SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 352 Posts

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
So here's a video from this weekend. This time I went 15/20 and also corrected target data but I still made some big errors that I listed in the video discription. I also shot a few groups with 3 different loads and I admittedly kinda suck! I have made improvements but I lack patience and it shows. I'll label the targets and post pics by this weekend. Take care.
Target is a 10" steel plate at about 20° slope angle 250yds away. Previously I had it listed at 280yds/ 29° slope angle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So here's a video from this weekend. This time I went 15/20 and also corrected target data but I still made some big errors that I listed in the video discription. I also shot a few groups with 3 different loads and I admittedly kinda suck! I have made improvements but I lack patience and it shows. I'll label the targets and post pics by this weekend. Take care.
SIG 716I TREAD 7.62X51 Kneeling Supported
Target is a 10" steel plate at about 20° slope angle 250yds away. Previously I had it listed at 280yds/ 29° slope angle.
Man I'd say ya did really well. That position isn't the easiest position either. And all the shots seemed sub MOM.. (minute of man lol). So it will do nicely. Good job. Makes me wanna dust mine off. I need to see how far I can squeeze out my targets on my range. May have to sit in neighbors yard and shoot into mine to get enough distance lol. But!.. while my 7.62 SIG pig has been layed up. It gave birth to some SIG-lets! So that's good. Little SIG family is starting to take shape. I'd say it will be complete when I get a SiG in 556 maybe also. But the newest member is a Rattler in 300 atm. It's a beast.. just like it's momma

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Man I'd say ya did really well. That position isn't the easiest position either. And all the shots seemed sub MOM.. (minute of man lol). So it will do nicely. Good job. Makes me wanna dust mine off. I need to see how far I can squeeze out my targets on my range. May have to sit in neighbors yard and shoot into mine to get enough distance lol. But!.. while my 7.62 SIG pig has been layed up. It gave birth to some SIG-lets! So that's good. Little SIG family is starting to take shape. I'd say it will be complete when I get a SiG in 556 maybe also. But the newest member is a Rattler in 300 atm. It's a beast.. just like it's momma

@DAS Hugh!

You caught the Signess brother! It's a beautiful thing. I had it bad once and I appear to also have caught another case as well. I want the new M400 Switchblade to add to my 716I and 556R. A divorce cured me of my last Signess separating me from a 556 SWAT FDE, P226T, P229SSE and a P238N along with other manufacturers. Never again! I never would of guessed the simple 716I would win me over like it has but it's a freaking stallion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ikr. Saw a 716 piston model go up for sale locally in a forum for 1700. Not a bad price. I started to move some funds around and snag it too. But I was like ya know what. This one I have does the same job and is lighter. And didn't bother with it. So I'm pretty happy too I'd say. I know in time I'll kick myself and say I should have gotten both tho lol. But ya gotta start drawing lines some where lol

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Ikr. Saw a 716 piston model go up for sale locally in a forum for 1700. Not a bad price. I started to move some funds around and snag it too. But I was like ya know what. This one I have does the same job and is lighter. And didn't bother with it. So I'm pretty happy too I'd say. I know in time I'll kick myself and say I should have gotten both tho lol. But ya gotta start drawing lines some where lol

No need for kicking, the 716I is not only lighter but more accurate. You got the right one (y)

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
What's the trigger like fellas?
Will the trigger tech, Timney, Geissele, etc work with this Sig?
Is anything other proprietary?
Thanks.
Btw, does it have that SPROING sound like other 556/223 AR's have?
I'm betting someone has already put a JP Silent Captured Spring in there too?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Haven't gotten to souping mine up any yet. Got side tracked with buying other SIGs. An mpx and Rattler 300. So money has been flying out the wazoo for a while lol. But.. I think the gen 2 takes standard AR trigger components if I'm not mistaken. It's one of the first things I plan to replace on mine. But I will say that after doing a paracord trigger break in for a while mine has lightened up a whole lot by doing that alone and isn't too shabby as it is. When I get home this evening I'll drag it out and describe it better

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Haven't gotten to souping mine up any yet. Got side tracked with buying other SIGs. An mpx and Rattler 300. So money has been flying out the wazoo for a while lol. But.. I think the gen 2 takes standard AR trigger components if I'm not mistaken. It's one of the first things I plan to replace on mine. But I will say that after doing a paracord trigger break in for a while mine has lightened up a whole lot by doing that alone and isn't too shabby as it is. When I get home this evening I'll drag it out and describe it better

I'm talkin about the Direct Impingement one.
The one this thread is about, unless I'm mistaken.
If so, I apologize. Are you by chance referring to the 716 piston ar10?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm talkin about the Direct Impingement one.
The one this thread is about, unless I'm mistaken.
If so, I apologize. Are you by chance referring to the 716 piston ar10?
Yeah. To be clear I own the SIG 716I GEN 2 DI. And yes it's not the foldable gas model. It's the DI model as u said that I own. And from what I understand the lower is basically an AR 15 inside as far as the trigger group.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Yeah. To be clear I own the SIG 716I GEN 2 DI. And yes it's not the foldable gas model. It's the DI model as u said that I own. And from what I understand the lower is basically an AR 15 inside as far as the trigger group.

Oh, thank you sir, I appreciate that. I had no idea that there was already a gen ii to the tread 308
Is there anything proprietary that may be worrisome if it broke or needed replacement?
I sure appreciate your help man.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@DAS Hugh!

You caught the Signess brother! It's a beautiful thing. I had it bad once and I appear to also have caught another case as well. I want the new M400 Switchblade to add to my 716I and 556R. A divorce cured me of my last Signess separating me from a 556 SWAT FDE, P226T, P229SSE and a P238N along with other manufacturers. Never again! I never would of guessed the simple 716I would win me over like it has but it's a freaking stallion.
Couldn't find a way to alert him here. So I quoted his last reply to maybe get his attention. This guy seems to be the most knowledgeable guy here on them I've met so far

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was just talking about parts at ARFCOM for the 716I. Everything but the Fire Control Group (FCG), Receiver Extension Tube (RET), Buffer and Buffer Spring and Buttstock are proprietary.

This includes the Upper and Handguard to include barrel except the muzzle device. The complete Bolt Carrier Group which is 3 hole like the LMT to better release gases if suppressed and the Bolt face which has 2 extractors but still all proprietary. Not sure about its Rifle Length Gas system or Low Profile Micro Gas Block but it is pinned in very stoutly. Pretty sure it's also proprietary.

The lower although proprietary takes AR Fire Controls, grips and LR/SR mags. The BHO and Mag releases are SIG but the selector can be modded.

I spoke with SIG a few months ago and they plan on releasing parts. When? Who knows.... For the price of the quality competition just buy 2 716I's.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
How proprietary are these guns in your opinion?
Seems to be even fewer open source parts than the original 716. The 716i appears to be the in-between size, possibly some of the DPMS G2 parts would swap, the i's are not sitting on the LGS shelf at all, people waiting for them to come in. Some day I would love to get both rifles in front of me.

Reactions: GLD1980

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm getting close to a year of ownership of my 716i and have somewhere around 600 rounds through it. I love this rifle. I've made a few changes to make it work better for me. I use an A2 stock, LaRue MBT and swapped the small charge handle latch fo a large one. Right now, I'm running it with a Forge 1-8x with the German 4i reticle and love that configuration.

41 - 60 of 352 Posts