SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you hate looking for a handgun that doesn't exist. I'm looking for a small handgun a touch larger than a North American Arms revolver but smaller than the Sig P365. Something that can get lost in your pants pocket, like a North American Arms, but shoots centerfire ammo.

If Ruger had a better trigger, that might do the trick or if the Berretta .32s were thinner. The Kahr P380 might do the trick, but I've yet to own a Kahr that didn't have issues. The Sig P238 is another option, but finding those these days is like trying to find a Springfield Highpower.

If Smith would start producing the pocket .32 that might work or if Seecamps didn't require a second mortgage (when you can find them). The North American Guardian was considered but boat anchors are lighter. Bond Arms is an option but two shots?

I guess until I find something that fits the bill, I'll be forced to continue to visit the local gun store. Such a burden.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I feel your pain. :)

I also had unresolvable problems with both, my Kahr P380 and PM9.
And, it seems many snubs have a trigger pull approaching 20 lbs. Ridiculous!

Would love to see Kimber make a 32 cal, 5-shot revolver.
My K6 DASA feels like butter.

·
🎖USAF Retired
702 Posts
Check out the Walther PPK .380. It's a little heavy for pocket carry but otherwise an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't you hate looking for a handgun that doesn't exist. I'm looking for a small handgun a touch larger than a North American Arms revolver but smaller than the Sig P365. Something that can get lost in your pants pocket, like a North American Arms, but shoots centerfire ammo.

If Ruger had a better trigger, that might do the trick or if the Berretta .32s were thinner. The Kahr P380 might do the trick, but I've yet to own a Kahr that didn't have issues. The Sig P238 is another option, but finding those these days is like trying to find a Springfield Highpower.

If Smith would start producing the pocket .32 that might work or if Seecamps didn't require a second mortgage (when you can find them). The North American Guardian was considered but boat anchors are lighter. Bond Arms is an option but two shots?

I guess until I find something that fits the bill, I'll be forced to continue to visit the local gun store. Such a burden.
Kittery Trading Post just had a used Seecamp .32 for sale. They’re out there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a Bond Arms derringer, with .327FM and .40S&W barrels. They are hard to shoot, and heavy. For the size and weight, there are better options.

Small, centerfire, gets lost in your pocket, my choice is a Beretta 950. Photo stolen from the web -

I have had more than one, and they ran fine. Even had one with a 4" barrel. Found someone who wanted them more than I did, so sold them all. .25acp is a fine up close caliber.

Another option, but larger, is the Bond Arms Bullpup9. Here is a decent article, if you have not read about theBullpup9 before...

I also had a P938, but it was not pocketable for me. Small, light, easy to shoot, good gun overall. I traded it for a lighter gun - S&W 351C. Not a centerfire, tho.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
This is a super reliable and accurate option. Bought it new way back when and was a bug. Thought about selling it once but glad I didn’t. 100% original except for the G10s.
View attachment 427101
View attachment 427102
I don’t know what I like better. Those nifty looking G10s, or that stack of 380 auto boxes in the left corner. 👍

Reactions: AzMaz

·
Registered
276 Posts
The most realistic, smaller than a P365 choice, is probably the Sig P238... but they are scarce as hen's teeth.

If you would consider a Springfield 911 .380, you might have more luck finding one.
The 911 .380 is the same size as the P238, has night sights and fantastic G10 grips.
They are probably $100 cheaper than the P238.

I was very impressed when I held one at my LGS. I do not know about their reliability though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a Walther PPK (great gun but heavy). Also have a P230, but it's what my wife prefers.
The P238 is a front runner and I'm not opposed to the Springfield 911, but would like to get my hands on one first.

nikk... thanks for the link and I'll check it out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Try a Kel-Tec in 32, if they're still made. My has run flawlessly for a number of years, and I got a nice little clip for it, like on single blade pocket knives. Doesn't get lost in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I don’t know what I like better. Those nifty looking G10s, or that stack of 380 auto boxes in the left corner. 👍
Ha! If you like my “short stack” of 380 ammo you’d love my my 9mm and 40 stockpiles! Not as good as IHOP’s unlimited pancake deal but more than enough. Glad I bought back before the ammo Dark Ages arrived.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Ha! If you like my “short stack” of 380 ammo you’d love my my 9mm and 40 stockpiles! Not as good as IHOP’s unlimited pancake deal but more than enough. Glad I bought back before the ammo Dark Ages arrived.
Yup. I’ve got crazy amounts of everything but 380. Only 380 I have is a P230, and seriously never stockpiled ammo for it, because I thought I would never carry it. Here I am 2 years into the new normal, and all I have is a 380 auto sized pile of regret.

Reactions: AzMaz

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My daughter's first gen Ruger LCP is tiny and light. It would get lost in my pocket. Carried it for a little while in my back pocket just because it fit better there. The pocket holster needed a clip to keep it from moving around in my pocket. The thing was horrible for recreational shooting, but that was due to its lack of real sights, long trigger, super light weight and my having a pair of P238's that spoiled me. However, that thing always went bang and I have never seen it jamb and my daughter has run at least 500 rounds most of them my handloads through it while I was around. Only thing it needed other than cleaning and lube was once I had to figure out how to get the take down pin out after I noticed it had broken at some time. Gun ran fine, just discovered it when I went to clean it one day.

·
Registered
712 Posts
OP, If you can find one, look at the Sig 290RS. Small, polymer, 380 or 9mm. Needs a trigger, but meets your criteria. Galloway used to have a trigger kit, but I think they infringed on someone. Maybe RS somebody. You're the one that said, "searching for something that doesn't exist" so while you're at it, 290's are out there but be sure to get the RS. Stands for Re-Strike

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I just can't do those neat little guns ... hands too big. I wear XXL shooting gloves, size 12 ring and sometimes small is just "too small". I carry a 642 Airweight most days and it's about as small and light as I want to deal with. I also have a 638 Bodyguard Airweight for back-up. Both carry easily on a belt or in a jacket pocket. Maybe a little much for pants pocket unless they're heavy jeans.

They have good power with modern self-defense ammo, solid revolver reliability and I can get a good firm grip on them. I do have a 320 sub-compact but with a full load of 12 rounds it feels like a brick compared to the Airweights.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Kitchen utensil Gun barrel

Reactions: nikk
1 - 20 of 31 Posts