SIG Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OP, If you can find one, look at the Sig 290RS. Small, polymer, 380 or 9mm. Needs a trigger, but meets your criteria. Galloway used to have a trigger kit, but I think they infringed on someone. Maybe RS somebody. You're the one that said, "searching for something that doesn't exist" so while you're at it, 290's are out there but be sure to get the RS. Stands for Re-Strike
Owned both the 9mm and 380 versions. The 380 may be the better of the two with such a smooth slide action.
Good micro-compact but heavy. Really wish Sig would have refined this handgun to compliment the P365.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just can't do those neat little guns ... hands too big. I wear XXL shooting gloves, size 12 ring and sometimes small is just "too small". I carry a 642 Airweight most days and it's about as small and light as I want to deal with. I also have a 638 Bodyguard Airweight for back-up. Both carry easily on a belt or in a jacket pocket. Maybe a little much for pants pocket unless they're heavy jeans.

They have good power with modern self-defense ammo, solid revolver reliability and I can get a good firm grip on them. I do have a 320 sub-compact but with a full load of 12 rounds it feels like a brick compared to the Airweights.

View attachment 427324
I've got three air weights. Great handguns but for me, not very pocketable.
I rely on them when fishing or as a center console weapon.

The more I think about things, the more I'm leaning towards the P238. Still have a few local gun stores to scope out, so there's still hope.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My daughter's first gen Ruger LCP is tiny and light. It would get lost in my pocket. Carried it for a little while in my back pocket just because it fit better there. The pocket holster needed a clip to keep it from moving around in my pocket. The thing was horrible for recreational shooting, but that was due to its lack of real sights, long trigger, super light weight and my having a pair of P238's that spoiled me. However, that thing always went bang and I have never seen it jamb and my daughter has run at least 500 rounds most of them my handloads through it while I was around. Only thing it needed other than cleaning and lube was once I had to figure out how to get the take down pin out after I noticed it had broken at some time. Gun ran fine, just discovered it when I went to clean it one day.
I've owned three LCPs. One of the originals and two of the LCP IIs. They are the right size and feel good in the hand and pocket. I just hate the trigger. The LCP II is headed in the right direction but it still has a lot to be desired. Heck, I didn't mind the sights. Just could never bring myself to tolerate the trigger.

Eh... I'll run across a P238 one of these days and then start the journey of buying grips, extra mags and the holster that rides just right.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
If Ruger had a better trigger, that might do the trick or if the Berretta .32s were thinner. The Kahr P380 might do the trick, but I've yet to own a Kahr that didn't have issues. The Sig P238 is another option, but finding those these days is like trying to find a Springfield Highpower.
Which Ruger are you talking about? My Ruger LCP II trigger is amazing. I will say it right now, it's a different animal of course, but it is every bit as good as my Grayguns trigger on my P229 or my Langdon Tactical trigger on my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Yeah, no joke, it's that good, and if I am being brutally honest, it may even be better.

Of course, I don't look at triggers the same way others do. Over the last 16 years I've been learning about pistol triggers, everyone seems to be concerned with things that I don't think matter. What I mean is is that the only thing I care about is what the sight picture does when I dry fire the pistol and how quickly I can shoot a pistol for its type with follow up shots. When dry practicing, the front sight is absolutely frozen on my Ruger LCP II in such a stable way that it exceeds the DA in both the other guns I mentioned and at least matches their single actions. Again, I don't care about trigger weight, creep, having the shortest reset, or whether a trigger has a crisp break or rolls through the break. I can get used to any of that. I don't even mind gritty or stagy triggers. The only thing I care about is that—when my hands and eyes interface with a gun, I can pull the trigger absolutely cleanly (and I can).

I would be hard pressed to find a factor trigger that I can pull more cleanly than my Ruger LCP II, and I know I am not alone. Nutnfancy, for example, loves that trigger too, as do many others. Some people, however, don't care for it, and that's always going to happen with any gun because the shape of someone's hands and fingers can have as much to do with trigger control as their training (at least in some rare situations). Some people can't pull DA triggers. I don't get it, but I take their word for it. I can pull just about anything. I've had 12-13 lb. triggers that I can pull at least initially as accurately as anything (follow up shots are a different matter).

The LCP II, however, may be a bad choice for some individuals' hands, but by and large it is a phenomenal trigger (especially for the type) and, from my experience owning one and reading about others' experiences, I would say that is the reputation for the pistol. I don't know of a pistol in its class with a "better" trigger. I love, love, love my Ruger LCP II trigger, and I can have it disappear in my pocket (which is why I bought it). The trigger is so good, however, that I recently bought a Ruger (Desantis) IWB holster for it that is also surprisingly excellent (I've had bad and not-so-great experiences with DeSantis before, but not this time). When it's in my pocket I just use the pocket holster it comes with. I doubt anyone will ever see it print on me and it allows me to use the extended trigger. if I didn't have one already, I might look to see if the Ruger LCP Max is concealable enough (I think it probably is) because it holds more rounds and has better (however less diminutive) sights. I fill mine in with orange paint over a white base coat to make the factory sights pop.

It's not the best picture, but you get the idea.
Bookcase Shelf Publication Shelving Gesture

The Ruger LCP II is obviously very concealable and I think the trigger is wonderful. I had a Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 as well that had a phenominal DAO trigger for the initial pull. In fact, it was better than either of my DA/SA guns, but follow up shots are horrible if you plan to shoot fast. Not so with the Ruger LCP II. If the reset was any longer I wouldn't like the trigger, but it is just short enough that I can shoot it very fast and accurately for the type. Personally, I don't know of a "better" pistol for deep concealment in one's pocket. Certainly nothing in this price range.
Wood Everyday carry Gun accessory Air gun Font

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
One thing I feel I should mention. I personally won't carry anything smaller in caliber than a .380 ACP because it appears to be significantly better statistically at stopping people than .22LR, .25 ACP, or .32 ACP. Significantly! And because .380 ACP pistols like the Ruger LCP II are perfectly pocketable, I don't see a need for anything smaller unless I was desperate and needed to stuff one up my bum in order to infiltrate a terrorist group holding the love of my life hostage or something. ;)

Reactions: nikk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Which Ruger are you talking about? My Ruger LCP II trigger is amazing. I will say it right now, it's a different animal of course, but it is every bit as good as my Grayguns trigger on my P229 or my Langdon Tactical trigger on my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Yeah, no joke, it's that good, and if I am being brutally honest, it may even be better
I didn't like the trigger pull with the LCP and the LCP II. Travel time too long and just never felt right. I will say that the LCP II is a step in the right direction, but I don't care for it.

To me, the Ruger LCP trigger falls into one of three categories. You like it, you live with it or you don't like it. Not saying those who like it or live with it are wrong. Just saying I don't like it.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I didn't like the trigger pull with the LCP and the LCP II. Travel time too long and just never felt right. I will say that the LCP II is a step in the right direction, but I don't care for it.

To me, the Ruger LCP trigger falls into one of three categories. You like it, you live with it or you don't like it. Not saying those who like it or live with it are wrong. Just saying I don't like it.
One other thing to consider is the sample you tired. Sometimes pistols just have a bad trigger. Like I said, however, everyone's hands are different. Sometimes it's just a bad marriage. But it's definitely a great trigger at the macro level (and I hated the LCP trigger).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One other thing to consider is the sample you tired. Sometimes pistols just have a bad trigger. Like I said, however, everyone's hands are different. Sometimes it's just a bad marriage. But it's definitely a great trigger at the macro level (and I hated the LCP trigger).
So. You're saying there are bad LCP triggers? It just depends on what sample you get?
If you like the trigger and think it's great, that's fine. You should definitely carry something you are comfortable with.
Me. I don't like them and won't be revisiting the LCP anytime soon.

Changing gears.
I kinda wish there was a revolver smaller than a Smith J frame but larger than a North American Arms. I don't there has been such a thing since the old Smith 32.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Eh.. went with the P238. Found a used one at a local gun store at the right price and couldn't resist.

I figured as difficult as these guns are to find, I didn't need to let this one slip away. Just need to install night sights and replace the grip panels (never did like Sig's flat panels) and it'll be ready to go.

Still wish there was a slightly smaller option, such as a dependable Kahr P380, but for the time being this will fill the need nicely.

Thanks for the insights, advice and discussion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Beretta Pico, .380 ACP, is about as thin of a center fire pistol as you can get.

The width is listed as 18MM which is less than 3/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Eh.. went with the P238. Found a used one at a local gun store at the right price and couldn't resist.
Still wish there was a slightly smaller option, such as a dependable Kahr P380, but for the time being this will fill the need nicely.
Congrats on the find. IMHO, with all things considered, the P238 is the best choice for you.
Good thing that you jumped on it when you had the chance.

I too, lament that the Kahr cannot be trusted. It has so many things going for it; size, looks, trigger... but the lack of reliability just kills it.
Mine would rarely go back into battery. It had to be manually assisted with nearly every round.
I sent it in and they put a stronger spring in it and then I could not rack the slide. Ridiculous.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts