SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got my 938 back a few weeks ago and it has performed much better but still not 100 percent reliable. I'm still getting the occasional failure to extract but now getting more and more failures to feed which I never got before. I thought it may just be the ammo but today I tried a couple different brands of 115 grain and and had 1 failure to extract today and 5 failures to feed out of 100 rounds out fo two different brands Magtech and Remington.

I had a few failures to feed last week also while shooting and a couple failures to extract. I even had a live round do a stovepipe? Not sure how to describe that one so I included a picture.

So I decided I was going to call Sig tomorrow and tell them the issues. I got home from the range today while cleaning my gun the piece fell out where the hammer strikes. I can slide the piece back in but it just falls out again. I included a picture. That piece falling out was the icing on the cake.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and try and see if I can get a new gun if that is even possible. I really love shooting this gun and its dead on accurate but I do not trust it one bit for a carry piece. My girlfriend has a 938 Equinox and does not even clean the damn thing and it never malfunctions. I feel I got a lemon and it has been very frustrating.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, sorry to hear about your 938 issues.

My advice is to wait til Tuesday to call. Monday is a wipe out day for them.
Thanks for the advice.........What a aggravating gun for me damn! I have a 320 compact and never had one single issue ever. I don't wanna give up on the thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had simular problems with a Kimber Solo. I sent it back 3 times. The first two they tried to say there was nothing wrong with it, and I was limp writing it. Both the first two times they claimed they fired 18 rounds, (3 mags) and could not find a problem. I had the gun back the following week. The third trip back I guess they tried to fix it. I called after two weeks and was told it was still in the shop working. After a month I got a call from my customer service rep, he told me they could not fix it and were sending me a new gun. The new one is perfect
about 600 rounds and not a problem. Hang in there.....

·
Registered
23,603 Posts
Ok so I got my 938 back a few weeks ago and it has performed much better but still not 100 percent reliable. I'm still getting the occasional failure to extract but now getting more and more failures to feed which I never got before. I thought it may just be the ammo but today I tried a couple different brands of 115 grain and and had 1 failure to extract today and 5 failures to feed out of 100 rounds out fo two different brands Magtech and Remington.

I had a few failures to feed last week also while shooting and a couple failures to extract. I even had a live round do a stovepipe? Not sure how to describe that one so I included a picture.

So I decided I was going to call Sig tomorrow and tell them the issues. I got home from the range today while cleaning my gun the piece fell out where the hammer strikes. I can slide the piece back in but it just falls out again. I included a picture. That piece falling out was the icing on the cake.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and try and see if I can get a new gun if that is even possible. I really love shooting this gun and its dead on accurate but I do not trust it one bit for a carry piece. My girlfriend has a 938 Equinox and does not even clean the damn thing and it never malfunctions. I feel I got a lemon and it has been very frustrating.
The live round sticking up is typically caused by a "bolt over base" malfunction.

Due to either a weak magazine spring or a recoil spring that is too strong for the load.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had simular problems with a Kimber Solo. I sent it back 3 times. The first two they tried to say there was nothing wrong with it, and I was limp writing it. Both the first two times they claimed they fired 18 rounds, (3 mags) and could not find a problem. I had the gun back the following week. The third trip back I guess they tried to fix it. I called after two weeks and was told it was still in the shop working. After a month I got a call from my customer service rep, he told me they could not fix it and were sending me a new gun. The new one is perfect
about 600 rounds and not a problem. Hang in there.....
I would just love a new one! i'm going to ask for that when I call as I figure its worth a shot. I really love this little gun just cant handle all the issues. Its so strange because the first 500-600 rounds I never had a single issue then they all started. Multiple failures to extract before I sent back first time and now failures to feed with an occasional failure to extract thrown in there and no ammo changes really that I can think of.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow! First 600 rds no issues? Then multiple problems?! Clearly explain to Sig, have patience, may the force be with you....

Have you greased the rails?

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
That piece is your firing pin stop which is normally held in position buy the base of the firing pin extending thru the hole in the stop. The firing pin (FP) is pushed back into the stop by the FP spring. That the stop keeps falling out suggests that there is a problem with the FP or the FP spring.

With the FP stop removed from the slide, the FP and spring should fall out of the slide by tilting the slide muzzle end up. If the spring has failed, it might bind up around the FP in which case the FP and spring may have to be pushed out by inserting a pin thru the FP hole in the breach.

I mention this in case you want to investigate the failure further. But certainly a call SIG in order.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! First 600 rds no issues? Then multiple problems?! Clearly explain to Sig, have patience, may the force be with you....

Have you greased the rails?

Oh yeah I grease the hell out of them with mil-comm gun grease. Yeah went through several hundred rounds not a single issue. I thought to myself wow what a flawless gun lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If all other fixes fail, get the number of a supervisor. I sent in a 1911 ultra 3 times and after 3 return trips, I found a supervisors number. After explaining that I own 3 other 1911s with no problems, I finally got a promise of a new gun if I was willing to wait a couple of months.
I got the new gun over a year ago and not a single problem with it. Be patient, the supervisor suggested a new gun to me. Best of luck with yours.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If all other fixes fail, get the number of a supervisor. I sent in a 1911 ultra 3 times and after 3 return trips, I found a supervisors number. After explaining that I own 3 other 1911s with no problems, I finally got a promise of a new gun if I was willing to wait a couple of months.
I got the new gun over a year ago and not a single problem with it. Be patient, the supervisor suggested a new gun to me. Best of luck with yours.

Excellent advice! I will ask to communicate with a supervisor. I didn't think of trying that yet thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That piece is your firing pin stop which is normally held in position buy the base of the firing pin extending thru the hole in the stop. The firing pin (FP) is pushed back into the stop by the FP spring. That the stop keeps falling out suggests that there is a problem with the FP or the FP spring.

With the FP stop removed from the slide, the FP and spring should fall out of the slide by tilting the slide muzzle end up. If the spring has failed, it might bind up around the FP in which case the FP and spring may have to be pushed out by inserting a pin thru the FP hole in the breach.

I mention this in case you want to investigate the failure further. But certainly a call SIG in order.
Thank you very much ThnkFrst for the info. Now when I call Sig I can tell them more specifics.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

I would see if you can get a full credit and buy a different model. Go with a 320 Sub or if you want a pocket gun go with the 238. I'm not a 380 fan but it seems there are a lot less issues with these then the 938's. How can you daily carry a pistol you can't trust? I bought 2 of these 4-5 years ago. Back when they were so hot they were selling for $700.+. I sold both of them. Now I carry a 1911 Ultra. I trust my life with this gun.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would see if you can get a full credit and buy a different model. Go with a 320 Sub or if you want a pocket gun go with the 238. I'm not a 380 fan but it seems there are a lot less issues with these then the 938's. How can you daily carry a pistol you can't trust? I bought 2 of these 4-5 years ago. Back when they were so hot they were selling for $700.+. I sold both of them. Now I carry a 1911 Ultra. I trust my life with this gun.

I actually have a 238 Equinox I bought used and it runs without any issues. 320 sub is an idea. I love this little gun and I'm good shooting it but it has too many issues. I'll see what sig can do about the situation. I definitely do not trust this gun for carry that's for sure. Them giving me a new gun seems unlikely but I dunno.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry you're having issues. I had a 938 with multiple issues after 400-500 rds and sent it back a total of 4x. Sig replaced the frame and then finally replaced the gun. As noted above, there is some sort of FP issue with yours in addition to the feeding issues. I had the FP issue at the end which Sig could not correct. Once they offered a new pistol I waited about 3 weeks til it shipped.
I just received it, so range time is tomorrow. I'm hopeful!

Stick with it, I found Sig's CS to be helpful and responsive. They communicated through email and by phone, usually on the same day.

Interesting that your FP issue sounds just like mine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry you're having issues. I had a 938 with multiple issues after 400-500 rds and sent it back a total of 4x. Sig replaced the frame and then finally replaced the gun. As noted above, there is some sort of FP issue with yours in addition to the feeding issues. I had the FP issue at the end which Sig could not correct. Once they offered a new pistol I waited about 3 weeks til it shipped.
I just received it, so range time is tomorrow. I'm hopeful!

Stick with it, I found Sig's CS to be helpful and responsive. They communicated through email and by phone, usually on the same day.

Interesting that your FP issue sounds just like mine.

I hope you got a good one and don't have any issues. They were very helpful the first time I sent it in and it seemed my issues were fixed but then all the failure to feed issues started recently with an occasional failure to extract still. I would love to just try a new one. A 938 Equinox sounds very good right now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I actually have a 238 Equinox I bought used and it runs without any issues. 320 sub is an idea. I love this little gun and I'm good shooting it but it has too many issues. I'll see what sig can do about the situation. I definitely do not trust this gun for carry that's for sure. Them giving me a new gun seems unlikely but I dunno.
Honestly. The 938 carries nicer then the 320 SC. My 320 is in 40. Heavier and more bulk. I carry OWB so it doesn't really matter to much to me. I kind of like the feeling of knowing a gun is there. And on the plus side I have no fear that when or if I need it it will fire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly. The 938 carries nicer then the 320 SC. My 320 is in 40. Heavier and more bulk. I carry OWB so it doesn't really matter to much to me. I kind of like the feeling of knowing a gun is there. And on the plus side I have no fear that when or if I need it it will fire.

I love carrying the 938 just wish it would work like it should. Very thin gun with my extreme grips on it.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.