SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm looking to buy a P226 Full-Size, I have some decisions to make. I’ve been reading a lot here on ST and noticed that some of you have written about issues with the durability of the Legion PVD finish. I find that to be believable but certainly distressing. I do like the look of a well worn gun but not one that's due to a defect of some sort... if that's the case. I have no personal experience with a Legion, so I don't know what that's all about. But, because of it, I am also looking at the Nitron P226 and the Elite Stainless P226. I am leaning towards the Legion, because of some very nice features, but would prefer to hear some of your pro’s and con’s on my list, and the skinny on the PVD finish before I proceed.

I am new to the Forum and still new to SIG also.

This will be my 2nd SIG, since adding a 9mm P320 earlier this year. Right now, I am looking to fill a gap with a “special” gift to myself, SIG in 40 S&W.

I was initially interested in the P226 LEGION SAO and moved onto the LEGION DA/SA after figuring out that the SAO is 9mm only. Too bad because I was very interested in the trigger. Coming from a 1911 platform, the SAO SIG LEGION’s Master Shop Super Match Flat Trigger was the deal maker for me, but learned that the Super Match fits the SAO only. So now I'm wondering about the P-SAIT trigger that comes installed on the 226 DA/SA.

If you will… please help with my "final arguments" on the Legion vs Nitro vs Elite Stainless P226.

Thanks to all.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Welcome to the site, and to Sig! I'm sure it is what will become a lifelong love affair. As to the PVD finish, there are some issues with it here and there, but I'm not sure to what depth. I had a P229 Legion and carried it daily for about three months. I had no issues with my finish during that time, and I wasn't particularly ginger with it. That said, some others on the forum have experienced some issues that do not look to be wear, but more of a chipping away in flakes, which indicates to me that it could be a problem with either the finish itself or the heating process. I don't know if it is a problem isolated to certain batches or a problem across the board.

That said, as it relates to performance, I do not think you will be disappointed. I suppose that if you do get a Legion that has faulty finish issues you can send it back to Sig for a factory refinish. I like the Legion line. They're good looking guns made for duty type use, not for show, and the upgrades do make a difference for me. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, but if it were me I would opt for the Legion.

Reactions: boris95 and sigsrok

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you will… please help with my "final arguments" on the Legion vs Nitro vs Elite Stainless P226.

Thanks to all.
I've had my P226 legion da/sa for over a year, got one of the first ones out. I have no problem with my finish. TBH, I think Sig misrepresented it while marketing by hyping it up so much so people had unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying that people are wrong, but at the end of the day it's a paint and not a metal treatment. I also think there was a problem with the first few batches in that the paint was a bit soft, but I believe Sig has gotten better at putting out finishes that don't chip as easily.
Like every other cerakote/duracoat, signs of wear start pretty early on the rails and friction points. You will get that from most finishes. Nitro will probably last just a bit longer but (from my experience...) will scratch easier. Stainless will scratch but you'll never have to worry about wear points because the color won't change. Also, if you plan to carry this firearm, the stainless will be heavier.

Bottom line:
It all depends on what you want out of your gun. No finish is going to be perfect after a while, they will all have blemishes, wear, and scratches if you are using it. It's a tool after all.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have the SAO for over a yr now, I don't really care for the finish all that much. When I got it it had a weird look to it until I baked in the frog lube and that took care of that.
I like the color because anything is better than black for me. I have too many black ones but I think the nitron finish is just better.
If I was buying a da/as 226 I would probably think hard about a mk and do a gray guns trigger short reset kit and some x ray sights and get some G10 grips. Those legion grips are amazing

That's just me.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I was a Legion 'hold-out' until P220L came along. My decision to buy this 45acp Legion was because I like the Grayguns trigger, the frame's milled details, the sights and G10 grips - and I had been looking for a full size P220 as a SIG suppressor hosts. I mean, SIG's over-hype marketing was annoying, and the finish a small worry.

Here's a thread with pics of the frame wear I'm seeing. Other Sig Talkers have posted pics of their Legion's finish wear too. We're hearing about holster rash with kydex holsters, otherwise it's frame rail wear in locations that aren't particularly worrying. Also, SIG has assured me that they will correct any wear that's more than cosmetic.

http://sigtalk.com/legion-series/189569-how-your-legion-s-finish-waring.html

Cheers

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have had my 229 Legion for a good while, but haven't shot it as of yet. However, it still looks good, ha.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure about the baked part but both mine soaked up a lot of oil when new...had a odd dry powder look before but now fine. Honestly their nitron is an awesome finish. I would go based on features more than finish. My decision was based on frame undercut, sights, grips and slightly smaller controls for less chance of snag. But I have standard p229s that I like too. To me nitron, pvd, and stainless are all good probably stainless, nitron then OCD in personal preference. Did have some issues with cerakote (twice) but could be fluke

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have heard many of the same issues with the PVD coating on the Legions. Picked-up my P226 9mm Legion SAO today, and it, with it's P226 9mm TACOPS and P938 Extreme brethren , will all receive Black Carbon Cerakote finishes. Call it preventative maintenance...

As it is, I'm extremely pleased in my Sigs- just wish their protection against the elements, wear and tear, were better... Hence, the future Cerakote finishes...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had my P226 legion da/sa for over a year, got one of the first ones out. I have no problem with my finish. TBH, I think Sig misrepresented it while marketing by hyping it up so much so people had unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying that people are wrong, but at the end of the day it's a paint and not a metal treatment. I also think there was a problem with the first few batches in that the paint was a bit soft, but I believe Sig has gotten better at putting out finishes that don't chip as easily.
Like every other cerakote/duracoat, signs of wear start pretty early on the rails and friction points. You will get that from most finishes. Nitro will probably last just a bit longer but (from my experience...) will scratch easier. Stainless will scratch but you'll never have to worry about wear points because the color won't change. Also, if you plan to carry this firearm, the stainless will be heavier.

Bottom line:
It all depends on what you want out of your gun. No finish is going to be perfect after a while, they will all have blemishes, wear, and scratches if you are using it. It's a tool after all.
If it's normal wear & tear, then I'm more than fine with it. A lot of gun finishes (blueing for example) take on a handsome patina over time with use and even holstering, and look great. Even stainless will pick up color and wear marks that show distinction of a well used gun. These are signs of use and handling with even with the best care and maintenance, and are expected and well deserved. Geez, even our idiot marks are OK... many have good stories behind them!

I also agree that we will see significant slide rail and the internal wear early on, as the gun breaks in, even more-so on well made guns do to tighter tolerances... perfectly natural as the metal-to-metal parts begin to mate, and that requires no complaint. That is something you hope to see, providing it is equally distributed.

What I get upset about is the photos I have seen of Legions with either blotchy or powdery areas or checking and peeling that, to my eye, are not signs of normal wear & tear but rather obvious indications of poorly applied or defective finishes.

This may be an issue on a small few due to a bad run that should have been caught at QC or cleaning chemicals that the manufacturer has tested and deemed unsafe and stated in the owners manual. But just calling any wear normal is an unfair assessment, whether it be factory or shooter at blame.

I was only hoping to find out if it is in fact a defect of the PVD finish, and if it's still occurring in newer production runs?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the site, and to Sig! I'm sure it is what will become a lifelong love affair. As to the PVD finish, there are some issues with it here and there, but I'm not sure to what depth. I had a P229 Legion and carried it daily for about three months. I had no issues with my finish during that time, and I wasn't particularly ginger with it. That said, some others on the forum have experienced some issues that do not look to be wear, but more of a chipping away in flakes, which indicates to me that it could be a problem with either the finish itself or the heating process. I don't know if it is a problem isolated to certain batches or a problem across the board.

That said, as it relates to performance, I do not think you will be disappointed. I suppose that if you do get a Legion that has faulty finish issues you can send it back to Sig for a factory refinish. I like the Legion line. They're good looking guns made for duty type use, not for show, and the upgrades do make a difference for me. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, but if it were me I would opt for the Legion.
GCBHM,
Thanks for your welcome and reply. The Legion design and upgrades are the reason for my interest also. Thanks for the vote of confidence in choosing a Legion.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it's normal wear & tear, then I'm more than fine with it. A lot of gun finishes (blueing for example) take on a handsome patina over time with use and even holstering, and look great. Even stainless will pick up color and wear marks that show distinction of a well used gun. These are signs of use and handling with even with the best care and maintenance, and are expected and well deserved. Geez, even our idiot marks are OK... many have good stories behind them!

I also agree that we will see significant slide rail and the internal wear early on, as the gun breaks in, even more-so on well made guns do to tighter tolerances... perfectly natural as the metal-to-metal parts begin to mate, and that requires no complaint. That is something you hope to see, providing it is equally distributed.

What I get upset about is the photos I have seen of Legions with either blotchy or powdery areas or checking and peeling that, to my eye, are not signs of normal wear & tear but rather obvious indications of poorly applied or defective finishes.

This may be an issue on a small few due to a bad run that should have been caught at QC or cleaning chemicals that the manufacturer has tested and deemed unsafe and stated in the owners manual. But just calling any wear normal is an unfair assessment, whether it be factory or shooter at blame.

I was only hoping to find out if it is in fact a defect of the PVD finish, and if it's still occurring in newer production runs?
Wear and tear, yes you will be fine. Mine has very little after a few thousand rds.

Chipping and blotch errors sig will take care of for you.

FWIW the Legion is the only semi auto I have not messed with. It was perfect right out of the box, ready to shoot.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Go ahead and get a Legion, the finish will be fine as long as you follow some simple rules.

1. Don't shoot any Med to high pressure ammo.
2. Don't get it wet.
3. Don't carry in a Kydex Holster
4. Don't carry in a leather Holster
5. Don't carry in a Nylon Holster
6. Don't let the gun touch anything.
7. wrap it lightly in silk or velvet and set it on a plush padded surface.

Failure to follow these rules will result in the finish falling off completely.
Otherwise, Enjoy your new Legion! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Also, SIG has assured me that they will correct any wear that's more than cosmetic.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I fully understand SIG's statement to you "that they will correct any wear that's more than cosmetic".
Isn't it always cosmetic? It's just the finish and I can't think of a way that it would effect function. Respectfully speaking... I think most of us are at least somewhat concerned that a degraded finish may turn a beautiful gun ugly is a cosmetic issue and that should not be treated lightly by the manufacturer if the fault is attributable to application process. Maybe I'm missing something?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.