There was a mention about a bill going before Congress
that would remove Suppressors from NFA (?) and make
them easily accessible requiring No Stamp but leaving thr
Background Check in.
My question is Would a threaded barrel for Your model just
drop in to the Slide that You have or would You have to
Modify it or purchase a new Slide?

馃帠USN Retired
Sig makes many of their pistols with threaded barrels for suppressors. So, it would be a drop in. Of course, aftermarket barrels like Barsto may need a little filing to make them fit better.

Reactions: FLASIG and sigmanx

Registered
My question is Would a threaded barrel for Your model just
drop in to the Slide that You have or would You have to
Modify it or purchase a new Slide?
I have experience with one full size pistol, my M&P 9. I bought a threaded barrel for it and it drops in perfect. I can't see why this wouldn't be the same on other pistols.

I am in the process of getting a suppressor for it as this is my HD pistol. My other full size 9 is my new Legion, and it is for open carry.

Reactions: sigmanx

Registered
I just bought a p220 threaded barrel and it was not drop in. A friend also bought a threaded barrel for a p226 and it also required fitting. (Both barrels were purchased direct from Sig)

As far as the bill passing. It's great that the process has started but I suspect it will be a very long time before suppressors are able to be bought without tax stamp.

Registered
This past January I decided to replace the barrel in my HD p229 9mm with a threaded barrel. My thought is that if the Hearing Protection Act passes not only there will be a rush of people buying threaded barrels and suppressors.
As it is, the availability of threaded barrels is spotty some times. I figure there will be a shortage for a while.
Anyway, I bought it from SIG before the price increase with my 20% discount coupon. The barrel dropped in with no problems and it functions 100 %. Good accuracy.
I was told that in order to get a suppressor not only you have to shell out $200 fee/tax/fine, wait 6 to 9 months for ATF approval and get approval from your local sheriff or police chief. The town I live in Florida has the most anti-gun chief. The rank and file can't stand him but he kisses up to the City Commission. So my chances of getting a local approval is zero to nill.

Registered
Tennessee passed a "Hearing Protection Bill" that was signed into law last week by the Governor relaxing restrictions on suppressors. I am very unclear what it really means though since the tax stamps are federal and not state anyway?

Premium Member
Suppressors have been legal to own and use in Kansas for some time now. However, one still must go through the federal process to obtain one. Between the long process of the federal approval, cost of stamp for each suppressor, ffl fees of transfer, and cost of the suppressor, I don't see many used in my state. Strip away the bureaucracy and it's expense and I'll be seeing many. I'll have a few myself. Can't wait.

Registered
This past January I decided to replace the barrel in my HD p229 9mm with a threaded barrel. My thought is that if the Hearing Protection Act passes not only there will be a rush of people buying threaded barrels and suppressors.
As it is, the availability of threaded barrels is spotty some times. I figure there will be a shortage for a while.
Anyway, I bought it from SIG before the price increase with my 20% discount coupon. The barrel dropped in with no problems and it functions 100 %. Good accuracy.
I was told that in order to get a suppressor not only you have to shell out $200 fee/tax/fine, wait 6 to 9 months for ATF approval and get approval from your local sheriff or police chief. The town I live in Florida has the most anti-gun chief. The rank and file can't stand him but he kisses up to the City Commission. So my chances of getting a local approval is zero to nill.
Incorrect. As of last year 41F became final. You now no longer need your CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) to sign off on anything. You simply need to send them a notification letter stating your intent to purchase an NFA item. That's it as far as he's involved. You do however now need to send passport photos and fingerprints to BATF along with your suppressor form/application.

Here's the rule in detail.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/general41fquestionsandanswersupdated-6-28-16pdf/download

So your anti-gun Sheriff can go pound sand as he is now powerless to stop you from buying whatever you want. :cool:

Registered
Incorrect. As of last year 41F became final. You now no longer need your CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) to sign off on anything. You simply need to send them a notification letter stating your intent to purchase an NFA item. That's it as far as he's involved. You do however now need to send passport photos and fingerprints to BATF along with your suppressor form/application.

Here's the rule in detail.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/general41fquestionsandanswersupdated-6-28-16pdf/download

So your anti-gun Sheriff can go pound sand as he is now powerless to stop you from buying whatever you want. :cool:
WOW !!!
Thank you for the information. The only thing holding me back was the CLEO approval and that is no longer. I was about to purchase another SIG today but I will postpone it in order to proceed with my suppressor purchase.
The way I see it, a new gun is just a want; the suppressor is a need for HD.
Thank you again for the info.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.