SIG Talk banner
201 - 220 of 352 Posts

·
🎖USA Veteran
6,698 Posts
I have put a 516 upper on a regular ar lower, and vica versa. I am not sure about the AR10's. You do hear of differences.
Now, I would think Sig would make both of their 716 lowers the same, as the tooling and design are proven.
So, I would think the uppers of the gas piston and DI 716 are swappable.
They would be interchangeable with the exception of the buffer and buffer spring.

·
🎖USN Retired
7,709 Posts
They would be interchangeable with the exception of the buffer and buffer spring.
Hmm, Not sure. I have swapped piston ARs with D1's. Most pistons run an H2 buffer.
But then again, AR10s are different in many ways. I dont think Sig would change anything if they dont have to.
So a buffer and buffer tube on an 716 piston and 716 DI should be the same, as their is not real difference in weight on the BCG etc.

·
🎖USA Veteran
6,698 Posts
Hmm, Not sure. I have swapped piston ARs with D1's. Most pistons run an H2 buffer.
But then again, AR10s are different in many ways. I dont think Sig would change anything if they dont have to.
So a buffer and buffer tube on an 716 piston and 716 DI should be the same, as their is not real difference in weight on the BCG etc.
I believe the piston is slightly heavier than a DI BCG.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Maybe but manufacturers use two different carbine tubes and weights for AR-10's, same flat wire spring works for rifles and carbine systems, Armalite's spring runs both systems. I found it curious that the gas port size in a 12.5 inch 716 piston rifle runs a DI build just fine, same barrel runs both systems. I'll get my bcg and buffer weighed and posted, seems like it was a 3.5 ounce buffer but not sure, Sig swapped a few parts trying to get it to run right, I run a 5.4 ounce buffer in my DI build.

Reactions: GLD1980

·
🎖USN Retired
7,709 Posts
Maybe but manufacturers use two different carbine tubes and weights for AR-10's, same flat wire spring works for rifles and carbine systems, Armalite's spring runs both systems. I found it curious that the gas port size in a 12.5 inch 716 piston rifle runs a DI build just fine, same barrel runs both systems. I'll get my bcg and buffer weighed and posted, seems like it was a 3.5 ounce buffer but not sure, Sig swapped a few parts trying to get it to run right, I run a 5.4 ounce buffer in my DI build.
I know the piston 716 runs an H2 buffer.. I am very limited on the 716, except when I held one in Sigs shop up in NH one year, 2015.. Heavy little rifle.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I know the piston 716 runs an H2 buffer..
My P716 runs a 308AR shorty buffer at 3.8 ounces, too light, the carrier weighs 12.6 ounces, nothing unusual. Could be they ran the shorter buffer in the pistol version of their piston guns? Regular H2 buffer would be too long for my "pistol"

Reactions: Steve40th

·
🎖USN Retired
7,709 Posts
I thought all buffers were same length, just different weights, other than the A2 buffer from the M16.
Here is a good read on buffers in AR10s.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd love to see some photos of the 716 pistol.. Inside and out. If possible please. I been considering a few shorter 308 options and this may be on the list if I can find one. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
P938, P365XL
24 Posts
Ended up going with the Windham R16SFST-308. There's a lot to like about the 716i; it had a couple of advantages over the Windham. Both are solid, accurate rifles from good companies which support their products. In the end, the lower weight of the Windham (7.65# vs 8.5# for the 716i) was the main deciding factor for me. I do intend to hunt with the gun and there will be times I'll be carrying it for a ways and a while. Only add-on I'm doing out of the gate is a Precision Armaments m4-72 Severe duty muzzle brake. It has very good reviews and at 2.6 oz., doesn't weigh more than the standard A2 bird cage at 1.92 oz. Happy shooting to all!

·
🎖USA Veteran
16 Posts
With a few hundred rounds through my 716i I thought a good cleaning was due. To my surprise, there is a screw protruding into the chamber channel where the bolt locking lugs turn. It was tough to take a picture so this is the best I could do. The bolt does turn and lock, so apparently the screw is short enough to clear the fingers. I've just never seen anything like this. Is yours this way??
Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Gas Hood

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I thought all buffers were same length, just different weights, other than the A2 buffer from the M16.
Here is a good read on buffers in AR10s.
In general but they still leave some confusion and bad info on the AR-10 end of the scale, better than 90% out there and good for 80% Lol.

Reactions: Steve40th

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'd love to see some photos of the 716 pistol.. Inside and out. If possible please. I been considering a few shorter 308 options and this may be on the list if I can find one. Thanks again

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Auto part
Musical instrument Writing implement Office supplies Wood Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Machine gun Machine tool

Some of the P716 I had, most are like the last, showing a malfunction that Sig has never fixed. I'm pretty sure a heavier buffer will do it ...... sell you this one Lol

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

My favorite shorty, built with the same 12.5 inch Sig barrel in an Aero receiver set but DI instead of piston, much lighter, reliable, much better balance.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice thanks. Was watching shot show and saw a booth with a guy talking about the new 8.6blk. And he mentioned it used a 6.5 parent case. That made me think of the new 6.5 spear coming out. And how they haven't said how they'd make a quiet version yet. I'm betting that will be the new 300blk heheh. So I may wait and see how that pans out and if it happens, then that will be my next AR10 shorty

·
🎖USN Retired
7,709 Posts
201 - 220 of 352 Posts