SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New first time gun owner. Bought a 9mm P226 basic. Standard ergo grips feel good for my medium hands, and Mrs small hands. Ran a 100+ rounds through it after buying, clean and oiled it but noticed where the cleaner hit the slide caused the Nitron finish to severely lighten up to a grey- near tungsten color.

I thought I ruined the finish or took off a few layers... How durable can something sitting on stainless steel be? Manual said "some solvents may damage the finish on slide, see warnings", no other warnings listed in manual(found Sig typos- a little unnerving), and Hoppes Elite didn't say anything. But I watched some gun care vids and searched and found out- ya i might have hurt it, but might have just dried out it out- a little oil and wiping off brought it back to its original luster and depth of color.

In any event, thanks for bringing me some peace of mind. And to anyone who is on the fence about Sig pistols- I am new to shooting and first-time gun owner, but even I can feel the noticeable difference in balance, recoil, and accuracy of this weapon. It's nice to know that even when prices on ammo/firearms are up, you can still get what you pay for with this manufacturer. Even the Mrs, who is a first time shooter, loves this gun, and had no problem hitting a bullseye 6+ times in row on her 2nd magazine at 15ft. (I did, however, notice a little surface rust between the grooves of the slide release lever- but maybe a brass brush and some oil will do that some good too.)

Thanks again

-Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes, cleaning after only 100 or so rounds seems odd(sig says 1x per year or 5,000 rounds or whichever comes first), but I plan on having this pistol until I die and I really do enjoy preforming maintenance on everything I own... and who would really wait 5,000 rounds to clean/lube somethings as important as their means for protection?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess I didn't read the manual throughly because I clean mine sig everytime I come back from the range. 1x per year and 5k round sounds crazy! A:unsure:

And yes, cleaning after only 100 or so rounds seems odd(sig says 1x per year or 5,000 rounds or whichever comes first), but I plan on having this pistol until I die and I really do enjoy preforming maintenance on everything I own... and who would really wait 5,000 rounds to clean/lube somethings as important as their means for protection?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I guess I didn't read the manual throughly because I clean mine sig everytime I come back from the range"

I know right?? I got that info from their videos on cleaning/care from official sig website...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats on the 226. Great pistol. I'm betting the finish was just dried out a bit, I've found the nitron to be tough.

Never heard the "once a year or 5000 rounds" before? Maybe they were talking about detail stripping? I sure wouldn't let it go that long for a basic cleaning. I pretty much field strip and clean mine after I shoot them, unless it was just a few rounds and I know I'm going to shoot them again in the next few days. I've seen few firearms damage by excessive cleaning, but have seen a lot damaged by neglect.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Same here, I clean 'em right then. I love sitting down with all my cleaning stuff, field stripping one and cleaning it up. It's just like foreplay. :cool:

"I guess I didn't read the manual throughly because I clean mine sig everytime I come back from the range"

I know right?? I got that info from their videos on cleaning/care from official sig website...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are talking about a full slide strip down and everything for the 1yr/5k rds deal. I could not imagine letting any of my firearms (well except possibly my AK-47, go more than a few hundred rounds between cleanings)

Oh, and the orange colored stuff deep in the slide grooves was sigs factory cosmoline stuff they put in the guns you typically remove first cleaning

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I will continue to abuse all of my guns cleaning them after every use and using hi quality solvents, oils and gease. I'm an abuser.LOL.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Glad you are pleased with your new Sig.
Yah, I'm pretty sure that 5,000 number is for detail stripping and cleaning.

As for field stripping and cleaning, I sometimes do that just for fun.

·
Banned
751 Posts

They're talking about a complete take down and disassembly of the pistol. Not just cleaning the slide, frame, barrel, and guide rod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe they were talking about detail stripping?
Possibly, but you can't take down their weapons very far without voiding your warranty

nitron's very durable, what did you clean it with, hoppe's?
Yeah, I used hoppes elite cleaner. The frame, insides, rails, etc, were all fine. just the parts that got on the outside of the slide rails faded- like a grey outline. But little oil went a long way on that.

Oh, and the orange colored stuff deep in the slide grooves was sigs factory cosmoline stuff they put in the guns you typically remove first cleaning
I have no idea what that is, but I only have it in on one lever, and brush couldn't get it out. Admittedly, I didn't try very hard to get it out, I'm still scared from my last debacle. I'll show my buddy who talked me into Sigs, he's got plenty of them, he should know.

They're talking about a complete take down and disassembly of the pistol. Not just cleaning the slide, frame, barrel, and guide rod.
Only other thing they dismantled was the clip... Looking at the FAQs i got it from, it says "How often should I service.." their answer is 1yr/5k rounds, but then go on to sell their services. The vids are from their preventative maintenance guides. I dunno, I just know that one day I will succeed in taking this gun down to bare metals.

Thanks for all the replies!

By the way, if I buy the short reset trigger and put it in myself(with knowledgeable help), will that void my warranty?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think what they actually meant was to send it to them for service after 1 yr/5000 rounds. Just read the FAQ on their site earlier today and saw that as well. They go on to mention this:

"Our custom shop offers a variety of service plans for both new and pre-owned pistols. Talk with one of our customer service group reps. today to help decide which service plan works best for you."

·
Registered
290 Posts
One of the things I love about shooting is coming home and dismantling my gun or guns and cleaning, lubing, and generally checking all of the components. The information you have sounds a bit crazy to me. Maybe it was a test of some sort to see how long you could go with out cleaning, I don't know. All I know is what I learned in the Army, you shoot, you clean simple as that. Have fun and be careful. Keep it clean, well lubed and it will last you forever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all! I'm starting a new thread to see if anyone else has had this drying out or fading issue with their nitron coating. As I still have this fading to grey issue.
New thread will be under ' Nitron Finish drying out/fading '

Thanks again, I think I'm going to be on this site so much my Mrs will think I'm having an affair.... ahh well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
LOL at 5000 rounds/1 year for a normal cleaning. Any weapon should be cleaned after firing. If the weapon was clean, fired just a few times, then perhaps just run a bore snake through it with a little Ballistol on it. Anything more than that, it should be field stripped and cleaned/lubed. It only takes a few minutes. You do not want powder residue to sit on carbon steel surfaces, especially in a humid environment. It is corrosive and should be removed as soon as possible after shooting.

After I clean my guns, I like to wipe them down with a soft rag that has been sprayed with some Ballistol. It removes fingerprints and puts down a very light coating of mineral oil (its main ingredient.) It should make your nitron finish happy too. It certainly does on my Glocks. I use Hoppes solvent too, also Slide Glide and Nano oil sometimes. However, you can totally clean your gun with just Ballistol if you want. It's all I use on the barrel. Just spray it all over the inside and outside, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe the outside off with some clean patches or a soft towel, and run a bore snake through a time or two that has a bit more Ballistol sprayed on the area just behind the brass brushes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.