SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on Winchester WinClean 244 pistol powder would be appreciated. Mainly going to start off with 9MM and will venture to 40 sw and 45 acp.Any suggestions or warnings welcome. Thanks in advance for your time and help

馃帠USN Retired

Registered
I've not used 244 either, but am sure the specs above will work well for you. Start at the min and work your way up, if needed. Don't load more than 10-20 before testing them.

Do you have a reloading press, or starting from scratch?

馃帠USA Veteran Premium Member
I don't have any experience with 244, but before you go too far in your adventure, I'm curious if you have looked into primers? The prices on them and their scarcity have made reloading much more expensive. I don't want to discourage you, re-loading is great for developing accurate rounds besides being money saving. I'd look to make sure you are comfortable with paying the high primer costs early in your start up. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am thank you. I鈥檓 one for not paying these high prices for ammo and realize all the ammo is being bought by new gun owners that don鈥檛 know any difference. So I guess you can say that鈥檚 my thought process. Since it鈥檚 the only prices I know about on primers it鈥檚 just beginning for me. Because I think at some point they may be higher. And since I鈥檓 retiring I have to find some hobby to do. And now I have more time to shoot what I reload. I appreciate everyone鈥檚 help with the info.

Premium Member
Consider taking the NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading class before buying anything or getting started.

Registered
Don't go into it expecting to save a lot of money. If you are like me, your savings will be eaten up by increased shooting and trying out gadgets, equipment, and new components.

Registered
Don't go into it expecting to save a lot of money. If you are like me, your savings will be eaten up by increased shooting and trying out gadgets, equipment, and new components.
While that is true, I think most see it as a good thing. I'm not sure if I shoot so much because I like reloading so much, or the other way around. But it's all good!

Good luck on your reloading adventure. Lots of great videos and websites to help you along the path.

I'm assuming you picked 244 because it's less expensive? The place I get powder from shows $30 a lb vs say, $31 a lb for 231, IF they were in stock.

Premium Member
244 is a reformulated version of 231 ... loading info can be found at the Winchester site. 244 is supposed to be cleaner ... I can't tell a big difference in my range load .38s. I've shot a few hundred rounds of 244 and a ton of 231. I have several pounds of both on hand. I started loading .38 and .45 back in the early '80s ... all I used was 231 until I got some of the 244 last year. I buy the 8# jugs directly from the Winchester site.

I use WW-296 for all things magnum ... (.357 & .44)

Reactions: jkallner

Only thing I know about 231 is it tends to be accurate in 45 acp that I shot one time
I hear you, but anyone who has been reloading for a long time has probably used it. I use Vihtavuori now as it is the cleanest powder I have ever used, but have used 231 for 45, 38 and 9mm (Like PaulWVa just proved). Have you settled on bullets? I've come to use coated bullets from SNS although I have used swaged lead bullets, FMJs and various HPs. I reload for practice and competition and the coated bullets have been good for price and performance.

Do you have a supply of brass - been collecting range brass? I know this stuff is outside your question on 244, but I'm curious about how far you have gotten.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Be honest just watching a lot of youtube on presses. I am going to start gathering stuff this weekend. Such as press as some brass. At first until I familiarize myself with reloading I am going to use new brass only. In my area Hornady 124 gr FMJ bullets are readily available so I may start there. So when I say when just thinking and now starting to take the steps to get ready, set, go.

I find once fired brass is the best to work with, virgin brass has less flexibility and the brass sheers off small amounts as it gets shaped the first time - not bad, but not as smooth as once fired brass. I also notice that there is a difference in various brands - I like Federal, Winchester and Blazer brass the most in 9mm. I find RP to be good, but a little more stiff than my favorites. S&B are stiff cases as well. I do sort them and reload brands together. I use a Dillon 650 progressive machine and everything runs smoother if the brass is all the same. I use Horady case lube and give the brass a little spray, just to slick them up a little to keep the movments of the machine stages smooth. One of the down sides of a progressive machine is if something goes wrong - crushed case, bad primer seat, bullet doesn't seat, etc, you need to be real careful that you don't miss something while you rectify the problem.

As far as a new brass heads up, I bought a bunch of Everglades 9mm brass and don't particularly like them. The brass holds up well, but the primer pocket is a tad small - making it not comfortable to load with Federal primers and certainly not good for the beefier CCI primers. The seating of the primer is the most delicate part of reloading to me and if the primer pocket is tight, there's a second of anxiety inserting the primer if you need a touch more force than what's normally a smooth operation. Because they are slightly smaller, I used Winchester primers in the Everglades brass, but they are my one way bullets - they don't come back from the range with me.

You are in for a very interesting time figuring out what works for you in the wonderful world of reloading. I really enjoy it, but it's a way different world from the world of shooting. It's very much like the hobby of flying airplanes or helicopters, you almost need to enjoy fixing them as much as flying them because you are going to be doing a lot of both. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. I've been doing it a long time and appreciate to art of making a good reliable and accurate bullet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find once fired brass is the best to work with, virgin brass has less flexibility and the brass sheers off small amounts as it gets shaped the first time - not bad, but not as smooth as once fired brass. I also notice that there is a difference in various brands - I like Federal, Winchester and Blazer brass the most in 9mm. I find RP to be good, but a little more stiff than my favorites. S&B are stiff cases as well. I do sort them and reload brands together. I use a Dillon 650 progressive machine and everything runs smoother if the brass is all the same. I use Horady case lube and give the brass a little spray, just to slick them up a little to keep the movments of the machine stages smooth. One of the down sides of a progressive machine is if something goes wrong - crushed case, bad primer seat, bullet doesn't seat, etc, you need to be real careful that you don't miss something while you rectify the problem.

As far as a new brass heads up, I bought a bunch of Everglades 9mm brass and don't particularly like them. The brass holds up well, but the primer pocket is a tad small - making it not comfortable to load with Federal primers and certainly not good for the beefier CCI primers. The seating of the primer is the most delicate part of reloading to me and if the primer pocket is tight, there's a second of anxiety inserting the primer if you need a touch more force than what's normally a smooth operation. Because they are slightly smaller, I used Winchester primers in the Everglades brass, but they are my one way bullets - they don't come back from the range with me.

You are in for a very interesting time figuring out what works for you in the wonderful world of reloading. I really enjoy it, but it's a way different world from the world of shooting. It's very much like the hobby of flying airplanes or helicopters, you almost need to enjoy fixing them as much as flying them because you are going to be doing a lot of both. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. I've been doing it a long time and appreciate to art of making a good reliable and accurate bullet.
Thank you for all the information I will definitely keep you in mind for questions. I do feel a little intimidated about starting but once I start then I know iI will like it and shoot more and get better at shooting. I do have a brother in law that has reloaded before but years ago when he was at home because his father has been it over 60 years. So I think I have a lot of resources available to me. My brother in law is into hunting and into rifles and I am into pistols and now I have talked him into shooting pistols and he has his first pistol so I see us needing more 9MM ammo. And the good side is he is in the aerospace industry and writes repair manuals as stuff for their FFA repairs so he is extremely smart.

Thank you for all the information I will definitely keep you in mind for questions. I do feel a little intimidated about starting but once I start then I know iI will like it and shoot more and get better at shooting. I do have a brother in law that has reloaded before but years ago when he was at home because his father has been it over 60 years. So I think I have a lot of resources available to me. My brother in law is into hunting and into rifles and I am into pistols and now I have talked him into shooting pistols and he has his first pistol so I see us needing more 9MM ammo. And the good side is he is in the aerospace industry and writes repair manuals as stuff for their FFA repairs so he is extremely smart.
Sounds like you are in good hands. Good luck and feel free to let me know if I can help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about brands Top Brass and Lightning for my brass? Any recommendations or warning on these? Natchez has them in stock

1 - 20 of 36 Posts