SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing what the consensus is now that Sig has pretty much abandoned the 40 cal. I’ve always read that the P229 made more sense in 40/357Sig than in 9mm.

I know there were a ba’zillion of them manufactured. Tons of police trade ins. However the weird thing is, compared to other guns chambered in 40 I hardly ever see 229’s in 40 cal showing up on the used market.

I have a 229 in 40 cal and was considering horse trading it for one in 9mm. Now I’m starting to rethink that whole idea.

What’s everyone else planning on doing with their 40 cal 229? Hold or fold?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,860 Posts
I've got several .40s, in P226, P229, and P239, besides a Beretta 96FS.

The round is fine, and will be around as long as I need it. It was around for quite a while, after all of the 9mm sold out. Of course, it's being manufactured again, and in many cases, at pricing lower than 9mm, since not as many hoarding it, keeping prices up.

Let those who can't handle the .40 S&W's recoil, depend on the 9mm and smaller calibers! So they can at least hit their target.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,860 Posts
I've got three P229s,in 40, Two P226s two P239s plus a Glock 22 and a S&W M&P.
Sig still has mags for the one I have but not Mine in 9MM.
If you're talking P229-1 9mm magazines... 15 round Magazine for the 9mm P229, Flush Fit | SIG SAUER

If you're talking Legacy version 9mm magazines... P229 MAGAZINE, 229, 9, 15 RD (Legacy Models) (sigsauer.com)

You need to sign up for notification, as both have been available for at least a week, from checking for another member!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a CPO 229 in 40 which was totally refinished and looked brand new, came with SRT and all new springs. Couldn't find one flaw on it. Shoots the 40 like a champ. I can tell it was designed for the 40 cartridge. I love it. Also have an early 229 in 9mm which is nice.

You can keep the 40, buy a 9mm conversion barrel or even a 229 slide in 9mm for it if you wanted to go that route.

40 is a really versatile cartridge, outside of factory ammo you can load it weak to hot. What is now considered hot was once the original load.

I vote keep it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
[QUOTE="Willard, post: 5791551, member: 34002

Let those who can't handle the .40 S&W's recoil, depend on the 9mm and smaller calibers! So they can at least hit their target.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Like the Navy Seals! Recoil babies! Lol

Not to open “The” can of worms but….In all seriousness, many choose the 9mm option over the 40 for reasons other than having a problem with recoil. (And also reasons other than because LE or Fed agencies use the 9mm). Purely shoot fast, and score multiple quality hits reasons. The important stuff. Higher mag capacity of the 9mm is gift with purchase bonus for me. Not the most important aspect but I’ll take it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a P229 in 9mm and 40SW. For me, they shoot equally well, the 40 SW is DAK, which is a different animal in itself. The 9mm is 15+1 and the 40 is 14+1. IMHO, the 40 is a little snappier, but I certainly don’t see a recoil issue. The 40 is my EDC. Just don’t ask me why the 40 versus the 9.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm a fotay guy so it's a keeper. I have one P229 9mm just because I love the look of smooth chin that was available on GunsAmerica.

Reactions: hauki
1 - 20 of 70 Posts