SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow 716I owners and SIG enthusiasts,
Our thread has been stickied. In order to keep it going, we must stick to relevant and pertinent information while adhearing to the Forum's code of conduct in order to prevent the thread from being locked. Thank you for your time and enjoy our thread.

I have a few threads at other forums discussing the SIG 716I Tread in detail. I believe it is the best AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle/ battle rifle for the money. Fellow owners have shared experiences and debated its quality, capabilities and worthiness with the naysayers. There have also been several new owners welcomed to the group and the platform is quickly growing.
Here is my 716I. It has a 21st of January 2021 build date. To date I've fired almost 565rds of both 7.62 and .308 match, premium hunting, and ball ammunition all with no issues and I absolutely love this rifle. I am not a precision shooter and I am learning the gun and how to shoot better at the same time. My best group so far is 1.387 MOA.
Font Line Parallel Circle Symmetry

I am not as good as the gun yet but I am getting better fast. My problem is patience so at least I know what I'm fighting and where to improve.
My 716I is set up as a DMR with a Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF with a Mk1-MRAD reticle. My BUIS are Magpul Pro Offsets. I have a Magpul Bipod, MVG, and MOE K2+ along with a SureFire ProComp up front and a Vltor EMOD stock in the rear. I added the JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring Kit to my factory trigger and brought my pull weight under 5lbs and also added the SIG Ambi-Charger.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Here some videos of me hitting and missing because I didn't want to listen to my Strelok Pro.

SIG 716I TREAD 7.62X51 Kneeling Supported
Let's hear your thoughts and see your pictures and get this group going on this amazing rifle.

I will update this post with facts and information about this rifle.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Rectangle

Font Metal Science Art Machine

Font Parallel Document Screenshot Number

POC for questions or services is David Gringas with CS at SIG USA.
[email protected]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Didn't realize till now u asked for photos also. Oops!.. here's my SIG rifle family so far. I have a rattler on the way. I just threw a cheap scope n gear on the 716 tho till I get the rattler paid for. I'll update the photo once everything is finished. Been dealing on accessories to afford to get more guns instead lately. The other is a MPX with binary and a few goodies on it. I plan to swap it's gear out too for other setups later also. The Sawed-off-cop-killer in the photo however isn't a SIG.. it's just my morbidly obese chihuahua that always hogs the couch when time to photo guns lol. And yeah I'd like to see what others have done to thiers. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks bud. It's my first AR10. kinda wished I had the gen1 but like u said the price is better. Seems like a sweet rifle tho. This fall I plan to have it set up by then and find a place to see what she can do. I've only fired it a few times when I bought it on my shorter home range and so far so good. Seems like a beast so far. So I'm happy to have one setup in 308.. for just in case ya gotta obliterate every thing.. including vehicles lol. And still small enough to take game and target shoot. I'd say it's a good all purpose size

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice!

How much does this 716 weigh with a loaded mag? That's a 25 rd I assume?

I have a few threads at other forums discussing the SIG 716I Tread in detail. I believe it is the best AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle/ battle rifle for the money. Fellow owners have shared experiences and debated its quality, capabilities and worthiness with the naysayers. Several new owners have also been welcomed to the group.
I've been waiting but we still don't have a dedicated 716I Tread thread here, at the home of SIG. So here is mine. I've fired almost 500rds with no issues and absolutely love this rifle. Let's hear your thoughts and see your pictures and get a group going on this amazing rifle.
View attachment 412589
I will update this post with facts and information about this rifle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have both p-mags and steel mags for mine. Stocked up on metal ones. I just prefer steel. And they have a cool look on the 716 when in it too imo. And when they get some wear on them they just keep looking cooler lol. These are still new tho

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was at the store today looking at a second AR. They had a 716i, I don’t have a long range to shoot at, I’m maxed out at 200 yards but the rifle has a bunch of great features and was pretty.

Talk me into the 716i over a second AR!

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was at the store today looking at a second AR. They had a 716i, I don’t have a long range to shoot at, I’m maxed out at 200 yards but the rifle has a bunch of great features and was pretty.

Talk me into the 716i over a second AR!
@ThudSound
I have owned my SIG716I for a few months and it's an amazing rifle. I have it set up as a DMR and it is currently my favorite rifle to shoot. It has been very accurate and reliable. When I was comparison shopping AR-10 style platforms in .308, the reason the SIG716I stuck out was because it offers an extreme value for the price! I don't believe I should have to pay for the KAC or the LMT to receive a great rifle. I expect to purchase something close to, as good, or better than the competition for less. After all, the 716I is designed from the floor up to be a battle rifle. Not only does it look the part, it performs it sans the $2.5k-$5k price tag IMO.

To date, India has purchased over 144,000 units.
TFB Indian Army Orders 72,000 more..... article
The first 72,400 units were purchased in February 2019. With time to change thier minds if the 716I didn't perform as expected, India instead doubled down and the following year requested an additional 72,000 rifles. I'll assume this was indicative of something being done right by SIG. I personally love my 716I. It's not just another Direct Impingement AR-10 style rifle. It is built solid and features a precision nitride coated, carbon steel 1:10 twist barrel while some competitors offer pencil barrels to save weight. The barrel was designed to also handle full auto fire, and has a rifle length pinned gas block to provide a smoother softer recoil impulse. Its bolt has dual ejectors which I've read is a positive, providing AR-10's increased ejection and extraction reliability. It has a chrome lined bolt carrier that has lightning cuts, possibly for beauty or possibly for functionality. The 15" M-LOK handguard is keyed with a male end that locks into the upper receiver female end offering a repeatable perfect alignment with the upper receiver. The handguard also features a full length 1913 top rail with M-LOK points at the 3/6/9. It has an ambidextrous safety and magazine release along with an oversized BHO release lever. The rear lower receiver offers ambidextrous QD mounting points and overall the entire rifle is finished very nicely.

There are 2 fixes I would off the bat recommend; The trigger is a smooth single stage polished trigger but weighs in around 8.5lb and doesn't compliment precision shooting. I lightened up mine beautifully with a JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit establishing around a 4.5lb pull. The charging handle is my other quick fix area. It is awkwardly small and insufficient for this rifle and yes, unfortunately it's proprietary but SIG sells a $50 dual latch replacement that is perfect.
All in all for the price it is a formidable battle rifle that can double as a 16" DMR or hunting platform. It is very competitive and the better value when compared to the more expensive and reputable names manufacturing quality offerings within the AR-10 category. Whatever you chose, enjoy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only curve ball is now I will need a new optic with some good magnification, new mags and Ammo! Just getting a second AR allows me to swap them around.

I’m going back to the store tomorrow to check it out again…

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm considering either a 3 OR 4X magnified prism optic. Or a LVPO. LVPO can go from 0 to 10 or more times zoom. And can reach stuff out to 300 yards or more with ease. And I think both have etched reticles. So if I decided to magnify a prism I guess I could and reach further without astigmatism blurs. And both having etched reticles will work even if batteries die. I have alot of red dots now. But all are a little blurry and when magnified it's only worse. I may go these routes cause they'll still be good for close combat.. and DMR purposes. So myself I may go one of those two routes. Most likely the LVPO tho

·
🎖USA Retired
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question. I put a binary in my MPX. now I have the Timney trigger in a box at home. Will it fit I'm my 716? Saw above someone mentioned it uses an AR FCG

It very well should work and the 716I's Nitrided Carbon Steel barrel is built to take FA and rapid firing so please fire away and let us know how it goes. Take Care and post pics.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts