SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contemplating putting the SRT kit in my 239. It is my carry pistol. My question is. Is it the right thing to do for carry or is the SRT only for target shooting?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
It is fine for carry. Have at it.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
496 Posts
IMHO, It is a personal choice. Myself, all my DA/SA SIGs came with or SRT Kit was added. I prefer to have it including my EDC, SIG P229 SAS 357. P239 SAS 9mm also with SRT as backup gun.

Reactions: USMC6872

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Welcome from PA!

Short Reset Trigger not really NEEDED for casual, slow paced target shooting.

Competition use, probably would help.

I DO like the SRT.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just purchased a P225-A1, which has a SRT. At the time of purchase I also compared the P239, which is very similar in size, and it too had a SRT. It is my first Sig with the SRT, and I will need a bit of trigger time to be comfortable engaging and using it. It is not an automatic action, you have to have finger discipline to engage it after making a shot (meaning you must not let the trigger go to full re-set), otherwise, the normal SA trigger will result. So, it is an option for you to use when shooting, but is not the only way to shoot in SA.

That said, my opinion is that having a SRT for a defense situation would be a good thing should you need it in order to get multiple rounds off quickly. My feeling is that with practice, the SRT will allow me to get back on target quicker for quicker follow-up shots, which is what you would want in a situation where you are trying to neutralize a threat. This is what I believe it is meant for, not for quicker target or trick shooting. If your P239 is for defense, I would say install the SRT and practice with it so that it becomes natural to you. If simply for target shooting, I guess you can do that too if you choose.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Get the SRT. It takes a little practice to get use to it, but it's like riding a bicycle. Once you have it, you have it.

The way I utilize mine on my 227 SAS is that I keep the trigger fully depressed after a shot. Then I get back on target and let the trigger move slightly forward. It doesn't have to travel far before you feel and hear it click (reset). This drastically reduces the trigger travel distance on your next shot.

It does take a little practice, but it's well worth it !

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
It's dependent on your training, whether it's useful or not... if you were taught to "double tap" a target, it would come in handy. As mentioned, you need to practice trigger control, for it to be effective! If, after each shot you release (remove) your finger from the trigger, it will do you no good!

It is like most things advantageous, it takes practice, to be useful!!

Reactions: bumper and Big Cape

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Personal choice. I have not added it to any of my classic P series SIGs and never will. I have pistols with longer reset and shorter reset. I always let my trigger out a fair bit no matter what pistol I shoot. If I want I can shoot any of them plenty fast for SD situation but accuracy always comes first as my priority. I have noticed quite a few You Tube reviewers rave out reset of a pistol when they are playing with it but when they shoot faster then slow rate of fire they let the trigger all the way out between shots LOL.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have the SRT on an m11A1 and the standard trigger on an MK25. I can't double tap at any of the ranges I frequent so I really don't notice the difference since the standard trigger is so sweet to begin with. I personally feel that in a **** situation, I wouldn't notice anyway.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Welcome Roystu, I prefer pistols with a short reset, so I have added the SRT to several, including the X-5 Allround I used to have. As others have alluded to, probably not a big deal one way or the other in leisurely, no stress shooting. I found though that in training, qualification and matches, I would occasionally short stroke the long reset trigger of the traditional SIG DA/SA pistols. It's all just personal preference, but I wish all my traditional DA/SA SIGs, from the 1980s on, had come equipped with the SRT from the factory.........ymmv

BTW, Some SIG owners express disappointment with their SRT guns because the SRT didn't smooth up the double action, didn't make DA or or SA trigger pull lighter, etc. The SRT only shortens trigger reset. It was never intended to be a cheap trigger job,etc.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My EDC is P239 with SRT and I love it. It just takes a little practice to give your finger some muscle memory on the use of the SRT system.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My P229 got a SRT as well. I changed the way I shoot since I added the SRT. It improved my follow through since I hold the trigger back after the shot, bring the sights back on target then reset the trigger, verify proper sight picture and release the next shot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.