SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made it to the range yesterday to try out our new P365XL RomeoZero. The optics certainly force a whole new type of sight acquisition--one that, unless I spend a lot of time at the range getting comfortable with it, it makes me consider taking it off and just using the iron sights instead. Those I don't need to get used to, as this is the only handgun we have with optics. I am not sure the difference is one that makes sense for us. I already rotate with CCW for different situations, and think that throwing optics into the mix isn't a good idea. Anyone else in this boat, or have any comment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not with my P365, but I’ve shot with optics on a pistol before. I prefer iron sights on my EDC.
I bought the P365 because it was small and simple, and easy to carry. I adapted to the gun, instead of adapting the gun to me. Some folks love their red-dot sights, so it’s an individual choice of what works best for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It definitely took me a few range trips to get used to my P365X. I’d say I shot approx 350 rounds over 3 range trips before I became fully confident in the sight.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Optics aren’t for everyone, and there is certainly a learning curve. I have spent enough time with mine that I’m equally comfortable with the red dot or the iron sights, and my carry contingent does include both. Do what makes you comfortable and confident - the P365XL is an outstanding pistol, with or without the optic.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Every time I look at and handle one with optics in a store I just can't like it enough to spend my $$$. I have optics on my AR and like the optics for center mass, but of course, that is a different system. I also worry about quickly getting a pistol out of a holster and not hang up on my shirt. Even with extended mags I sometimes catch my shirt so why put something else big on the pistol?
I have read many articles and the sight times and follow-up shot times vary a lot. Some authors are faster with red dot and some faster with iron sights. So, I guess as the others say pick what you like and train with it.

This is just my opinion. Just how I roll, at least right now. Either all iron sights or all optics. I happen to have all iron sights. Others will have the exact opposite view. TG

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really like the optic on mine. I've found after shooting it and plenty of dry fire presentations, I don't have trouble picking the dot up and it has also helped me be more consistent in picking up my iron sights. The dot doesn't let me cheat and forces me to have a consistent presentation every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should probably go with your instincts on that. I’m in the boat where I’m trying to sort out a red dot for my home defense/big carry gun. I’ve had a red dot on a race gun for awhile and like it. I have shooting glasses made to put the front sight on a rifle into sharp focus, and they work good for my pistols with iron sights. A month or so ago I had a wake up call though. I went to the range with my normal glasses and my collection of CCW guns, and I was horrified by the groups I shot. Between the short sight radius on the small guns and glasses where the sights are always blurry, I realized I shouldn’t take a shot unless my target is at close range. I had never thought about it before. With my normal bifocals the target is sharp thru the distance lens, but the sights are very blurry. Using the readers, the sights are still a little blurry, and the target is extremely blurry. So for me, a red dot sight gives me much improved accuracy no matter what glasses I’m wearing, and even without glasses. But if your vision is still sharp, then iron sights are still a good thing for you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So for me, a red dot sight gives me much improved accuracy no matter what glasses I’m wearing, and even without glasses.
I'm in the same situation. Don't need glasses for distance, but I need readers for anything that's closer than my arm length. On a gun, the front sight is a bit blurry, but rears are just a haze.
I don't like the optics, but they are a necessity, for me, for distances larger than 3-5 yards. At 3 yards I don't need any sights.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Red dots need a lot of training since the beggining and TODAY AMMMO PRICES DOES NOT ALLOW THAT.
If the xl is your defensive edc you have to be very efficent with it and if you don't have too much ammo or time behind the dot go back to irons, nothing wrong with those, I like the irons on the xl more than the 365...
Enjoy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I recently bought a 365Xslide with Romeo Zero mounted from SIG. I've been training every weekend for over a month & I'm just now starting to get my draw from concealment & fire drill times close to my iron site times. 1.88 seconds was my best time last week & averaging under 2.5 doing Wizard drills. Definitely a learning curve that I'm going to keep working on & I'm confident enough that I've started carrying it with the dot on now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
For me, with conceal carry weapon the main issue comes down to the optics that could hang up on something. I almost bought the SAS version because it was less likely to hang up on something, but the sights are more difficult to use. For a micro compact conceal carry weapon, iron sights seem to be the logical choice.

If you are open carrying, optics could make sense if you like them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For me, with conceal carry weapon the main issue comes down to the optics that could hang up on something. I almost bought the SAS version because it was less likely to hang up on something, but the sights are more difficult to use. For a micro compact conceal carry weapon, iron sights seem to be the logical choice.

If you are open carrying, optics could make sense if you like them.
Do you own a defensive handgun with an optic mounted?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought the XL with RZ for my wife and found a good deal on a HS507K, which I picked up for myself on my milled p365. After sighting it in and shooting it at the range, I found that I really loved that Circle Dot! It was much faster for me to get a sight picture than the RZ that came on her XL... I ended up pulling the RZ off and replacing it with the HS507K...

We both get on target faster with that optic...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with the comments that lots of training is the key to safely and effectively handling ANY gun. The comfort level has to be there. Because of that, I think it makes the most sense to stick with iron. I am still operating with a good supply of Federal 2-year old ammo (9mm was $.21/cartridge back then, and .45 was .$32 ea), and should be fine with the occasional trip to the range--especially since we will start reloading shortly. But with the optics, the effective sessions that run 250+ rounds (if I am IWB drawing and holstering to get comfortable) is not a practical scenario right now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a P320XL and another slide without the optic. I would not carry with the optic. Too bulky.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Your post makes me feel better. I know the red dot is supposed to be really good for long shots but people with astigmatism (myself) can have issues. Also I pocket carry only and don’t see that working. When I first bought my first P365 I got a great price on a Viridian laser and installed it. Later I removed it and have practiced solely with the iron sights. I am leaning toward a green Crimson trace because I don’t have to press a button to activate it. I have been feeling almost guilty not trying the red dot, but I think , for me, the laser is the way to go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Do you own a defensive handgun with an optic mounted?
No, and I don't intend to for the reasons I mentioned.

If I open carried, or kept an additional handgun for home defense, I'd want to try out the optics. The extra price wouldn't be an issue if I liked the optics.

But for conceal carry, the large optics present to great a risk of catching on something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts