SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
Meticulous dimensional comparisons and slide manipulation, both manual and with live round firing.

Interesting. I am curious as to what you measured your barrel diameters at for your 40, 357, and 9mm barrels.

In the past the 9mm diameter was smaller than the 40/357 barrels so it was recommended to go with a conversion barrel which is made with the same outside diameter.

Here is a link to our barrel conversion sticky.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-gunsmithing/17536-barrel-conversion-tables.html

·
Premium Member
18,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting. I am curious as to what you measured your barrel diameters at for your 40, 357, and 9mm barrels.

In the past the 9mm diameter was smaller than the 40/357 barrels so it was recommended to go with a conversion barrel which is made with the same outside diameter.
My measurements are based on three P226 barrels, one is a 9mm with a couple thousand rounds through it, one is a 357 SIG barrel, also with a couple thousand rounds through it, and a second 357 SIG barrel, relatively new with 200 rounds though it.

I have taken four measurements, these are the dims I see as critical for this purpose:

1) Barrel Diameter at the muzzle;
2) Barrel Diameter 2" back from the muzzle;
3) Hood width; and
4) Height from the bottom of the camming lug to the top of the hood.

The dimensions, all in English taken with a Mitutoyo mic, will be listed by the above numbering scheme.

9mm

1) .5310"
2) .5295"
3) .6550"
4) 1.0985"

Used 357 SIG

1) .5310"
2) .5305"
3) .6565"
4) 1.1040"

New(er) 357 SIG

1) .5320"
2) .5290"
3) .6545"
4) 1.1060"

These barrels all cycle quite well in my P226 357 SIG native slide and achieve quite good lockup in the process.

While I had the mics out, I also checked the width of the barrel hood of each of these barrels that engages with the breech face of the slide. I found the following measurements, again, in English:

9mm .4050"

357 SIG - older - .4325"

357 SIG - newer - .4330"

If you can think of any dimensions I have missed here that you deem critical for this discussion, please let me know. But based on these findings and my use of the 357 SIG handgun with the 9mm barrel, a conversion barrel is not required to convert a P226 from 40 S&W or 357 SIG. A SIG OEM 9mm barrel with a 9mm recoil spring and 9mm mags will work just fine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks! After I resurrected an old thread on the topic specifically for the p226 I got some goofy responses.. MC finally chimed in with helpful info. and seemed to set the record straight. Again, specifically with the p226 40/357 slide and 9mm factory barrel.

This past weekend I put about 250rds thru a p226 40/357slide with 9mm factory TB. No issues whatsoever and it was insanely accurate!

I've been barrel swapping with my p239 for years. Cant wait to start with my p224.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Long Story

Not really - :)

Although I knew a 9mm barrel would fit in a .357SIG slide, I ordered a Bar-Sto conversion barrel anyways. The hood extension is a little wider is susposed to be the only difference. Bar-Sto sent a conversion barrel to me that the diameter of the barrel was undersized. They would not take it back either because SIG Sauer now makes their new barrels undersized also. So Bar-Sto wants us to use their barrel only in new SIG pistols.

I do have that P226 9mm brand new old stock barrel and I will shoot it in a few days. If it is accurate then that would be great. Anyone want two Bar-Sto's that will not fit anything, unless you know how to increase the barrel diameter? I have been shooting the P226 using SIG V-Crown .357SIG.

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
I find all this very interesting. The barrel diameters that Otis posted and what fjgiie has posted says to me that Sig has made changes here and there so it's now a crapshoot what barrel you get and how well they fit.

So now a person best have a micrometer to measure barrels even if they're just getting a replacement for their 9mm barrel.

I wonder what years went from big to small or small to big.

So much for standardization of Sig parts.

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
My measurements are based on three P226 barrels, one is a 9mm with a couple thousand rounds through it, one is a 357 SIG barrel, also with a couple thousand rounds through it, and a second 357 SIG barrel, relatively new with 200 rounds though it.

I have taken four measurements, these are the dims I see as critical for this purpose:

1) Barrel Diameter at the muzzle;
2) Barrel Diameter 2" back from the muzzle;
3) Hood width; and
4) Height from the bottom of the camming lug to the top of the hood.

The dimensions, all in English taken with a Mitutoyo mic, will be listed by the above numbering scheme.

9mm

1) .5310"
2) .5295"
3) .6550"
4) 1.0985"

Used 357 SIG

1) .5310"
2) .5305"
3) .6565"
4) 1.1040"

New(er) 357 SIG

1) .5320"
2) .5290"
3) .6545"
4) 1.1060"

These barrels all cycle quite well in my P226 357 SIG native slide and achieve quite good lockup in the process.

While I had the mics out, I also checked the width of the barrel hood of each of these barrels that engages with the breech face of the slide. I found the following measurements, again, in English:

9mm .4050"

357 SIG - older - .4325"

357 SIG - newer - .4330"

If you can think of any dimensions I have missed here that you deem critical for this discussion, please let me know. But based on these findings and my use of the 357 SIG handgun with the 9mm barrel, a conversion barrel is not required to convert a P226 from 40 S&W or 357 SIG. A SIG OEM 9mm barrel with a 9mm recoil spring and 9mm mags will work just fine.

Thank you for taking the time to measure these. Do you know what year your 226 is?

·
Premium Member
18,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would be interested to know the width of the hood extension on these three barrels.
What is the hood extension? The portion that mates with the breech face?

9mm .4050"

357 SIG - older - .4325"

357 SIG - newer - .4330"

·
Premium Member
18,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find all this very interesting. The barrel diameters that Otis posted and what fjgiie has posted says to me that Sig has made changes here and there so it's now a crapshoot what barrel you get and how well they fit.

So now a person best have a micrometer to measure barrels even if they're just getting a replacement for their 9mm barrel.

I wonder what years went from big to small or small to big.

So much for standardization of Sig parts.
I don't believe this to be the case. The only issue I am aware of is with the Barsto barrels, not with the SIG OEM barrels. If you buy a SIG OEM barrel, you will be pretty safe getting the correct size. If not, they will certainly make good on it. With the Barsto, I am hearing they are not willing to make the exchange to give proper lockup.

At this point, I would most highly recommend going with the SIG OEM P226 9mm barrel if you are interested in converting your 40 S&W or 357 SIG to 9mm.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Stopped by a Cabelas today and took measurements on eight more P226 barrels. The data, along with my prior measurements are captured in the attached jpg. This data further supports the conclusion that the 9mm P226 barrel with work in the 40/357 slides.
This is awesome, thanks! Just out of curiosity, how did that conversation go? "By the way, do you mind bringing out all the P226's you have so that I can measure their barrels?"

Kudos, to you for asking. And to the Cabelas employee for agreeing to it, haha. I do think I'll go shopping there this weekend just for that!

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
This is awesome, thanks! Just out of curiosity, how did that conversation go? "By the way, do you mind bringing out all the P226's you have so that I can measure their barrels?"

Kudos, to you for asking. And to the Cabelas employee for agreeing to it, haha. I do think I'll go shopping there this weekend just for that!
Inquiring minds want to know!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.