer comments. Nor is that rating & history presented to potential buyers, as it should be.)
The website redesign went from adequate to worse. https://www.GunBroker.com may be the most known online firearms sales platform, but for me they are not as useful as years ago.

I will search for online alternatives and if none are available, I'll sell and buy the old way, person to person.

[...]

My sales & purchase history is still available (although I still don't see ANY buyer comments or my prior A+ rating ). Transaction history is available under Toolbox => Reports. Click on View and that leads to Generate Reports or Report Downloads.

[...]
Thank you for posting, this, it's actually VERY helpful info and you saved me some time in fumbling through GB to see if I could find my past history.

This is GREAT INFO for anyone that wants to check their past pricing on items purchased.

@CBarker sorry to hear about the troubles, but I would like to (again!!) thank you for posting this.

Years ago when I was in the process of building my collection i used GB a lot. I got some really good deals there on some really good guns. I've only sold a couple of items there. Not guns, but magazines and parts, and made good money. But I've pretty much got everything I wanted now. Anything I'm currently interested in is either very hard to come by or readily available at the LGS.
I don't think I've bought anything off GB in 5 maybe 10 years. That place ain't what it used to be. Prices have gotten insane and then there's **** like this. I can't even remember the last time I surfed that site.

Years ago when I was in the process of building my collection i used GB a lot. I got some really good deals there on some really good guns. I've only sold a couple of items there. Not guns, but magazines and parts, and made good money. But I've pretty much got everything I wanted now. Anything I'm currently interested in is either very hard to come by or readily available at the LGS.
I don't think I've bought anything off GB in 5 maybe 10 years. That place ain't what it used to be. Prices have gotten insane and then there's **** like this. I can't even remember the last time I surfed that site.
So true and yet people still buy/sell there.

I've done a few transactions over GB buying and selling, and they went fine...but that was at least two years ago maybe longer. Aside form all the newer fees and such, and especially after the pandemic, it seems like a complete crapshoot wight now and I'd probably only go there for reference.

GB.com is owned by Ammo Inc. That being so, it cannot hurt to address complaints directly to the owner?

Dave Y -

Looks like Ammo, Inc. is in with Optics Planet, another company I no longer buy from since their customer service has deteriorated. I recently ordered a Boyt rifle case from a company that charged more than OP because I no longer trust them.

I’ve bought a few guns off GB and generally had good experiences. Last week I bid on a set of grips described as for a CZ 75. There were still several days left before the auction ended so I waited. The day before it ended, the seller changed the item description and stated they were for a TZ 75 compact. When the description changed I was sent an email to that effect. I contacted GB support and they withdrew my bid within an hour.
I don’t buy guns there anymore simply because most sellers want more for them than my LGS. What really soured me was when Midway received shipments of Springfield SA 35’s. Midway sold them for full MSRP and would sell out in less than a day. A day or two later GB sellers would have them advertised there, sellers simply bought from Midway for $699.00 and posted them on GB for $1200.00 and up and buyers would pay that. Same story with reloading components a year or so ago.
Bottom line is items are worth what people are willing to pay and paying insane prices for stuff just drives the prices higher. When people quit buying stuff for inflated prices the prices will come back down. Hopefully 🙏

I have been on Gunbroker for 20 years now and have 328 feedbacks. I consider myself an advanced collector so and Gunbroker is about the only place to find some of the things I like. For instance, I have looked for a Meli hard case for a Sig 210 Swiss pistol for over 10 years without success and recently scored one on Gunbroker. I am very disenchanted with Gunbroker these days. I believe the site was sold not long ago and now they have hiked their fees considerably plus customer service had gone down (it was never good). So...I had never been ripped off on Gunbroker over 20 years...until last fall. This story might require whisky with it to digest:

Last September I purchased a Browning Auto 22 rifle on GB. It was actually an FN import with the original box. I'm a sucker for nice .22s. I'm pretty careful on there and the seller had 700+ positive feedbacks and I had noticed his nick before on there so I figured it was pretty safe. He did not take credit cards though but then neither did I as I was not a business. Communication was good, email back and forth no problem. He had been on Gunbroker for 10 years I believe. When the rifle didnt arrive, of course...radio silence. Then I got an email from the "seller" who informed me his account had been hacked and he did not receive any money from me and was sorry. He had worked with Gunbroker on the issue as : The hacker got into his account, changed the seller address and phone/email etc and then took 20 of his listings, lowered the prices and proceeded to collect the money. I saw that the real account holder was in Nevada and the fake had changed the address to South Carolina.

So enter Gunbroker customer no-service...They have a buyer protection program and claim they will reimburse any fraud. I have been hassling with them since September and still have not been reimbursed. I sent them copies of the postal money order, delivery proof, the auction etc. They supposedly lost this stuff and I sent it again via snail mail and made them sign for it. Then radio silence for about a month until I threatened to have a lawyer intervene. Now all of a sudden I have a claim form to fill out and maybe that will do it. I think they just put people off long enough and hope they just drop it.

So be careful on there and only buy with a credit card. I felt I did my due diligence on the transaction and I still got taken. I fault Gunbroker itself for having lax security but I also fault the account holder for having a simple password (your pet's name wont do..) I wont name the account holder as he had nothing to do with the fake transaction and is back on there with his legitimate account.

So, I won THIS GUNBROKER AUCTION today using the BIN feature. I had been texting with the seller, and as soon as I won, he starts telling me he thinks the package is worth WAY more than his own BIN price, and says he's gonna cancel the deal because he wants to try and get more money. My freaking JAW DROPPED. No shame in his game AT ALL. Cool as anything. Eff you, I'm not completing the deal, even though I got the max possible amount I was hoping for, I want MORE.

This GB Help article here says he CAN'T cancel the transaction...

But guess what? I go to check the transaction page... it says CANCELED.

This is why man..... this is why everybody HATES gunbroker. I submitted my complaint and my screenshots where he says he's just gonna refuse the whole deal because he's decided he wants more money, but I'm sure nothing will come of it, doubt I will ever hear back anything.

For those interested, his SN is MHSEARS1 / real name Mark Sears. Posting his contact info would be over the line, but man, I hope all you out there in SIGTALK land pay attention and stay clear of this guys, he has several other Sigs listed, and I'm sure GB will take zero action against this guy.

Now I'm afraid to try again for another copperhead on GB....
…”this is why everybody HATES gunbroker.” Everybody??? You shouldn’t speak for “EVERYBODY”, I certainly don’t hate GB & I’m sure thousands agree. It’s no different than eBay, except it’s for firearms & other cool stuff. Besides gun shows where else are good deals found? I prefer the auction format, because you can get good deals & find out what the market currently is for a firearm, not what a company deems fit for a price.

Is it really GB’s fault that the seller is a *****?

I logged into GunBroker today and planned to send message to their Support to ask why my history was missing. After a lot of searching, I found a link to Reports.
You'd think they would have placed a Reports link on the Dashboard, but no ...nothing there, not even explanation of how to get a report.

My sales & purchase history is still available (although I still don't see ANY buyer comments or my prior A+ rating ). Transaction history is available under Toolbox => Reports. Click on View and that leads to Generate Reports or Report Downloads. I tried it several times and received emails with a link. However, several times clicking the link lead to a long wait and eventual 'time out' error. (Is their computer just slow or name service poorly configured ?) Continued attempts finally resulted in viewing a PDF file that lists transactions by year. Reports can be viewed or downloaded only for Buys, or Sales, and a date range selected. Why not just list ALL transactions in ONE report ? Not very user friendly report. Also, why bury access to reports in a 'Toolbox' link ?. Reports are a fairly common & useful feature desired by an account user and SHOULD show on the Dashboard. (my opinion of sub par design)

To summarize and correct post # 39, I now have my Gun Broker sales and buy history (but still no rating or buyer comments. Nor is that rating & history presented to potential buyers, as it should be.)
The website redesign went from adequate to worse. https://www.GunBroker.com may be the most known online firearms sales platform, but for me they are not as useful as years ago.

I will search for online alternatives and if none are available, I'll sell and buy the old way, person to person.
they have a habit of not adding on every purchase and/or the feedback.. and when questioned - the 'form response' is bullshxt and not even a viable excuse.. so while i have several other positives transactions - the count is not accurate.. and the only reason to care - is from the other person's perception - good or mediocre or bad possible transaction to come...
and no one ever answers a phone or email in normal time..

I’ve bought a few guns off GB and generally had good experiences. Last week I bid on a set of grips described as for a CZ 75. There were still several days left before the auction ended so I waited. The day before it ended, the seller changed the item description and stated they were for a TZ 75 compact. When the description changed I was sent an email to that effect. I contacted GB support and they withdrew my bid within an hour.
I don’t buy guns there anymore simply because most sellers want more for them than my LGS. What really soured me was when Midway received shipments of Springfield SA 35’s. Midway sold them for full MSRP and would sell out in less than a day. A day or two later GB sellers would have them advertised there, sellers simply bought from Midway for $699.00 and posted them on GB for $1200.00 and up and buyers would pay that. Same story with reloading components a year or so ago.
Bottom line is items are worth what people are willing to pay and paying insane prices for stuff just drives the prices higher. When people quit buying stuff for inflated prices the prices will come back down. Hopefully 🙏
I've seen this at gun shows. I went to a local gun show and a vendor was asking $400 for a Bersa Thunder Plus, which you can buy for less than $350 new online. Even gun shows are beginning to suck. The prices that some vendors charge for ammo is insane!

81 - 100 of 128 Posts