SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 357 Sig barrel today with my birthday money. I think I got a pretty fair deal @ $119 shipped. Genuine Sig, BNIB.
Now I'm thinking about some Hogue G10 grips. I found a fair deal on a set of G-Mascus Camo green chainlink.
I was wondering if any of you have the chainlink grips on your carry gun and if so, is it irritating to carry IWB?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I got the black checkered G10s on my P229SAS and P227SAS;
The ones on the P227 SAS are the ones with the magwell which was removed by the previous owner to enhance concealment.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
The Chain Link are like raised projections. not necessarily "sharp" but raised. They are generally considered the most "aggressive" of the textures Hogue uses. I would consider the Piranha the best texture for concealment.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The G10s are the best looking and I wanted them to work but fact is the standard plastic boring stock grips fit my hand better and how it shoots trumps how it looks sitting on the bench (IMO)

That goes for all my P228-9 types but the G10s for the P227SAS are a much better fit than the E2 which do not fit my hand well

How it shoots (fits) is the most important factor

·
Registered
11,342 Posts
I had a set of "chainlink" G10s on a P229. I didn't carry it much and I always have a t-shirt on anyways so I can't really comment on that. I will say that I found the chainlink pattern to be a bit "lumpy" (particularly the backstrap) when shooting and for that reason have gone with the "piranha" pattern on all my SIGs since.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ordered a 357 Sig barrel today with my birthday money. I think I got a pretty fair deal @ $119 shipped. Genuine Sig, BNIB.
Now I'm thinking about some Hogue G10 grips. I found a fair deal on a set of G-Mascus Camo green chainlink.
I was wondering if any of you have the chainlink grips on your carry gun and if so, is it irritating to carry IWB?
Thanks.
Sorry for the hijack, but where did you find the 229 357 Sig barrel? That was a good price and I’m looking for one myself.

·
Registered
35,435 Posts
I have chain link on my 239.
When I set it down, I still feel it for several minutes.
Took awhile to get used to it, but eventually I got to like it.

I also think Piranha are the best choice.

Nice thing about G10s is you can sand them down to suit, then oil brings the finish back.
Hogue will instruct how.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the checkered G10s on my current 229s and I like them.

However, I am looking for some piranhas to try next.

WJR

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
These are the the favorite handguns in my collection and they all wear the hogue chainlink: (top) P226 X5-L1, P220 Match Stainless Elite, (bottom) P229 Sport, and P230 SL. I think the piranhas look the best, but I feel the chainlink gives you the absolute best grip and I shoot the best with them. They ARE aggressive, and when you shoot a mag, you'll see divots in the palm of your hand afterwards haha. But these are all range toys, I don't think I would go with chainlink for carry. I've read that the grips can ruin shirts by rubbing away at them. Even piranhas may be too aggressive. You can lightly sand them down to make them less aggressive, but I personally think checkered is well enough grip for carry. Just my opinion. But if you want the best grip all the time, nothing wrong with the chainlink, haha.

Also, here's my P226 with the green you were prob looking at (but in smooth). I actually went back to piranhas on that P226 tacops.

-Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have checkered G10s on my P220 and P227 SAS, and Piranha G10s on my P245. Of the three, I prefer the checkered grips over the Piranha, but any of them are better than the factory grips.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have chain link grips on both of my P229's, I carry appendix and they never bother me. I love those grips, they really dig into your hands and do not slip. I have also carried another gun with Talon sandpaper grips, appendix and they did not bother me either. To each his own.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have Hogue Piranhas for my P239 and P6. I like them. Texture wise, I don't think they leave anything to be desired: it's aggressive enough to keep the gun in your hand, yet I don't really feel it digging/rubbing when I carry.

I just wish Hogue had a little more of contour... maybe even a palm swell... on their G10 grips; they're kinda just flat and boxy. Don't get me wrong--they work. But I ended up ditching the G10s for Nills on my P239. They're honestly waay too expensive... but holding Nills is ergonomic ecstasy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New sig p239 and p229 owner here. I see a lot of talk about the G10 grips.. are they worth the hype?

Is there any grips other than Hogue that you'd recommend?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
New sig p239 and p229 owner here. I see a lot of talk about the G10 grips.. are they worth the hype?

Is there any grips other than Hogue that you'd recommend?
Does anyone know if the G10 grip fits with the 15 rd .40 magazines?
Most of us appreciate the G-10s for their better grip surface, and rigidity, compared to the polymer OEM grips. You can get them smooth, or in 3 different textures from Hogue, for most any Sig model.

Sig also sources some of their G-10 options from Spaulding Composites, who only supplies manufacturers, and doesn't sell commercially. Another manufacturer, Cool Hand Grips has P226, and 1911 versions, selling on Amazon, and eBay.

As far as the G-10 grips for a P229, being able to accommodate 15 Round .40 Magazines, I'm "assuming" you are talking 15 round P226 .357/.40 magazines which isn't a problem.

DSCN2076.JPG

If you are talking the 14 round P229 .357/.40 magazine, it shouldn't be a problem either, as the grips extend no lower than the OEM polymer grips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts