SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, me too.
I've done 25 of my 39 radiation treatments to beat prostate cancer.

I'm going to build a light blue pistol because light blue is the color for the ribbon, only I don't wear ribbons.

It could be worse. Light blue ain't bad.

Any ideas?
I'm liking that little Kimber Bel Air.
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Electric blue

Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Machine

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found my cancer early through routine yearly screening.

My PSA level came in abnormally high and that got the testing started.

Any man who lives long enough is going to have prostate problems.

So, if you need a reminder? Go get checked. Nobody likes that rubber glove....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, that Kimber is Tiffany blue. My wife is a Tiffany fan so I know what to buy her based on the color of the packaging. She buys me tools that are yellow and black (Dewalt). :ROFLMAO:

Here’s a police gun I refurbed. The all Blue is a 40, then I got the Mk25 slide cheap and have it for 9mm. I really like the way it looks in the black and blue. The grips are Houge gray tan black checked.
View attachment 489575
View attachment 489574
That looks good.
Blue is a difficult color to get right but you nailed it on that one.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Luck> My doctor quit checking Me at 75. I've had two prostate operations. I guess They think once You reach 75 You've lived enough because it supposed to be a slow spreading Cancer,
Yep, I heard the same spiel but I'm 69. Active monitoring was offered but I wanted to be more aggressive. It is slow and I caught it early.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not the right shade of blue, but this one is factory.

Whew, that one looks almost like Blue Rainbow. I've never seen one like that

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went through the same process last year, opted for surgery over chemo (wasn't eligible for monitoring or radiation). It's been one year now (surgery was Nov 8, 2021), I moved from quarterly follow-ups to trimester follow-ups. If I make it through the next year without relapse, I'll go to bi-annual checks. It takes three consecutive years to be considered "cured."
That's great news oldrider!
Congratulations. With the odds being what they are, I knew there would be some other guys that had gone through this.

I have three sons and my diagnosis raised their odds too.
I'm going to be on em like ugly to get their testing done every year.....hell, even if it takes giving them each a blue pistol. 💙

Hoping for your cure too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think a blue gun is classy.

Just a side note, the radiation will eventually sap your strength for a while. At first, it seems like no big deal. But slowly the fatigue starts to build. The fatigue will continue to build until about a month AFTER the treatments are done.

Yes, you will get through it, be sure to be kind to yourself. On the one hand, push yourself, but pay attention to your energy levels and remember that you can run the tank dry really easy. Getting the tank "refilled" is a slow, hard process.
You are spot on. I'm sleeping about 10 hrs a night now and it's beginning to take it's toll. I'm catching a 4 day break over the Thanksgiving holiday and I'm really thankful for that breather.
Thanks for the heads up, plans for the triathlon are going back up on the shelf....for a while.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I didn't know there was a ribbon for this. But it's good that you caught it early. Caught mine early, too, had the IMRT back in the summer of '18. Had opted for the proton beam therapy, but MD Anderson was leery of using it because I have a pacemaker. I was 71 when I my PSA jumped up. The biopsy confirmed it. VA presumes it to be connected to Agent Orange exposure in 'Nam. Good advice for everyone to get regular checkups.
I didn't know about the ribbon until earlier today. I knew they have a ribbon for everything nowadays. I'm glad it's blue and not puke color.
Good luck on your battle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
At 52 I’ve just chosen a primary care physician… I used to joke that my dermatologist was my primary because that was the only doc I’ve needed for many years. Labs came back mostly normal but with elevated cholesterol. Doc says eat healthy and drop a few pounds and retest in 6 months. Colonoscopy coming up in 3 weeks. ☹
Wading in face first takes courage but it's the only way. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
First, let me say, you are in my prayers. Second thank God for modern medicine. Third, just wear a ribbon….because after you beat the cancer, I don’t want you to shoot yourself after looking at what you done to that pistol.
Seriously, be well and enjoy your family this holiday season.
Thanks. I will be finished in early December so it will be a time for us to gather. I hear ya on the ribbon too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Naps....naps are a wonderful thing.

Keep your protein intake up. Boost, Ensure, I like the Fairlife chocolate the best. Mix a little ice cream in if it helps.

Diagnosed with Stage IIIa non- small cell Lung Cancer back in Oct 2013. (Never smoked). Lung surgery, followed by concurrent chemo and radiation for 5 weeks, ( over Thanksgiving and Christmas). Cancer spread again the following six months to stage IV. They figured I had about 2 years.

Been on all kinds of meds, surgeries, a few hospital stays and getting immunotherapy infusion every 3 weeks for the past 4+ years. Still alive due to God's grace.... current immunotherapy wasn't supposed to work, it was a Hail Mary pass.....got infusion #89 last week.

You've got to be careful about burning too much energy and running your gas tank dry....it's absolutely NO fun. You'd think I'd learn 😁.....we have a small ranch and I get involved in some project and still try to push through it..... recovery from the empty tank is brutal. View attachment 489640
You're fighting bravely. I'll keep you in my prayers. Good advice on protein too. Thanks for your encouragement.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That Bel Air is a sweet little pistol!
Yeah, I really like it.....and....I have a pair of Beretta 92fs grips that are the same shade.

I've been working on the Beretta for a while now.... it could happen.

All stainless controls that I polished to a mirror finish.

Go big or go home. The 92fs is the biggest thing in the safe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the tip. I'll check into this.

We are what we eat and honestly, I've pretty much lived my life off the chain. Ate whatever, whenever, wherever. This has been a wake up alarm, that's for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts