SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question.

So, every P-series I own and every one I have owned in the past has always had the short reset trigger. They either came with it or I installed it.

I currently own one Sig that doesn't have it installed. My MK25. For whatever reason, I have chosen to leave this particular pistol completely stock. Not sure why. Maybe it's the "phosphate coated internals" that I'm hesitant to replace? Maybe it's just that I don't necessarily feel an overwhelming need to modify every single firearm I own? I'm honestly not sure why I've chosen to leave this particular one stock.

My MK25 ranks #2 on my list of "if I could only own one handgun" and I have no complaints about it and shoot it quite well despite the reset being a bit longer than I'd ideally like.

So, do I put the SRT kit in it just to make it that little bit better than it already is or do I keep loving it for the sweet shooting, box stock pistol it is?

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I put them on all just for consistency. Where I really notice it is if I'm shooting a lot and go from SRT to non, there is always a moment of confusion like why aren't I shooting before it dawns on me.

·
Registered
19,531 Posts
^^^

Yes. Once you get used to the SRT, you may have issues shooting non-SRT guns. Your finger learns where the reset is.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I put them on all just for consistency. Where I really notice it is if I'm shooting a lot and go from SRT to non, there is always a moment of confusion like why aren't I shooting before it dawns on me.
This is the most compelling reason, IMHO, for SRTing ALL SIG weapons (whenever possible). This is the exact reason I try to keep all Sig weapons DA/SA, save for the P290RS (which of course is impossible). I even have one on my 1987 P226; it is not a carry weapon, but it's the one I want in my hands should, "Mad Max" rules ever apply.

The one exception is my 2006 P220 (German Frame/Exeter Slide). The original reset on that one is as instantaneous as ANY of my other Sigs (mostly SAS, so the SRTs were installed in the factory, anyways). The P226 SRT kit is the same as the P220 kit (except the P220 has a different decocker included), so ask me how I know? :D

Absolutely, put the original part in a secure location, so should you ever sell the weapon (which doesn't seem like even a remote possibility, anyways), you can always put it back in @ 5 minutes or less.

I'm curious...what is your number one, go-to, S#TF handgun, and why?

Good-luck with your decision.

-LC

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just put one in my MK25 Saturday and shot it yesterday, I love it and wouldn't go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
ray1970, if you bought the Mk25 for investment purposes, rather than shooting, then I would say don't install the SRT. Otherwise, install the SRT, and enjoy it. How many of us really NEED the SRT? Probably fewer than who would admit, and I know I'd include myself. This isn't the "Zombie Apocalypse" or "World War Three" and in times of strife, we aren't going to have an endless supply of ammunition, so trying to make our sidearms act like they're fully automatic is ridiculous... but FUN!

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
I'm a recent convert to the SRT. Once I decided that I prefer it to the standard reset, all my SIGs got it. I think there is a strong case to be made for consistency in SD pistols which mine are.

As to your MK25, converting it to SRT isn't a one way street. Convert it and save the standard reset sear and safety lever. Go back to the standard reset configuration whenever you want, for whatever reason you have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2 P239's in 357sig . One is older German frame , the other is newer with SAS & SRT . I could not tell the difference at first , but after reading the "sticky" , I can easily tell the difference . However , I never NOTICE the trigger variation while shooting . They both work fine . SRT does nothing for me as far as speed or accuracy .

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If it were mine, I'd leave it be and enjoy it. I've had both, and found that the subtle difference is exactly that- subtle. It wasn't, at least for me, a huge difference. It is more of a "I've got to have it" thing, than it is "my gun is sub-par without it". It isn't, and the standard Sig trigger is still superior to many guns out there.
As far as keeping your manner of arms consistent- I don't buy that for myself. Train, train, train. There is a lot more difference between my Sigs, Glocks, and 1911's, than there is between a non-SRT and an SRT gun. I'm more than comfortable switching out between different makes for carry, so the difference between an SRT/non-SRT gun is so small, it doesn't compare.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
The SRT is a nice option, but my personal taste is for the GG trigger you see on the Legion series guns. It is far superior to any other DA/SA trigger on the market by my estimation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay I can get the parts for about $100 for the SRT with the short trigger. How difficult is it to install - we are not gunsmiths but I have assembled some AR's and worked on my own guns for about 35 yrs

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
The SRT install and trigger swap are not hard at all. Watch some of the YouTube vids and you should be GTG.

BTW, you don't need to switch to the short trigger to do the SRT install. The SRT will function just fine with your standard trigger.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
The SRT is a nice option, but my personal taste is for the GG trigger you see on the Legion series guns. It is far superior to any other DA/SA trigger on the market by my estimation.
IIRC, the Legion DA/SA models use the same SRT that SIG puts in non-Legion models.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
IIRC, the Legion DA/SA models use the same SRT that SIG puts in non-Legion models.
IIRC? WRT the SRT triggers put on non-Legion models, no, they're not the same. The Legion model guns are equipped with Bruce Gray adjustable triggers from Gray Guns. To my knowledge, the Sig SRT trigger is not the same adjustable trigger system, and there is a significant difference btwn the two in terms of how quickly they actually reset. I've compared them several times side by side.

Reactions: Fardoche
1 - 20 of 56 Posts