SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I bought a CPO 229 in 40 which was totally refinished and looked brand new, came with SRT and all new springs. Couldn't find one flaw on it. Shoots the 40 like a champ. I can tell it was designed for the 40 cartridge. I love it. Also have an early 229 in 9mm which is nice.

You can keep the 40, buy a 9mm conversion barrel or even a 229 slide in 9mm for it if you wanted to go that route.

40 is a really versatile cartridge, outside of factory ammo you can load it weak to hot. What is now considered hot was once the original load.

I vote keep it!
Second on the complete 9mm slide. I bought both the P226 and P229 RX slides when they were on sale last year. Only thing I needed extra was a handful of 229-1 mags.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
[QUOTE="Willard, post: 5791551, member: 34002

Let those who can't handle the .40 S&W's recoil, depend on the 9mm and smaller calibers! So they can at least hit their target.
Yeah! Like the Navy Seals! Recoil babies! Lol

Not to open “The” can of worms but….In all seriousness, many choose the 9mm option over the 40 for reasons other than having a problem with recoil. (And also reasons other than because LE or Fed agencies use the 9mm). Purely shoot fast, and score multiple quality hits reasons. The important stuff. Higher mag capacity of the 9mm is gift with purchase bonus for me. Not the most important aspect but I’ll take it.
[/QUOTE]

“Not to open “The” can of worms but….In all seriousness, many choose the 9mm option over the 40 for reasons other than having a (problem with recoil). (And also reasons other than because LE or Fed agencies use the 9mm). (Purely shoot fast, and score multiple quality hits reasons. )The important stuff. Higher mag capacity of the 9mm is gift with purchase bonus for me. Not the most important aspect but I’ll take it.”

There is some contradiction or confusion in that statement. Are you saying that something other than recoil has an effect on your shooting fast with multiple hits?

Reactions: hauki and KenBry

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Thought about that too. From what I’ve read nothing is drop in, some fitting required which is not a huge problem.
The Barsto semi fit isn't too bad. Get yourself a couple of stones and DIY. They provide instructions. I just had to stone the locking surface area (1).

I have a P226 with .40, .357 and 9mm conversion barrel with 9mm recoil spring.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry for the messed up post and confusion. Short answer is yes, recoil does adversely affect follow up hits. I know guys who carry 40 and are highly skilled shooters and they all concede this. Main point I guess was that guys who choose 9mm aren’t doing so because the big bad 40 is hurting their delicate hands :)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Sorry for the messed up post and confusion. Short answer is yes, recoil does adversely affect follow up hits. I know guys who carry 40 and are highly skilled shooters and they all concede this. Main point I guess was that guys who choose 9mm aren’t doing so because the big bad 40 is hurting their delicate hands :)
When I’m introducing new shooters to firearms, I try to take a pretty good selection to choose from. After they struggle with loading mags, I show them a maglula. It’s good for a laugh. After the struggle with SA/DA and the inherent learning curve, they get a little discouraged. We shoot 9mm, 40SW and even some 38/357 wheelguns. Then I pull out a P228 and empty a mag shooting SA only into a ragged hole. Gives them something to think about on the way home.

Reactions: hauki and AzMaz

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
There are few guns that I kick myself for turning over. Usually, if I do so, it's for a good reason.

But the P229 ASE in .40S&W is one that I supidly traded in years ago and will continue to haunt me. I have yet to shoot any other pistol of that size that handles .40 as well as the P229.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
As with Boriqua I would see many others go before my 229's. Yes, that is plural. I like the 40calbut like the 357 Sig even better. I have no nines and all 4 are both 40 and 357 including a Legion fondled by Robert Burke.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
My P229 (West German frame and US made milled slide) is a police surplus pistol with DAK trigger.

It's unique, and valued in my group of SIGs - not leaving soon...

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 229 in .40 is in my carry rotation and I mainly keep it and practice with it as my duty weapon when deployed is a DA/SA M11.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a fan of the .40 round and have been collecting. 40 CZs for a while. There are also a couple of G23s in the safe and until recently, a pair of G27s. It was not until I picked up a P229 Legion in .40 that I really found a gun that felt like it was built for the .40 round. The closest I've found outside of the Sigs is a CZ SP01 in .40.

My favorite though is my P226R. That makes .40 feel like a 9mm with light target ammo.

Don't be too quick to let that .40 P229 go. They really are great guns

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've got a P229 in 40 & 357 Sig. I also have a separate slide I got fairly reasonable from a member here along with several magazines.
I don't have any problems with the 40 as far as recoil goes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought a P229 .40 S&W DAK used on Gunbroker for cheap (I blame Willard for goading me into buying it; he twisted my arm the right way🤣) during the height of the pandemic. It was my third P229 .40, my first being my old duty P229 .40 S&W with AF prefix I bought used in 1998 and waiting for Wright Armory to re-finish the NP-3 on the slide (Cannot complain since I literally used it very harsh conditions and the finish lasted twenty-three years) And the second P229 I did some major work on it. Because I live in CA and even LEO’s are not exempt from buying one firearm a month (hate CA) I had to wait a bit to pick it up. When I did get it the Sig was not in bad shape but was missing a lot of parts. It came with no magazines but that was not a problem because I have a lot; however, it was missing a firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin safety and spring, firing pin position pin, hammer reset spring, and had dead mismatched Siglite front sight and Trijicon rear night sight.

Lucky for me, I had all the parts to convert the frame from DAK (carried as a duty weapon and not a fan of the the trigger system) to DA/SA. I also added a Armory Craft Flat trigger, a Sig Armorer Hammer Strut complete assembly, and Hogue G-10 Extreme grips. On the slide I added the firing pin, firing pin safety, Armory Craft firing pin spring and safety reset spring, Sig firing pin positioning pin, and Siglite Night Sights. All in all it came out excellent and super happy Willard twisted my arm. Thanks brother, and you know your Sigs! A few months ago I bought a Secret Service overrun .357 Sig complete slide, and I might switch it out once I get my original P229 slide from Wright Armory.

Here is my take on the Sig P229, and it only my personal opinion: the Sig P229 was specifically designed for the .40 S&W/.357Sig to handle the brute force of those calibers, and it feels “unnatural“ in 9mm to me. If I wanted a 9mm from Sig I would rather use either my Sig P226 or P228 that is comparable in that platform.
6B0C068C-77BF-49FE-AF24-3EEDAD2C7E86.jpeg
8DA9F947-8B10-4258-818F-6350D9B7FADD.jpeg

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I like .40 S&W and already feel like the arguments the FBI made for switching were either wrong or are already outdated.

For example:
An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association (note, I don't agree with all the conclusions),
and

My favorite caliber is .357 SIG (though I am a big fan of .355" calibers generally), but I think they all have a place.

I bought a P229 in .40 2-3 years ago, sold the barrel and purchased .357 SIG and 9mm barrels for it, but then bought another .40 barrel for it again later. I especially like Underwood's offerings.

My preference, however, is to shoot .40 out of a heavier gun (like my P229). That's what the P229 was specifically designed for. It's perfect for .357 SIG as well. I prefer 9mm in my lighter guns.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
The Barsto semi fit isn't too bad. Get yourself a couple of stones and DIY. They provide instructions. I just had to stone the locking surface area (1).

I have a P226 with .40, .357 and 9mm conversion barrel with 9mm recoil spring.

View attachment 409283
I agree. I have the same 9mm barrel for my P229 and highly recommend it. Although the lateral lock up is not as tight as an OEM barrel, there is absolutely no play vertically (pushing on the barrel hood which I heard was more important). The minor hand fitting was very easy to do. I train with 9mm as .357 SIG is expensive (similar to how police carrying .357 Magnum would train with .38 Special).

Reactions: jetflier1989

·
Registered
22,410 Posts
odd question.....will a 9mm slide from a DA/SA fit and function on a 40SW DAK frame (Classic P229 to a new framed 40SW)?
If the 9mm slide came from a P229 that uses the straight-sided mags and the barrel is NOT marked P229-1, the answer is No. If you have a newer 9mm slide with the barrel marked P229-1, then yes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Even on a rainy day I'd not give up my P229. Though not my daily shooter, I believe in having a range of calibers at my disposal.
SIG P229.JPG

21 - 40 of 70 Posts