SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
Can sig replicate the hk 416 (m27) without infringing on design/patent issues?

found these interesting:
– Ability to fire AB39, .264 USA, .260 Remington, M80A1, etc.

– System deliberately built to perform at optimal level while suppressed – must divert gasses away from the shooter’s eye

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
How has Sig become the "complete systems provider"? Sig currently does not produce a modular rifle system like this. There is, however, already a rifle that does meet this request. The FN SCAR system is the rifle the USMC wanted, but it was decided they didn't have the budget to replace the M4 with the SCAR-L rifle system. I guess now that Trump is in office the push for rebuilding the military has sparked new interest.

Reactions: quaraong

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
It seems the scar is falling out of favor in favor of the hk.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
It seems the scar is falling out of favor in favor of the hk.
Then why is the USMC requesting information for a rifle system? The HK is $3000 per while the M4 is $1000 per. If they didn't have the budget for the SCAR, they sure don't have the budget for the HK.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
perhaps opening it back up to the industry they hope the cost might come down and then there's the increase in defense spending. I doubt they assume to field this new generation of systems tomorrow, if we take a cue from the f35 we've got years of development and associated costs before they'd assume trials would actually begin. <---that was sarcasm.

It seems perhaps they've better defined what they feel would be best moving forward and are starting that process. IDK.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I hope we've learned our lesson about the F35...I mean if we haven't then dear Lord! LOL

It seems to me that the USMC, like the Army, wants a new rifle that is able to do more than just be a rifle. The new buzz word is "modular" from aircraft to pistols, so there is no way to get around that; however, I wonder at what point do we come to understand that everything simply can't be modular. They USMC wanted the SCAR-L, but was essentially told no. That's a pretty good system, but it doesn't mean something better can't be developed. The SCAR is a pretty big rifle, although light for its size, but I know the SEALs love it.

I'm certainly not opposed to moving away from the 5.56 for a better round, but the 7.62x51 is hard to beat. It's already available. It's cheap. It's proven to be very effective for multiple uses. We would not have to spend a ton of money developing a new round that would take years to test, prove and hope it works as effectively as the 7.62. Surely we're smart enough to develop a modular system around this caliber?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How has Sig become the "complete systems provider"? Sig currently does not produce a modular rifle system like this. There is, however, already a rifle that does meet this request. The FN SCAR system is the rifle the USMC wanted, but it was decided they didn't have the budget to replace the M4 with the SCAR-L rifle system. I guess now that Trump is in office the push for rebuilding the military has sparked new interest.
This is how.... As far as what they have or don't have, they could make it to spec if they wanted.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
This is how.... As far as what they have or don't have, they could make it to spec if they wanted.

Every top tier manufacturer can do that. This doesn't make Sig the complete systems provider anymore than Glock makes the perfect pistol. It's just marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every top tier manufacturer can do that. This doesn't make Sig the complete systems provider anymore than Glock makes the perfect pistol. It's just marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're arguing semantics. They provide everything requested in the article. Wether it is exactly to spec or not can be adjusted. And its not just marketing, because those are actual products that they provide. Thats not a point to be argued. "Perfection" is not a product that can be sold, therefore its just marketing. Not the same thing.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
You're arguing semantics. They provide everything requested in the article. Wether it is exactly to spec or not can be adjusted. And its not just marketing, because those are actual products that they provide. Thats not a point to be argued. "Perfection" is not a product that can be sold, therefore its just marketing. Not the same thing.
No, actually, they don't! That was the point of my question, and you're the one arguing semantics. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They sell the firearms, the optics, the suppressed, the ammo, etc. Wether or not you consider that a system or another company also do that, does not change a thing.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
They sell the firearms, the optics, the suppressed, the ammo, etc. Wether or not you consider that a system or another company also do that, does not change a thing.
I understand that Sig produces all these things, which does make them "a" systems provider, but to date, Sig Sauer does not produce a firearm that meets THIS RFI. The ONLY manufacturer that does produce something close to it is FN, but not even the SCAR meets every aspect of this particular RFI. ALL that aside, Sig Sauer is not THE complete systems provider. FN produces complete systems. HK produces complete systems. Springfield Armory produces complete systems. Colt, for crying out loud, produces complete systems, so while you may think Sig is THE complete systems provider, that does not change a thing as it relates to the fact that they aren't the ONLY complete systems provider. Besides that, it's really not that deep, so stop acting like your mother has been insulted, uh!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand that Sig produces all these things, which does make them "a" systems provider, but to date, Sig Sauer does not produce a firearm that meets THIS RFI. The ONLY manufacturer that does produce something close to it is FN, but not even the SCAR meets every aspect of this particular RFI. ALL that aside, Sig Sauer is not THE complete systems provider. FN produces complete systems. HK produces complete systems. Springfield Armory produces complete systems. Colt, for crying out loud, produces complete systems, so while you may think Sig is THE complete systems provider, that does not change a thing as it relates to the fact that they aren't the ONLY complete systems provider. Besides that, it's really not that deep, so stop acting like your mother has been insulted, uh!
Whatever you say man. You just like to argue. All I can say is if this does turn into a bid, I hope Sig enters and wins the contract.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Whatever you say man. You just like to argue. All I can say is if this does turn into a bid, I hope Sig enters and wins the contract.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one who was "arguing" with me? I get what you're saying in that Sig produces (or makes) all those things, and the odds are that no other manufacturer actually produces ammo, optics, suppressors, firearms, etc., I get that, so as it goes, sure, Sig is THE complete systems provider...but, where I was with it is that as it relates to this RFI, and this rifle, Sig doesn't make a system like this. Can they? Maybe, but so can HK, FN, SA, S&W, etc. And keep in mind that you don't have to make a product to be able to provide it. Now, if Sig submits a rifle, and is able to provide all the rest of the products requested, and wins, then good for them! The odds are slim, but I certainly have no issue with Sig winning the bid, as it were. But you know what, bruh...it still isn't that deep. Why you would get that bent out of shape over something so frivolous is just ridiculous. Take it easy, uh?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can sig replicate the hk 416 (m27) without infringing on design/patent issues?

found these interesting:
— Ability to fire AB39, .264 USA, .260 Remington, M80A1, etc.

— System deliberately built to perform at optimal level while suppressed — must divert gasses away from the shooter’s eye
Yes. You may find this article interesting as well. Suppression is the future perhaps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.