SIG Talk banner

Time to buy my first Sig: P229 SAS Gen2 vs P229 Enhanced Elite?

5312 Views 35 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  WJR
Enhanced Elite is CPO but looks brand new. I called Sig and it is a 2014 model and he said it needed no work done to it they just did a typical refurb and sent it on it's way. The gun looks brand new, literally.

With that said I love love love the front serrations on the slide which I use to check the chamber sometimes. I also love the beaver tail because I grip as high as possible on my guns so I'm REALLY liking the beaver tail for that and also the look. However, I do have possible concerns with carrying a gun with a beaver tail. It would be carried at 3:30 but will it cause an issue possibly? Need some opinions there.

P229 SAS Gen2 is new. What's to say? It's rounded edges make it perfect for concealed carry but it doesn't have much of a beaver tail at all.

Price for the Elite is $799

Price for the SAS Gen2 is $879
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
11,371 Posts
I am a big fan of the 229, SAS. Perfect carry gun, extended beaver tail can get in the way for CCW. It's also non-railed.

Since the price difference is not too much, go with the new 229 SAS, and enjoy a Lifetime Warranty. CPOs are only covered for one year.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and enjoy a Lifetime Warranty. CPOs are only covered for one year.
Understandable and a concern. I mentioned that to Bill at Sig (If you need anything he would be the guy there I'd talk to, SUPER nice! I've talked to him 3 times in 3 days asking advice :lol: ) and he told me that is true, but getting guns worked on isn't often needed nor is it expensive usually. Which I'd agree with.

· Registered
991 Posts
Depends on if you want the beavertail and the rail (also front cocking serations. I have both and the enhanced elite has the front stap checkering while the sas does not. I am just not a fan of the exaggerated beavertail. I really like the 229 and 227 sas models i have though and they get carried the most.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
Don't need to check the chamber more than once when you watch the round go into it.
After that nobody is touching my gun so I know it's still there. Don't like FCS on guns although many of my 1911s have them. And I don't prefer rails either. Nice smooth rounded SAS for me like my 227 please.

Also I believe the Elite is all steel and the SAS is not correct? If so you're dealing with the addtl weight which one can feel on their hip every day every night.

So I vote 229 SAS.

· Registered
554 Posts
I was faced with the same decision recently. I went with the 229 SAS because I don't care for the rail either.
And, the 229 SAS was my first exposure to the E2 grips. I love them! The Elite comes with G10's, no? While I have some guns w/G10 grip sets, I slightly prefer the E2 grip texture.
That said, all G10's are not equal. I have a 239 Scorpion which came with G10 stocks (which style/name??). For me, they are not as nice as the recently acquired Checkered G10's I bought for my P220 Match SAO. Another set of Checkered are on the way for my 9mm BDA.
But I still prefer the E2 grips on the 229 SAS. I just installed E2's on my P220 Dark Elite and my older P229 in 40 S&W.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
If you carry at 3:30PM, even IWB, there shouldn't be an issue with a SIG P-series beavertail, because they're rounded. Plus your holster should have a sweat guard which adds a layer between you and the gun. If you carry OWB then you may want to get a holster with a sweat guard despite it not touching your body, the guard, again, acts as a layer between you and the gun.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you carry at 3:30PM, even IWB, there shouldn't be an issue with a SIG P-series beavertail, because they're rounded. Plus your holster should have a sweat guard which adds a layer between you and the gun. If you carry OWB then you may want to get a holster with a sweat guard despite it not touching your body, the guard, again, acts as a layer between you and the gun.
That's a good point I didn't think about.

Also that got me to thinking if a SAS would have a slimmer holster option vs the more blocky looking regular 229 design.

· Registered
1,216 Posts

· Registered
18,006 Posts
With that said I love love love the front serrations on the slide which I use to check the chamber sometimes. I also love the beaver tail because I grip as high as possible on my guns so I'm REALLY liking the beaver tail for that and also the look. However, I do have possible concerns with carrying a gun with a beaver tail. It would be carried at 3:30 but will it cause an issue possibly? Need some opinions there.
I have 3 different P series guns I rotate as my EDC IWB at 4:30 or so in an Alien Gear holster and I've been carrying one for around 4 years or so at this point.

All 3 have the large upswept beaver tail and I wouldn't have it any other way as I love the look.

Are they ever a problem or a concern? Absolutely not. I don't even realize that there is a beavertail when it's just sitting there in the holster.

· Registered
1,626 Posts
If it's gonna be a carry piece -> P229 SAS unless you REALLY NEED the rail and carry with light and/or laser. If you need the rail go with the Elite.

· Registered
523 Posts
P229 Stainless Steel Elite....

....came home with me last week.

$999 plus tax (9.5%) here in Washington.

She got a new pair of black-gray Hogue G-10 grips....stylish!!

Just installed a Wolff 17-lb. hammer spring that brought the DA pull down from over 10 lbs. to about 8 1/2.

We'll test this weekend to see if the 17-lb. hammer spring causes any light primer hits.

I have 18-lb. and 19-lb. springs to try if there are any issues.

Northlight

Attachments

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Having a few of each I prefer the SAS because I don't care for rails. As for the beaver-tail, it's a nop, to tell you the truth I haven't noticed, meaning it makes no difference to me, I'd have to look to see which of mine have it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.