SIG Talk banner

Thoughts on pocket carry vs appendix?

1057 33
Like e title says, opinions on either and why you prefer it?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi I think it is a personal choice. However, in either case a quality holster is mandatory.

I tried pocket carry with a 365. I almost immediately discovered I am a first class slob.
I started with a quality holster that mainly covered the trigger. I had no idea my pocket was such a dirty place: the lint n stuff on the gun after first carry. I had to change to a full coverage holster. Comfort level: A+, assuming attire allows.

Appendix: depends on gun, 365 320 229 sized ok and kinda comfy. anything bigger no thanks, unless you don’t plan on sitting while you carry.
Confort: B+ to D- depending on user/ gun combo.

·
🎖USN Veteran
Sig P220, P226, P227, P228, P365XL, P365XL, M400 TREAD, 716i TREAD, 516 G2 Patrol, MPX K
2,420 Posts
That’s not exactly an even comparison. Pocket carry is very dependent on the specific gun. Appendix carry works for a wide range of guns. In general, I would pick appendix carry and pick a gun that works for me.

Reactions: New320X and STR1

·
Registered
184 Posts
I pocket carry my P365 in a Galco Pocket Protector pocket holster in everything from business attire to jeans or cargo pants. I like the idea of appendix carry, but the bulge is too obvious in a fitted button-down shirt and even in jeans and a t-shirt. The only way I can carry IWB with a less prominent bulge is at the four-o'clock position.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
My carry choices are dictated by my clothing requirements. I still work in an office that requires a suit, or a blazer or jacket and wool slacks. I wear a T-shirt to do chares, never in “public,” and I wear shorts on vacation. Casual attire is chinos and a tucked polo or full-placket shirt. Jeans and untucked T’s or flannel announce ‘carrying’ where I live. Cargo pants are for nature activities.

AIWB won’t work in the clothes I wear. When I can cover it I carry a P229 or P365x in a fitted IWB Kydex holster at 4:00; either disappears under a blazer or suit coat. When necessary (casual social gatherings) I carry a P365 in a DeSantis Nemesis or Alabama Kydex pocket holster in baggy chinos. My pockets don’t seem to accumulate lint.

Range sessions practicing my draw stroke in a blazer and slacks are a hoot - the looks I get . . . .

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you wear cargo pants a big pistol can fit in a front pocket. Up to and including a Commander size 1911 or a Beretta 92fs. OK, I am jumbo size so maybe you wouldn't have as much real estate in your britches as I do.

I do much better in any type of IWB carry attempt with a BIG pistol. The more of the pistol you can get below the beltline, the more stable it's going to be. A short barrel pistol will have most of the weight in the handle. Even with a good gunbelt and holster a short barrel pistol will tend to roll outward, away from your body. This is a creepy feeling.

Now what I'm telling you is counter intuitive, I get that.
I urge you to try it with an unloaded pistol, Mexican Carry. No holster, just walk around the pad, check out sitting and moving. Try 1 o'clock and then 3 o'clock. Yes, the pistol will move around. That's exactly what you want. Think like water seeking its own level. That pistol will tell you where it's comfortable in your waistband. I think that you're going to be surprised.

I always pick a pistol to carry that I really shoot well. I do have a couple in the rotation simply because they are easy to carry. Funny thing is that I don't shoot them well because they are small and light.

I guess you can tell by now that I like big pistols. I shoot them better....and they carry better.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I only P320C with optic AIWB, very fast on threat. You are facing the threat using AIWB if threat is at 12:00. With side draw much slower on target. I made the decision to AIWB exclusively when I was accosted in a market late at night. I did not have to draw from 3:00 (was carrying an FsN), but realized that it would be much slower if the person charged me with a weapon, so I exclusively AIWB the P320C now. Its much easier to move diagonally off the X away from the threat while you draw AIWB and fire. I use a custom AIWB holster as shown in my signature. I would never pocket carry under any circumstances, way to slow for my needs.

Reactions: New320X

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I like both.

Pocket carry in Gas Station mode is pretty useful. I can be standing beside the pump, with a master grip on my gun, all while looking around me, waiting for it to click off. No one has a clue.

For the gym; I generally have my BUG on me in a Dark Star Hitchhiker clipped to my gym shorts AIWB.

For normal carry, I find Appendix with my P365X doesn't weigh my pants down like strong side, and I don't have to tighten my belt nearly so much. I've done some work on the timer AIWB concealed, and the time penalty for moving my cover garment out of the way doesn't slow me down that much compared to an OWB draw out of my USPSA CO rig. I like Appendix for moving through crowds. My hands tend to be located in that area anyway; I'm almost in "pre-draw" location/mode all the time.

I needed a lot of experimenting with Appendix in terms of holster brand, guard, PTD vs. clip selection, mounting height, cant, wing shape, padding material type (both lower and upper), and belt position before it dialed in for me.
Sleeve Font Line Pattern Illustration

Carry is a personal thing though, and highly dictated by your particular shape. I'm more or less normal size these days, having lost a lot of weight to 180# 34" pants; when I was 215# 38" two years ago, these options weren't available to me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I carry 365 in Vedder AIWB, or Desantis Nemesis all depends on attire that day. This includes suits, shorts, jeans. Big fan of 5.11 Stryke shorts and pants. Expensive yet wear like iron stay in shape, and last a long time.
I ran across the Vedder holsters in advertisements when I was searching for an AIWB holster but never saw any reviews on them. They looked like the best ones out there, but I couldn't be sure. I'm encouraged to see them being used by so many on this forum. It looks like I might be getting one at some point.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can’t carry appendix comfortably. My anatomy will not allow it, despite me trying the appendix holsters that claim to be made for people like me.

I prefer pocket carry in the summer when I can wear the proper clothing.
The only downside I see with it is when driving in the car. I’m right handed and the seatbelt connects right over my pocket, making a draw from there problematic.

for those times I will be carrying off body in my cross body bag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's been several years, but I carried via front right pocket carry for 5 years using various pocket holsters with a S&W 638, Taurus 605, Sig P938, and a Glock 33. I thought it was nice to not have to worry about utilizing a true gun belt nor carrying an owb holster. At the time I was unfamiliar with iwb carry options. Also, with the revolvers, there was the option shooting at very close range through the pocket.

As far as pocket carry VS appendix carry, for me no contest, pocket carry. Tried appendix (granted only for a day), not for me. Uncomfortable at the least.

That being said, for the last 7 years been carrying strong side about 3-4:30 iwb.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If I pocket carry, it's a narrow Ruger LC9 .... if I carry outside the waist, it's a Sig .... generally.

I don't like IWB.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Body types also have something to do with it.

Although I have carried appendix, when I sit down it's uncomfortable. So, I don't.

Front pocket carry in the summer, (238 or 365).
4 O'clock under a cover shirt in the winter. (365x or 239)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried pocket carry but couldn’t make it work comfortably. Always felt like the gun was pulling down that side even with a good belt. I carry appendix but like has been said body type plays a part. I’m skinny with no belly so it works for me. Once I put it on I hardly notice it’s there. My Dad carries a 43x pocket in a good holster and loves it. I’d try both and see what works best for you

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’m skinny with no belly so it works for me.
How do you do it? I'm skinny with no belly, too, and when I experiment with AIWB, it looks like I have something shoved under my shirt when I wear just a t-shirt in the summer. That's why I go with the 4:00 position if I carry AIWB because it's natural for a shirt to billow out around the back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts