SIG Talk banner

Thinking of getting a 45 cal

10410 116
So I have 2 sig. my first was a Legion P229, originally in a 40 and then added a 357 Sig barrel, and more recently a P320 in a 357 Sig.
My friend had a 45 and has been trying to get me on that cal bandwagon. Ok maybe I’m using him as my excuse to buy another gun lol.
Any thoughts on the 45 cal and if so any likes and dislikes on certain makes and models?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So I have 2 sig. my first was a Legion P229, originally in a 40 and then added a 357 Sig barrel, and more recently a P320 in a 357 Sig.
My friend had a 45 and has been trying to get me on that cal bandwagon. Ok maybe I’m using him as my excuse to buy another gun lol.
Any thoughts on the 45 cal and if so any likes and dislikes on certain makes and models?

Thanks in advance.
.45 ACP has always been a favorite. I currently have a full size P220 and a Springfield Micro Compact. Both are great to shoot and ammo is relatively cheap if you shop around. An added benefit is the view from the muzzle end is somewhat intimidating.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sig makes a nice line of 1911 models in .45 ACP. I have one of the early Special Operations models called the "Blackwater," which is a treat to shoot. I'd stick with the 5-inch barrel model for range work and open carry; otherwise, they also make some shorter barrel models for cc. Lots of brands and models to choose from. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I find it hard to pick a favorite between the 9MM and the 45 ACP. Both are great calibers.

If you are looking for a first 45 ACP I'd recommend a 1911. There are many great manufacturers and models. Really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Ruger makes very high quality 1911 models at a reasonable price, not cheap, but reasonable. Same with Springfield.

SIGs and Kimbers are also high quality, a little pricier.

And then there are the Wilson, Baer and Brown, which will cost several times what a Ruger will cost. They won't shoot several times better, but if it hits your hot buttons, they are worth it.

IMHO, a 45 ACP 1911 is the easiest handgun to shoot well that you can buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends on the type of platform you like. After a lot of experimentation, I settled on DA/SA with decocker. That meant my 1911 had to go, and it got traded off on my first Sig, a P220R. Couldn't be happier with that pistol, it's become one of my all time favorite handguns, and there have been more than a few over the years. I'm also a huge fan of the .45 ACP in general, I only have 3 centerfire pistols at the moment, 2 are .45 ACP. Lots of choices, from revolvers to striker fired guns, so it's really pick your poison in this particular cartridge. All that said, I do prefer bigger guns, my Sig is the small one in my arsenal. Later.

Dave

·
Registered
Variety is what I really enjoy. Sigs being first!
4,696 Posts
You don’t need a reason to buy a 45ACP. It is just the all AMERICAN caliber. Seriously, hits hard, shoots smooth, moderate recoil. (To me more of a push). I’m not talking down other cartridges, just supporting .45. I have S&W, Kimber, Springfield, and Sig. Love them all. My Sigs are P220s. An all stainless SSE (a pussycat to shoot) and a two tone Carry. My preference, P220 then Kimber Pro Carry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks in advance.
.45 ACP has always been a favorite. I currently have a full size P220 and a Springfield Micro Compact. Both are great to shoot and ammo is relatively cheap if you shop around. An added benefit is the view from the muzzle end is somewhat intimidating.
The friend mentioned above had an H&K USP and loved it. Then one day it was stolen after his car was broken into. Never understood why anyone would leave leave their piece in the car, in Houston, but it is what it is. Since then he carries a Kimber Ultra Carry I believe, which he loves just as much. Says its an awesome size for CC.
Then I recently put my hands on my wife’s uncles’ German made P220. Now that’s a nice pistol! Heavy but very nice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments gents.
I will say that this forum is awesome and appreciate all of the shared thoughts.

Any thoughts on the S&W M&P 2.0 45?
Sig P220. End of thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Somewhat akin to an old school, low revving, big block engine. Their are certainly many modern high-performance, lower displacement alternatives that can perform equally or better. But, there’s some intangible, unmatched degree of fun with those big, slow, torquey pistons.

"There's no replacement for displacement"!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Any P220 or P227!!! You will not regret it. :D

·
Registered
Variety is what I really enjoy. Sigs being first!
4,696 Posts
LegionP229 Any thoughts on the S&W M&P 2.0 45?[/QUOTE said:
I think the M&P 2.0 in 45 ACP is an amazingly easy pistol to shoot. I was not expecting how easy it was to handle for a polymer framed 45. However, in my opinion, it does not compare to the handling and accuracy of the P220 or quality 1911 platforms. To me, all metal, specifically all steel 45s seem to handle the best. For carry, I like the 1911 Pro (4”), or P220 Carry. (3.9”).

1 - 20 of 117 Posts