SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bring this up, since going through past threads it looks like there's some controversy about this, but my recently acquired P226R CPO, with a box date of Jan. 2017, has a serial number that starts with UU615. (I am the first owner as a CPO, and registered on the website.)

I'm pretty sure it's not two-tone from 1999-2000 lol, and I doubt it would be one of the prototypes from the 80's. Some other people it looks like have some with earlier numbers from like 2003-2004, which following the timeline would make mine like a 2005, which seems old for something like this.

Was this controversy ever solved? Or is it like the Bermuda Triangle of Sig.

馃帠USA Veteran
is it a german or us made frame??

not much of a controversy, a cpo is a parts gun with a 1 year warranty to original buyer.

post a pic or 2.

Reactions: winterwar

Registered
I thought the second "U" in the serial number was an indication of a P226 with an Exeter made frame. No controversy about that is there? What is the controversy you are talking about?

I believe the "U" indicator (U.S.A. ?) has also been used with P229 serial number prefixes in the format AxU xxxxx.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the second "U" in the serial number was an indication of a P226 with an Exeter made frame. No controversy about that is there? What is the controversy you are talking about?

I believe the "U" indicator (U.S.A. ?) has also been used with P229 serial number prefixes in the format AxU xxxxx.
Ok here are at least two of the threads that I referenced from the past trying to find out about this. It's not clear that it means US manufacture or CPO.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/49678-serial-numbers-2.html

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/28428-mystery-sig.html

Here is an overall picture, but what pieces would you need to see up close?

It has very few markings. The big "Sig Sauer P226" on the slide, the serial number on the other side of the slide, ".40 S&W" on the chamber, and there is another number inside the frame underneath the barrel area. That's all the markings I could find. It does not say Exeter or Germany.

Attachments

Registered
The second U in any SIG serial indicates a US made frame (except the early P226 trial guns with only 5 numbers).

Examples:

P226: UU
P229: AJU, AHU, etc鈥
P239: SBU

Registered
Because you say your gun is a CPO, there is no Exeter on the slide probably because it is a replacement slide. The number inside the frame could have been some internal department marking if your CPO was an LE or military turn in. Of course, all of this is speculation on my part, but based on my previous observations, discussions, and readings for SIG fact-finding.

The P226s with the "UU" prefix are just another series of P226s just like the "U" prefixes and the "47A" prefixed P226s.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because you say your gun is a CPO, there is no Exeter on the slide probably because it is a replacement slide. The number inside the frame could have been some internal department marking if your CPO was an LE or military turn in. Of course, all of this is speculation on my part, but based on my previous observations, discussions, and readings for SIG fact-finding.

The P226s with the "UU" prefix are just another series of P226s just like the "U" prefixes and the "47A" prefixed P226s.
Thank you, yes maybe I should take a picture of that marking inside. The people at the gun shop said that there were internal markings to identify the gun if it's stolen and they try to scratch the serial number, so I assumed it was that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.