SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,849 Posts
I just recently did my first 80% AR-15 using the 5D Tactical Jig and a Dewalt router. It didn't turn out so well. My second one turned out substantially better. I'm going to start #3 here pretty soon. I expect it to be much better now that I've learned a trick or two.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I had a crash condition between the pivot lug on the upper and the front of the magazine well:

So I had to make a R 0.300" scallop 0.020 deep to make it clear:

I did this by grinding the radius on a 3/8" square HSS lathe cutter blank and using it to scrape material out and then using this jig with sandpaper to polish it smooth:

All is well now:

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Far from being any kind of "Machinist", but I would think a router would have too high rpm for milling cutters. I know aluminum is softer than steel, but wouldn't you also need "lubricant / coolant"?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Far from being any kind of "Machinist", but I would think a router would have too high rpm for milling cutters. I know aluminum is softer than steel, but wouldn't you also need "lubricant / coolant"?
I believe that you use regular router bits, although I'd suggest carbide. Because of the high rpm you're only taking little bites (chip load per tooth) as long as you're not feeding too hard. I've cut 6061 bar stock on my table saw using a carbide crosscut blade.

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
I highly recommend the method used by 80% arms as Czechvar pointed out above. I have done 3 lowers using their jig and each one was super simple. I have made two 5.56 and a 308. It takes me about 2 hours to have the lower done. No mistakes and really nice fit and finish. I use a Ryobi trim router but any good brand trim router will do. No drill press required. You use an end mil bit in the router. You can buy the end mil and the drill bits from 80% arms if you want to be sure to get the right sizes. So far I have purchased my lowers from 80% arms as well. They are a bit more expensive but very nice. The 5.56 jig is universal though so you can buy the their jig and use 5.56 lowers from other suppliers if you want. For 308 I would suggest using their jig and their lower. There is a lot more variance in 308 lowers versus 5.56.

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
Check out the you tube video linked below for the 80 percent arms combined AR15 and 308 universal jig. It's pretty slick. Unfortunately I bought my jigs separately a few years back but for anyone that hasn't done an 80% yet and thinks they will do both an AR15 as well as a 308, this jig does both and works on almost any branded lower.

https://youtu.be/ZVPMXwywH9E

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.