SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thumb just naturally ends up on the mag release of my 938 when I draw. If I make a conscious effort, I can put my thumb just below it. Yesterday, my third range trip, I touched the release during fire and the mag dropped enough that the next round was not chambered. I know it was my thumb not some other issue because I shot several more mags without issue after changing my grip.
Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It is less common than inadvertently thumbing the slide release, but not unheard of.

In a thumbs forward grip, try resting your strong hand thumb on the outside of the base of your weak hand thumb. This should keep you clear of the controls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
u think u got problems - try shooting left hand & dropping the mag every time.
sig fixed the problem with a stronger mag release spring & 238 & 938 are 100 % now.
sig is good - if u have a problem - give them a chance to rectify the problem.
just sayin
dw

·
Registered
426 Posts
Huh. I wonder did they use a few different spring rates there for a while trying to pin it down? Because mine is quite stiff. I couldn't imagine accidentally touching it with my thumb and having it drop a mag. Sent mine in to Sig early April and got the new spring and a couple other fixes. Might be worth a call anyway.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just touching the release button should not make the mag drop.

There has been quite a few reports of 938 (and 238) pistols dropping their magazines. Sig has a fix for it.

I'd talk to Sig about it for sure if it was my pistol. Sig has very good customer service. No reason not to use it.

Locke

·
Registered
962 Posts
A full size 1911 mag release spring will work better. Just cut off a couple coils. Mine takes an intentional push to release, under light pressure mag still sits tight.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
The two things that will make the biggest difference in shooting are the grip and trigger control. Master these two and you're off to the races. Smaller guns like this are inherently more difficult to shoot for a number of reasons, one of which is the fact that they're harder to grip. In most cases, under stress, you're going to be shooting one handed, if you're lucky, so I would suggest practicing your one handed grip with repositioning your thumb. Try to work on running your thumb down the slide rather than the grip toward the mag release. It may not work for you, but it could.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My thumb just naturally ends up on the mag release of my 938 when I draw. If I make a conscious effort, I can put my thumb just below it. Yesterday, my third range trip, I touched the release during fire and the mag dropped enough that the next round was not chambered. I know it was my thumb not some other issue because I shot several more mags without issue after changing my grip.
Has anyone else had this problem.
Did this happen with the 7 round mag.. I have noticed that when using the 7 round magazine my grip changes. When this mag. is used my thumb can touch the magazine release button while gripping the gun to fire, it does not take a lot of pressure to release the mag., with the 6 round mag. it will not touch the release when gripping the gun to fire . I make sure that my thumb is not near the release when using the 7 round mag.. It seems to me that is why the stronger spring in the release is the fix. There is more pressure required to make the magazine release from the gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If my gun was manufactured in January 2017, I would assume it would have the correct spring installed. If not, is there a stronger spring that Sig is only providing when someone complains? If indeed it is the same spring that was installed, then the problem could reoccur. Placing my thumb on the release while gripping the gun to fire does not release the mag. When the shot is fired while the thumb is there the problem occurs. If the problem only occurs with the 7 round mags, is there some plastic that needs trimming?
I intend to call Sig and ask these questions. I have some new grips ordered as well. The hump on the brg grips for finger placement bothers me.
We'll see what happens, hopefully no more problems.

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Placing my thumb on the release while gripping the gun to fire does not release the mag. When the shot is fired while the thumb is there the problem occurs. If the problem only occurs with the 7 round mags, is there some plastic that needs trimming?
I intend to call Sig and ask these questions.
This is a known issue.

Guessing about springs here won't be much help - Sig knows about it and can resolve it for you.;)

Reactions: LockNLoad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taked to Sig tech. He said the spring in my mag release was the same spring they would replace it with. He said it might fix my problem. Might is not good enough. Also would not send me a spring, I had to send the gun in. Mine lasted less than 150 rounds before trouble started. I am going to replace the spring myself but not with Sig's. Ryan Jones2150 posted a fix by using a 1911 mag release spring and trimming to correct length. It is much stronger and according to him and others it works. I must say I am disappointed. I was concerned with other issues, trigger being the main concern. It turned out to be fine. I am going to make an effort to fix my problem and as soon as the springs that I ordered come in I will replace it and give it a try.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, we're all sure it's a problem with the spring.
What if we are all wrong?

I have this funny idea that a manufacturer, any manufacturer should make a reliable product. (Might fix doesn't work for me either).

There are a lot of reliable 938's in the hands of shooters. Are you sure you don't want to let Sig have a shot at it first?
Sig might find something none of us have thought of.
They made it, it's their baby. I'm thinking they should spank it when it acts up. But I'm kind of a hard arse, so there is that.

BTW, They'll pay shipping on a pistol as new as yours.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Locke

Reactions: SteveAikens

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Taked to Sig tech. He said the spring in my mag release was the same spring they would replace it with. He said it might fix my problem. Might is not good enough.
Okay, maybe I didn't make myself clear.

For reasons I can not comprehend, you seem to be overly focused on springs. Based on what I see you posting, I am lead to believe you called Sig CS complaining about springs.

The known issues I mentioned have ZERO to do with springs. The problems that are known are the catch point on the magazine lock/release component [the little button you push to release the magazine] - nothing to do with springs - and in some cases the magazines themselves having the catch point not properly cut.

I get that you want your new gun to function correctly and don't want to be without it. However, if you want it fixed correctly - stop focusing on springs.

Call Sig Customer Service.
Tell them exactly what is happening.
Tell them you want to send it in to get it fixed.
Tell them you want them to send you a call tag.

Do not mention springs! Just state the problem and let SIG decide what the problem is.

If you want it fixed right - that's the way to do it. If you know more about your gun than the manufacturer does - it gets treated like you decide to treat it. If you concede that the manufacturer knows more about the gun than you do, and let THEM decide what the issue is - it will get fixed properly.

Hell, they may even send it back --- with new springs...;)

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Well, we're all sure it's a problem with the spring.
No - we're not ALL sure it's a problem with the spring. In fact, just the opposite.

Gotta say, I've seen a lot of wild guessing about issues with firearms on this forum, but I'm a bit surprised to see just how short-sighted this thread seems to be and the focus on springs.

I have a coffee cup sitting on my desk.

What color is it?

My point - without knowledgeable folks seeing the gun - everyone should stop the guessing games and encourage the OP to send it to Sig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, maybe I didn't make myself clear.

For reasons I can not comprehend, you seem to be overly focused on springs. Based on what I see you posting, I am lead to believe you called Sig CS complaining about springs.

The known issues I mentioned have ZERO to do with springs. The problems that are known are the catch point on the magazine lock/release component [the little button you push to release the magazine] - nothing to do with springs - and in some cases the magazines themselves having the catch point not properly cut.

I get that you want your new gun to function correctly and don't want to be without it. However, if you want it fixed correctly - stop focusing on springs.

Call Sig Customer Service.
Tell them exactly what is happening.
Tell them you want to send it in to get it fixed.
Tell them you want them to send you a call tag.

Do not mention springs! Just state the problem and let SIG decide what the problem is.

If you want it fixed right - that's the way to do it. If you know more about your gun than the manufacturer does - it gets treated like you decide to treat it. If you concede that the manufacturer knows more about the gun than you do, and let THEM decide what the issue is - it will get fixed properly.

Hell, they may even send it back --- with new springs...;)
You seem to know exactly what I said to the tech. In fact I never brought up the word spring until I was told by the Sig tech that it sounded like a mag release spring issue. I told him the mags were dropping during fire. He said they would take a look at it. I asked if the problem would be solved and he said maybe. This gun was made in January 2017 and has less than 200 rounds fired. This is my first Sig and yeah I ain't happy about it. But I live 50 miles from the nearest Fed Ex. Easier for me to try and fix with a heavier spring. If that doesn't work I 'll send it to Sig and Maybe they will fix it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.