SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
I 4473 transferred a black P-320 X-Five to a customer recently and he removed the slide while we were waiting for the ATF approval only to find they only partially coated the inside of the slide. Needless to say, he was very disappointed in the lack of quality control in NH. He left not to happy.
Me? I'm sticking with the German Sig pistols.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lol, I am so envious. I wish my lifestyle allowed me to care where somebody else's gun was made, and what it said on the slide.

And yes my "cheap clone" is on its way also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I suspect the P320"X-5" pistols will work just fine,i.e., they will go bang. But since the German pistols cannot be imported through SIG anymore, you gotta admit that it's pretty sharp on SIGs part to add "features" to another plastic pistol and Voila': the new improved X-5. Same marketing genius as calling the new pistol, that may or may not ever be produced in the USA, a P210. Just give it a little while, it'll be just like some of the other SIG models. Owners of the new 320"X-5", and US "P210" if ever brought to market, will be telling those us that owned the real X-5s, P210s,etc that the new US made guns are every bit the fine pistols that their German and Swiss predecessors were. A lot cheaper, and even gooderer and betterrer than the earlier guns due to the great precision of American manufacturing techniques;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do you think if we own a "cheap clone" it automatically makes us deplorable? Where is that basket anyway?

I like the performance version, I would have ordered one with almost any name, funny to see the label snobs squirm.

I remember when the M11A1 came out with the 228 grips and the 228 guys were all complaining this same way.

Reactions: Twister

·
Banned
170 Posts
I'm openly admitting I'm an X5 snob.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the P320-X5 is a great pistol (and I'd probably buy one), but no way is it in the same league as a Mastershop X5.

Now pardon me while I put an M badge on my 335i
Not even close to the quality coming out of Germany. Funny thing is my German contacts want me to export the P320-X5 to them since they are not building them there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I out shoot the X5 guys at my club every month w/ my P226 Elite SAO. Only upgrades are a Grays guide rod & G10 grips. Pisses them off everytime. I can't wait to do the same w/ my cheap X5 clone this weekend.
I'm sure you can. A glock can outshoot an X5. It's the shooter that hits the bulls eye, not the gun.

We are strictly talking about quality and craftmanship. The Mastershop X line is on another level. I'm not bashing the P320-X5. I'm just saying it's not at the X5 level.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I suspect the new X-Five P320 will outsell the last by a margin for 20-1 and will be used in competition much more often than the German guns every were or would have been. From all reports that I've read from people that actually but ALOT of rounds downrange in the German X-Five guns they didn't hold up well and were not very popular. I think they are amazing firearms but it doesn't seem to translate to the competition circuit.

Just a few experiences below...

PPGMD
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted April 13, 2017 09:46 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
It may be a mistake on SIGs part to slap the X-5 name on this pistol when that name brings to mind the super-accurate P226 derived pistol.

I remember the release of the X5s, they were meant to be competition pistols, and not just for bullseye. They ended up being **** poor competition pistols for most speed sports, and few bullseye guys converted to X5s for obvious reasons (better to stick with the devil you know).

Thus the only thing most people associate the X5 with is being a super accurate plinker. But that is consumer impression rather than actual reason that the label was invented. That is why the Allround was made, and in Germany you could get a IPSC Open pistol that were all labeled as X guns.

The P320X5 is the first X5 that was actually well designed to be a competition pistol. SIG took most of the suggestions that came from GGI and incorporated them into that pistol (yes I know Phil claims it was his own design but that grip model has virtually identical features as the one Roy designed).

I've handled one, it is a pretty nice pistol, I like the grip module. It isn't on my gun purchase list because I am done with production for a while, but I probably wouldn't sell it if I won one off the prize table.

But hey what do I know. I've been enjoying shooting my rifle and shotgun more than pistols lately.

And another..

Dan
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted April 14, 2017 07:20 PM Hide Post
I'll echo PPGMD. The German Mastershop X5s weren't well suited to any particular competition. Further, they were accurate, but frankly the accuracy Team SIG got out of our P320s makes for any difference between the two pretty moot. Really, the accuracy out of some of these guns is stunning.

Finally, and this is a point the faithful won't like, the Mastershop guns didn't last. That's right, they were unreliable. At less than 20,000, sometimes less than 10,000, they often stopped feeding. Happened to me, happened to Bruce twice, happened to plenty who used these guns in competition. We aren't talking spring changes, either, but rebuilds. I wouldn't take another if it were given to me.

Some additional weight would be nice for certain games (NRA Action Pistol) and SIG has responded. A powdered tungsten grip weight and lightened slide to cut down on reciprocating mass. If it's a piece of **** I'll say it out loud, but for now it may be the best competition platform we've seen from SIG.

That said I would love to see them back again as someone who does enjoy a nicely build steel frame pistol. Now please...continue with the rose-tinted talk of the German X-Five's.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.