SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article on Sig Sauer - it goes into the background, current status and future of the company. It's in a management journal I read. Thought others would want to get more info on the high quality guys who build our beloved SIGs. Sig Sauer has had a complicated trajectory, but it has stabilized and is doing great.

Management Today Magazine - SIG SAUER Inc.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
There are lots of Companies that need a good toilet flush and bring in new thinkers. Good article.

·
Registered
35,153 Posts
The great thing about our system of supply and demand is those toilet flush companies get eaten by companies running on all cylinders. Survival of the fittest works in all forms of life.

I live in one of those under developed areas. Lots of people know Sigs, but not much of them available to buy. When they are here, they sell.

Good article, and current events at Sig show up in the history of what he says.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As someone who was working at SIG at the time of Cohen's entry, I have to say that a lot of that article is incredibly self-serving and some wildly inaccurate.

It is true that SIG was in dire straits. Mere months before Cohen came onboard the company was warning us that it might not make payroll. And it is true that Cohen's departure from the way SIG had been doing business for years has led the company to a huge explosion in the commercial market.

However, he was also essentially personally responsible for many of the QC issues that plagued the company perilously for the first few years of his reign. People can scoff or pretend that it was overblown on the internet but I was actually delivering tens of thousands of guns per year to my military and federal customers and the change in quality was enormous. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to guarantee a high profile government customer "every gun you get will be test fired at the factory" only to have their next shipment arrive with every single gun missing its extractor.

I honestly do believe the company has turned the corner on most of the QC stuff but talking to friends and former co-workers still there I can tell you that it's still not where it was when I first started. They are moving in the right direction but there are more cost-cutting decisions than ever would have been allowed under the old (and going bankrupt... clue?) regime. The article talks about less outsourcing and more in-house stuff, for example, but that's untrue. All small parts used to come straight from SIG Germany and were of impeccable quality. Now lots of the small parts come from companies all over the world, including the 3rd world, and consistency from lot to lot changes.

For those who don't know, in the interest of disclosure I got fired from SIG more or less directly by Cohen after we had a big public argument on the floor of the SHOT Show about QC and customer service so it would be wrong to call me unbiased. :cool:

I'm genuinely glad that SIG is getting better and, for the first time in eight years I just bought a new SIG. That's how confident I am in the company's direction and quality today.

But some of that article is just crazy talk. :cool:

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Welcome ToddG, and thanks for a different perspective- it rings more true.

Reactions: PA28FDO

·
Registered
258 Posts
As someone who was working at SIG at the time of Cohen's entry, I have to say that a lot of that article is incredibly self-serving and some wildly inaccurate.

It is true that SIG was in dire straits. Mere months before Cohen came onboard the company was warning us that it might not make payroll. And it is true that Cohen's departure from the way SIG had been doing business for years has led the company to a huge explosion in the commercial market.

However, he was also essentially personally responsible for many of the QC issues that plagued the company perilously for the first few years of his reign. People can scoff or pretend that it was overblown on the internet but I was actually delivering tens of thousands of guns per year to my military and federal customers and the change in quality was enormous. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to guarantee a high profile government customer "every gun you get will be test fired at the factory" only to have their next shipment arrive with every single gun missing its extractor.

I honestly do believe the company has turned the corner on most of the QC stuff but talking to friends and former co-workers still there I can tell you that it's still not where it was when I first started. They are moving in the right direction but there are more cost-cutting decisions than ever would have been allowed under the old (and going bankrupt... clue?) regime. The article talks about less outsourcing and more in-house stuff, for example, but that's untrue. All small parts used to come straight from SIG Germany and were of impeccable quality. Now lots of the small parts come from companies all over the world, including the 3rd world, and consistency from lot to lot changes.

For those who don't know, in the interest of disclosure I got fired from SIG more or less directly by Cohen after we had a big public argument on the floor of the SHOT Show about QC and customer service so it would be wrong to call me unbiased. :cool:

I'm genuinely glad that SIG is getting better and, for the first time in eight years I just bought a new SIG. That's how confident I am in the company's direction and quality today.

But some of that article is just crazy talk. :cool:
Thanks for the insight, and welcome from Georgia.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Todd, when I posted this article, I took it all as real. I would like to say the truth is somewhere in the middle - but I suspect that your version is the truth. Still - good to see some of the distant company background and international stuff - none of which I know. Thnx for the feedback!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like I said, I'm unabashedly biased against Cohen and at least partially it's personal, not professional. No one should take what I said as gospel any more than what was said in the article.

Reactions: PA28FDO

·
Registered
35,153 Posts
Welcome ToddG
and OK I will query your side of it.
What did you buy. :D

The QC issues and the rush to market have been a hot topic.
I see Kimbers sold absolutely everywhere, and saw some of that in Sig rushing the little guns out without rigid inhouse trials. Whole new experience and learnig curve as the 1911s were before them.
Service has done much to keep them in good stead while they learned.
His article was real positive without meat and potatoes. Good to hear your side as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts

This reminds me of QC at Clark Equipment Co. just before they went TU in the 1980s. In order to make the ship quota at the end of the month, QC was ordered to stamp the forktruck " OK to ship - Less Backorder " which could be anything from a nut and bolt to a complete drivetrain.

Sometimes it was shipped with the BO to be corrected at the dealer or after delivery.

It doesn't matter what the product is, bad management can ruin any company.

GeezerD

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome aboard Todd, some if what you'd said was kinda sideways talked about in my latest armorer course. Having had an Exeter 226 "end of month get them out the door" and a German triple stamped 229 it was like comparing a Mercedes SEL to a Chrysler 300

·
Registered
35,153 Posts
Impressive
I'm more of a couple boxes a week type. So I'll be 10 years behind you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts