SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, all.

My wife has a P229 SCT 9mm and we are both quite fond of it. I have been a fan of the 9mm and .45 since I fired my first P-38 and Colt 1911. For a couple of reasons, however, I've been pondering giving the .40/.357 a go. I'm fairly well convinced I want the P229 platform as it has the beef I think a handgun needs to handle the .40/.357 pressures.

At the risk of sounding a bit of a snob, I'd prefer something with a bit more jazz than a base P229, and please forgive me, I just can't stand the E2 grips. Used, CPO, new is not an issue. If it's a good deal, and the firearm is in good shape, then it's, well...all good. :)

With all that said, what might you folks opine as a model I should look for? Elite Dark, Scorpion, a model I'm not familiar with? lol

Thank you all very much, and have a great day!
Aaron

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Well, I agree with you in that I think the P229 is the most perfect platform for these calibers, but I'm not a fancy sorta guy. My recommendation for you would be the new Legion P229. One can buy either the .357 Sig or .40, and then procure the other barrel respectively, for a fraction of the cost of the pistol. Nothing "stock" about this gun, as I'm sure you're aware, and it is quite possibly the most perfect gun made for these calibers, IMHO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Completely agree with GCBHM. My 229 Legion is in .357 and I love it. Another model though that is also great in .357 is the 239 if you want something slimmer. I have the SAS Gen2 and while not as decked out as the Legion, it does have the Short Reset kit and shoots so smooth.

Reactions: Eric357 and GCBHM

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank ya, GCBHM. The Legion is truly my first pick, but as much as I like a bit of pizzazz, I'm not sure I can bring myself to drop that much coin on a sidearm. At the risk of contradicting myself, if I could find an older P229 or P229R without the E2 grips, I'd likely jump on it and be completely satisfied. One thing most folks that know me will say is I am not easy on my firearms. I don't hammer nails or stir stew with them, but neither do I baby them. They are tools. They are carried and bumped and clonked (I avoid dropping them, though) and generally treated as tools. Clonking a Legion on a door frame or arm of a chair might bring me to tears lol.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'd get a CPO one. They are great deals right now. The E2 grips can be replaced easily with anything you like. If you want something fancier, I'd recommend the Equinox or the Stainless Elite.

P229 is the best platform for 40/357SIG. IMO more so than P226.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Completely agree with GCBHM. My 229 Legion is in .357 and I love it. Another model though that is also great in .357 is the 239 if you want something slimmer. I have the SAS Gen2 and while not as decked out as the Legion, it does have the Short Reset kit and shoots so smooth.
If I could convince myself that $1200 would be a solid investment, SigLegion, I'd jump on it lol. In the end, though, I just may. Word I'm reading and hearing is the Legion .40 and .357 aren't in high demand, primarily due to price. Maybe in a few more months, maybe the price drops a bit. I'll certainly be watching.

I've considered the 239 but I'd like, at least at the moment, more rounds than the 239 offers. Definitely not out of the running, but for the moment it's on the back burner. I do love the looks of the 239 Scorpion...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd get a CPO one. They are great deals right now. The E2 grips can be replaced easily with anything you like. If you want something fancier, I'd recommend the Equinox or the Stainless Elite.

P229 is the best platform for 40/357SIG. IMO more so than P226.
I've got a local dealer that gets many CPO models from Sig sales folks, most of them used only at trade shows. CPO is a fantastic route to go, but my contact has no CPOs in stock, and I do like giving him my business when I can. Luckily, I'm in no rush. Nice to be able to take my time, look around, and get insight from the folks on this forum. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I second sigken with the equinox or the stainless.

You could also try calling the pro shop to see what they have in stock for different P229s. I picked up a limited run with the legacy slide and a railed FDE frame at a great price. It might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Reactions: bumper

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Thank ya, GCBHM. The Legion is truly my first pick, but...
Another bit of free advice, if I may. I'm not an old man, but it has been my experience that when something is my first pick, and I don't get it...I usually end up getting it sooner or later. The thing about the Legion is that they're not made to be a pretty gun. They're made to be a fighting gun, with style. I understand your plight about racking a door with one, but unless you're planning on taking down a bad guy hide out I think you'd be ok. That said, if you just can't bring yourself to ding a Legion, don't do it. There is a reason I carry a Glock! :lol:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yes, .357 SIG Legion P229s are legit and the Elite grips are good too on a P229R (in .357), since the E2 grips are a little harsh. I know from first hand experience. Could be worth a look in the classifieds. I'm not a fan of .40 S&W though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How about this one? Hard to beat the price and I have one like it and love it!
Link: https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p229-357sig-used-good-vg-condition.html?___SID=U
Great price !!! No rails, legacy slide, German made.
I would change the trigger to the standard fat trigger, and add a SRT Kit and G10 grips. You could also get a 357 barrel and have 2 calibers. Also a Bar-Sto 40 to 9 conversion barrel and have 3 calibers.
I just can't stop tinkering. I guess I never outgrew my Erector Set.

Attachments

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the 40s&w is a great choice! Prices for these P229s as well as ammo are dropping these days to reasonable levels. GB has a large assortment to choose from (CPOs would be my preference for great deals). Occasionally, I'll see a used but great condition Legion go for $1k. As always, get the 9mm conversion barrel to enjoy multiple calibers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My next Sig will be a P229 in .40 S&W followed by the OEM .357 SIG barrel. From what I've read, the P229 is one of the few pistols that was actually designed/engineered to handle the battering of the .40 S&W round on the slide & frame. Most pistols are designed for 9mm and then altered/retrofitted to shoot .40 S&W (like the G19/G23, G17/G22, etc.). That's one of the things I love about my VP40... that slide is a beast (super thick) compared to my VP9 and built to last. Only time will tell how my P320C handles the .40 S&W round... love it so far!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Good afternoon, all.

My wife has a P229 SCT 9mm and we are both quite fond of it. I have been a fan of the 9mm and .45 since I fired my first P-38 and Colt 1911. For a couple of reasons, however, I've been pondering giving the .40/.357 a go. I'm fairly well convinced I want the P229 platform as it has the beef I think a handgun needs to handle the .40/.357 pressures.

At the risk of sounding a bit of a snob, I'd prefer something with a bit more jazz than a base P229, and please forgive me, I just can't stand the E2 grips. Used, CPO, new is not an issue. If it's a good deal, and the firearm is in good shape, then it's, well...all good. :)

With all that said, what might you folks opine as a model I should look for? Elite Dark, Scorpion, a model I'm not familiar with? lol

Thank you all very much, and have a great day!
Aaron
Try to locate a P229, SAS, Gen2, 357 SIG. My favorite gun. Period. Replace E2s with 2 piece Sig polymer grips. Classic look and feel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you keep an eye out on Gunbroker and have some patience there have been a decent amount of NIB 357 and 40 guns from the early 90s at great prices--I was able to get 2 .357 guns within a couple of months, including one that had only been out of the plastic bag in the case to be photographed for sale, which I got for $675 I believe? This gun has the best trigger of any of my SIGs--feels like a DAK pull for the DA.

I personally prefer the older guns with solid machined parts, and you can always add different grips/finishes later. My plans for this one are G10 grips, orange Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights, and a Robar NP3+ "Norton Special" finish on everything except the frame--classy, quality, and functional.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you're planing to go multi caliber .40/.357 I would recommend getting a .357 and add a .40 barrel. The reason is that the trajectory of the .357 is flatter and it's easier to aim lower than higher. I did it the other way around and going to change the front sight from #6 to #8 because I hardly ever shoot the .40 anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts