SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my p320 XCompact for a little over a month now, and have only changed the grip module. I've got a list of "mods" or "add ons" I'd like to make, but have read some comments about not pouring a lot of money into modding your EDC outside of a red dot or light.

Just wanted to get some feedback.

I'd like to change out the slide, trigger, and add a gas pedal as well as RDS and light.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Go head on.
I'm thinking that it's a rite of passage.
Keep your old parts like a trail of bread crumbs back to square one if you need to.
Throw the kitchen sink at it.

I've been at it for quite a while now. I like flashy pistols but they are stock....at least EDC pistols. I get into left field on range pistols and BBQ guns.

After you accumulate a second pistol you have some maneuvering room for modifications.

· Registered
304 Posts
You will get two opinions (at least). There are folks who say don't carry a fancy gun for EDC because if you have to use it, the police will take it as evidence. You will either get it back after a long time or perhaps never. That is one reason they say not to put a lot of "bling" on it. The other thing that is said is don't get your gun modified. If you modify it some way (lighter trigger, etc.), some also say that the prosecutor, if YOU end up getting prosecuted or the plaintiff's attorney if you get sued by the person you shot, will make a big deal about how your pistol was modified.

Speaking as one whose carry gun (if I felt that I needed to carry a gun) was a P7M8, I suggest that you carry what you shoot well and are comfortable with. I had to sell the P7M8 years ago so I now carry slightly modified 365s, one with an optic. I am happy with the triggers, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't hesitate to have them worked on. When I carry a gun, I want a gun that is comfortable, modified if necessary to get it to where I can shoot it to the best of my ability. That's my advice. YMMV of course.

· Registered
102 Posts
I have only added the Holosun EPS Carry to my Macro, which is my EDC. I am in the process of building another Macro with all the customizations I want. I might add them to my EDC, but I know most won't make me a better shooter. I would be better off putting the money into training, but I do want something I can tinker with.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Beautiful black lab, @Brian_Patrick !!

Welcome to Sig Talk. For a CCW I want less rather than more. Less weight, less holster size, less attachments that can hang up on my clothing during a draw, less things that can fail like batteries, less things I have to manipulate or worry about (I could include manual safety here, but that is a separate discussion and you can search for MANY past threads). The more you add to your pistol the harder it can be to find a holster, and it may be more expensive. There are many companies out there wanting to separate you from your money. Get a good second magazine holder. I like the horizontal ones from Magholder.com. Just my opinion on the internet.

· Registered
161 Posts
I've had my p320 XCompact for a little over a month now, and have only changed the grip module. I've got a list of "mods" or "add ons" I'd like to make, but have read some comments about not pouring a lot of money into modding your EDC outside of a red dot or light.

I'd like to change out the slide, trigger, and add a gas pedal as well as RDS and light.
Remember the "gas pedal" can really limit your holster options.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,104 Posts

Of course everyone has their own concept of what an Every Day Carry weapon should consist of. Some align to the "Keep It Simple Stupid" message, while other desire flamboyant. Anything added, can become a snag, looking for something to "grab"...

In more simple terms, an EDC should be reliable, easy to access, and easy to deploy.

Another old analogy of "Murphy's Law", if something can go wrong, it likely will... makes things like battery operated devices, questionable, if their presence while inoperable, is a hindrance to use of the weapon.

Real Life is not like a Match, where there are alibis, and "do overs"... something to actually contemplate.

· Registered
108 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy. Life's too short to do otherwise. But if you're asking if any of those proposed mods will make it a better EDC firearm? Do you need that justification to do it?

I have a couple of guns I love to shoot at the range but my EDC, to me, is just a tool that is going to show the wear of EDC. And, no one will ever see it but me and a bad buy I hope I never meet so what do I care what it looks like?

· Premium Member
118 Posts

Whatever you decide, the more mods you make the more practice rounds you need to fire to ensure reliability and safety.

· Vendor
192 Posts
Beautiful black lab, @Brian_Patrick !!

Welcome to Sig Talk. For a CCW I want less rather than more. Less weight, less holster size, less attachments that can hang up on my clothing during a draw, less things that can fail like batteries, less things I have to manipulate or worry about (I could include manual safety here, but that is a separate discussion and you can search for MANY past threads). The more you add to your pistol the harder it can be to find a holster, and it may be more expensive. There are many companies out there wanting to separate you from your money. Get a good second magazine holder. I like the horizontal ones from Magholder.com. Just my opinion on the internet.

Thanks for the shout out!

Adding my two cents here I tend to agree. I have thought a few times about adding a red dot or light on my P365X however I have not as I have not wanted it to be too bulky. And I tend to go more the cynical route of the OEM sights that come on the firearm will never fail me compared to potentially not having a red dot work when I need it most. I'm sure the odds of that happenning are very small, but still something I think about so for my EDC pistol I keep it pretty basic and make sure I shoot and train regularly with it.

· Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
After an EDC incident, the fewer questions you have to deal with, the better.

I keep EDC guns well maintained, and stock simple. No modifications from what the manufacturer supplied. Just a well engineered, well maintained self defense firearm. Buy the best tool and keep it responsibly.

As mentioned, put your time and money into developing your own skills and your confidence will rise to match them.

· Registered
51 Posts
The only non-oem part on my EDC gun is the rear sight. I am running the Meprolight FT Bullseye. Bright, and no batteries.

You want to change the slide? Ok, buy an aftermarket slide that is cut for the RDS of the week and keep it for a range toy.

The trigger? The first thing Armory Craft will tell you is NOT to use the double adjustable trigger for EDC or home defense. In writing. In the package.

The gas pedal? If you have used one and like it, absolutely.

After watching the Rittenhouse trial, I want my carry gun to look as "normal" as possible. If some DA wants to wave my pistol around, the 12 weapon ignorant jurors should see a plain old gun.

· Registered
11 Posts
Remember - everything about you will be an avenue to attack your character. Keep yourself simple, silent and humble and your EDC stock.
This is exactly what my take has been. I think a prosecutor or attorney pursuing a civil suit would go to town on a blinged-up carry gun. Reliable and subtle is good. Every minute you spend on the range shores up reflex and muscle memory. Those are prime investments. Keeping your stupidly expensive carry ammo in your range rotation is important too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts