SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner of the local convenience store/gun shop told me about a new 686 that he has in the case. Someone had put a non-refundable deposit (not sure why) on it, and was declined because of a restraining order. Earl is going to give things a couple more days to see if it clears up, and has offered it to me at a reduced rate (reduced the amount of the deposite), I'm not a revolver guy, but it sure is a beauty. To preface, I doubt that I'll get it, but I do want to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: sigsrok

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're going to have a revolver, can't think of any current production model that would be better! Well, maybe the 986! Or the R8! lol

Does it have the internal lock or no?
No idea.
Mills, that is one of my hang ups- the gun is so long. If it were a 4", it would be a harder decision.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
If it's a new deluxe 6" and the price is south of $600 it's a pretty good deal. I personally prefer the 4" but know others who swear by the 6" as far as balance. That part is up to you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Six inch barrels aren't my thing but if the price is right it's hard to beat a 686.

I also prefer the pre-lock models but wouldn't shy away from one with the lock if the price was right.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
hodge, for carry, a 6" would be a "long draw" so to speak in any kind of a hip holster... in a vertical shoulder holster, like a Bianchi X-15 not so bad. With the full lug, it would hang heavy at the muzzle... could be helpful if you were hunting and stoked it with 180 grain loads, for larger deer, or even pigs. They can be very smooth shooters, I guess it would be dependent on your plans for it.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Reactions: kansascity45

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,030 Posts
I have a 686-1 with a 4" barrel. It was a police trade-in from the Memphis PD. It makes firing .357 Magnums feel like you are shooting a .38 Special. They are well built revolvers and highly regarded in the revolver world.

Mine does have a few character marks but not bad for a former police gun.

Hope it works out for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
If you aren't a revolver guy, and you have no desire to become one I would say no. But if you harbor secret cylinder desires then I'd have to know the price. I'm like Ray on the Internal Locks...but I cannot afford what people are asking for the pre-lock Smith's.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hodge, for carry, a 6" would be a "long draw" so to speak in any kind of a hip holster... in a vertical shoulder holster, like a Bianchi X-15 not so bad. With the full lug, it would hang heavy at the muzzle... could be helpful if you were hunting and stoked it with 180 grain loads, for larger deer, or even pigs. They can be very smooth shooters, I guess it would be dependent on your plans for it.
Plans? Before today, I'd had no plans, whatsoever. I definitely wouldn't carry it. If I did buy it, it would be just to have one. I certainly don't "need" any more.

Because it's brand new, I assume that it has the internal lock.
Price is North of $600. From what I'm seeing, Earl doesn't have it priced to sell.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
The only revolver I have, is a S&W 686-6, 4" barrel. I love it!!

I felt the 6" barrel was a bit heavy, but probably softer shooting and a bit more accurate.

686 is a classic gun.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Convenience store/gun shop" I'm just 50 miles from hog heaven, but cannot enter.
3 miles from the house, go to church with the owner, the last two guns I bought, he took me to the computer, showed me his cost, and asked what I wanted to pay for it... he doesn't keep any Sigs on the shelf, though.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
686 is a fine gun, I'm the odd ball I guess as I prefer the 6"
I held it today- it felt good. He wants $750, out the door, which seems high. I told him that I was passing on it. He's got 4 other people looking at it.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good decision! Bud's has one at $691 with free shipping!
Price played a small part, but Earl has done me some kind favors in the past- I wouldn't lose any sleep over paying him a little more.
The gun is nice, beautiful, and a classic. But, it isn't me. The 225A1 that I just bought- that's me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.