SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Also called the P229 40 Sport Stock, and the cardboard box label says "P229 Sport 40 SL". It's a SS frame, bull barrel, adjustable sights, German Sig Master Shop pistol that was made in limited numbers in 2017, or thereabouts, and imported to the USA only by relatively small importer/s. This differed from the P229 Sport .357 and .40 with compensator, in that this gun had no aluminum comp and thus obviously had the front sight mounted on the slide. The bull barrel is 1mm larger in diameter than a standard P229. Here's a short video of Robert Burke unboxing his order. At about 55 seconds into the video, I think Robert says there were probably 200 or so (my hearing is bad and I can't quite get all he's saying). I've not found evidence of that many from the serials numbers I'm aware of (see below). Nearly all these guns were apparently imported by MMBI in Mayersville MD.

This is a photo of a very similar Sig that was made just before the first P229 40 SL (Serial AM 174 352 and imported by TAI Minot ND (very discreetly marked on the very edge of the magazine well - whereas the other guns I've seen were import marked on the dust cover.

(this gun recently sold on GunBroker)

Note the beveled edge at the muzzle end of the slide, this is in contrast to the Sport Stock that has no muzzel side bevel (so it would mate smoothly with a comp) and this gun has neither a bull barrel nor adjustable sights. It also has "P229" on the right side of the slide, whereas the Sport Stock has "P229 S" on the left side of the slide. What this does establish, fairly closely, is about where the serial number of the first Sport Stock could start . . . the lowest serial of a P229 Sport Stock I've seen is AM 174 357 (only five digits later).

The highest serial number of a P229 Sport Stock I've seen, also recently sold on GunBroker, is AM 174 442, which puts the number of these guns, I can confirm, at 90 total. The number range could be greater, and likely is of course. If you are aware of serial numbers higher, please add an approximate number to this thread, what I'm most interested in is a close approximation of the total.

I have four Sport Stocks, two consecutive serials and another that were imported by MMBI. A fourth sample has no importer stamp - strange (maybe bought in DE and carried back?).

Any additional info much appreciated, especially if you have a P229 Sport Stock outside the serial number range I know of: 357 to 442.

·
Vendor
859 Posts
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Everyday carry Font Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

Trigger Air gun Mammal Line Gun barrel
Air gun Everyday carry Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I know that a few were imported by MMBI as well as Bob. I imported 40 myself but only a very few (guessing less than 5) were sold via GB. I had a few collectors buying consecutive serial numbers and two guys actually purchased 3 of each. It's a phenomenal gun. I'm not really that great of a shooter with compact pistols but this one is a huge exception. For whatever reason I'm accurate with it as with my five or six in guns.

I'm in Europe at the moment but next week when I get back (if you were mind me, please) I will look up the span of my serial numbers.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Also called the P229 40 Sport Stock, and the cardboard box label says "P229 Sport 40 SL". It's a SS frame, bull barrel, adjustable sights, German Sig Master Shop pistol that was made in limited numbers in 2017, or thereabouts, and imported to the USA only by relatively small importer/s. This differed from the P229 Sport .357 and .40 with compensator, in that this gun had no aluminum comp and thus obviously had the front sight mounted on the slide. The bull barrel is 1mm larger in diameter than a standard P229. Here's a short video of Robert Burke unboxing his order. At about 55 seconds into the video, I think Robert says there were probably 200 or so (my hearing is bad and I can't quite get all he's saying). I've not found evidence of that many from the serials numbers I'm aware of (see below). Nearly all these guns were apparently imported by MMBI in Mayersville MD.

This is a photo of a very similar Sig that was made just before the first P229 40 SL (Serial AM 174 352 and imported by TAI Minot ND (very discreetly marked on the very edge of the magazine well - whereas the other guns I've seen were import marked on the dust cover.

(this gun recently sold on GunBroker)

Note the beveled edge at the muzzle end of the slide, this is in contrast to the Sport Stock that has no muzzel side bevel (so it would mate smoothly with a comp) and this gun has neither a bull barrel nor adjustable sights. It also has "P229" on the right side of the slide, whereas the Sport Stock has "P229 S" on the left side of the slide. What this does establish, fairly closely, is about where the serial number of the first Sport Stock could start . . . the lowest serial of a P229 Sport Stock I've seen is AM 174 357 (only five digits later).

The highest serial number of a P229 Sport Stock I've seen, also recently sold on GunBroker, is AM 174 442, which puts the number of these guns, I can confirm, at 90 total. The number range could be greater, and likely is of course. If you are aware of serial numbers higher, please add an approximate number to this thread, what I'm most interested in is a close approximation of the total.

I have four Sport Stocks, two consecutive serials and another that were imported by MMBI. A fourth sample has no importer stamp - strange (maybe bought in DE and carried back?).

Any additional info much appreciated, especially if you have a P229 Sport Stock outside the serial number range I know of: 352 to 442.
WOW !Any idea what they went for originally ? No GB prices.

·
Administrator
42,306 Posts
WOW !Any idea what they went for originally ? No GB prices.
MSRP $1,070

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is from the batch that Milos/Armory Craft imported it's in the 352 to 442 serial number range. I bought a 9mm conversion barrel for it but never really shot it after I lucked into a franken P229S Sport frame and built a 9mm "Sport" clone with a AC Stainless comp instead of the usual single port Sport comp.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to have one of those with the fixed rear site! Damn! I wish SIG made more.
Yes! That AM 174 352 gun is very interesting, and may likely be rarer than the Sport Stock. Kicking myself for not bidding on it when I saw it on GB. Here's a pic of the opposite side, note it has the same "turned out" slide release tab, but lacks the extended mag release button of the Sport Stock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes! That AM 174 352 gun is very interesting, and may likely be rarer than the Sport Stock. Kicking myself for not bidding on it when I saw it on GB. Here's a pic of the opposite side, note it has the same "turned out" slide release tab, but lacks the extended mag release button of the Sport Stock.
It doesn't have the extended magazine release button, therefor they didn't need to fit the modified/chamfered decocker.

If you add a extended mag release to any Sig you have to chamfer your decocker or put in a legion/p224 decocker that will clear without modification.

Edit see example, frame was a mess with a blued 357 sig slide and just no decocker at all yet still had the original extended mag release and slide catch.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bit of a revival. 12131 pointed me to this thread in the one I just started. I must have missed it before. I do have one thing to add though. I can't see that anyone else mentioned it. Another curious thing about this P229 that was recently on GB is that the proof marks themselves are mismatched. It has the Eagle-over-N mark familiar to this era of SIGs on the frame, but it has the newer CIP-over-N mark on the slide.

·
Vendor
859 Posts
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

For those of you that are keeping track of serial numbers of this awesome gun, here are some serial numbers of P229 Sport that we have imported.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, to bring the P229 Sport 40 SL serial number list up to date, on the low end is AM 174 357 (in my collection), up to AM 174 447 (one of the guns Milos' ArmoryCraft imported). That spread accounts for just 90 pistols total so far. If you know of one of these beautiful pistols outside this number range, please post here or PM me if you prefer to maintain anonymity, as some prefer not to have a given gun serial associated with their name.

Post #1, this thread shows AM 174 352 (which is pre- Sport 40 SL), this makes my AM 174 357 the earliest gun is this run that I'm aware of (it'd be very nice if it really were the first!! I doubt I'm that lucky!).

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
73 Posts
View attachment 483560
View attachment 483558
View attachment 483559
View attachment 483561
View attachment 483562 View attachment 483563

I know that a few were imported by MMBI as well as Bob. I imported 40 myself but only a very few (guessing less than 5) were sold via GB. I had a few collectors buying consecutive serial numbers and two guys actually purchased 3 of each. It's a phenomenal gun. I'm not really that great of a shooter with compact pistols but this one is a huge exception. For whatever reason I'm accurate with it as with my five or six in guns.

I'm in Europe at the moment but next week when I get back (if you were mind me, please) I will look up the span of my serial numbers.
Great collection that armory craft extended magazine baseplate looks amazing

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great collection that armory craft extended magazine baseplate looks amazing
@SLyankee357 brings up a good point. These guns came with a 10 round 40/357 magazine with an aluminum base. The base is made of bare aluminum (not anodized), and has a deep hollow recess in the base. I don't know for sure, but from scratches adjacent to the mounting screws (seen on one example of the P229 357 Sport with comp on GB, guessing, but it looks like Sig may have left the compensator bare aluminum as well. (One can easily check if aluminum is anodized with an ohmmeter, as bare aluminum conducts while the anodize layer is an insulator). Anodizing is also very hard, being comprised of aluminum oxide.

I purchased several anodized aluminum bases from a guy on another forum (who no longer makes them). I was not aware Armory Craft had them.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love these but I need a rail!
Rails are good, but IMO they detract mightily from the gun's smooth lines and appearance. Still, they have their place if you need to mount a weapon light/laser, transistor radio etc. Only one of my Classic Sigs has a rail, along with a suppressor, for HD use. Unfortunately nearly all guns are made with rails nowadays, I bet most rails are seldom if ever used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts