SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a state forum I visit there's a guy wanting to sell a P227R .45acp. Price seems reasonable at $750 and I think he'll haggle. Gun looks like new, has night sights and comes with original box and 5 magazines.
I don't need it. I just really like the older all metal P2XX models. I already have a P220 and really like it. Is the P227 that much better?
I did a little research and saw one video where they took the grips off. It doesn't look like there are any screw bushings to install a aftermarket set of wood grips? So are the factory plastic the only grips it will use?
The catch is that while the seller is in my state, it'll be an all day (roughly 8 hour) round trip to go get it. While I wouldn't mind adding another all metal Sig to the stable, I'm just not sure I want one that much. :rolleyes:
Would it be worth it?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have a 227 Elite that I absolutely love. I replaced the factory E2’s with the g10 tacops grips that I found on eBay for $30. At the time, Osage had the 227 spring kit that includes bushings and screws. I think Sig has the kit but you have to call CS. Being a 1911 guy for 30 years I was surprised the 227 was as good as described. It’s not in the same class as my 77 GCNM but that’s not a fair comparison. The. Colt is a competition gun and the 227 is a combat weapon. Be aware that the 227 was offered in a carry version with a 3.9 inch barrel and standard was 4.4 inch barrel. Very good weapon, I’ll never part with mine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Let me just say the P227 is my favorite firearm. In winter months I EDC a P227 SAS. I have a P220 Elite and the P227 is shoulders above. In my opinion, it is a better shooter than the P220.

I changed my E2 grips out for a set of G10's and I needed the bushings. They came with the Hogue so there were no problems.

Let us know if you become a P227 owner. We would love to hear your experience.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have:
3x p220 full
1x p220 sas
1x p227 full
1x p227 sas
The biggest difference is the width of the grip
Both are great choices!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The P227R is in a real sense a P226 in 45ACP and it shares the same frame as the P227SAS but the SAS is not a shorter version it is a different version a P229 in 45ACP from a practical point of view

They are superb weapons
The $30.00 grips mentioned were long TACOPs with no screws or bases and had to be cut down for normal (10 round) magazines. Hogue make an excellent set of G10s that come with the bases and screws but are around $105.00 although IMO worth it over the E2 grips (which you can sell on here)
Place a WTB for a set here and you maybe able to safe 10-20 but they are never cheap
My P227SAS fits in my P228/M11A-1 holsters and is a wonderful pistol

·
Registered
275 Posts
You get an extra two rounds (flush fit) and better grip size for people with medium to large hands like mine.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If it has not been directly said, the 220 and 227 share a common slide. One will fit on the other without issue. It is in the frame that they differ.

I prefer the feel of the 220 but only because I grew up with 1911’s. I keep the 227 with a laser/light as the night stand weapon. I have one 14 round mag that is the backup mag. It would not occupy that place if I didn’t like it and believe in its reliability.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To the OP: Get the P227. It's an excellent firearm. You'll see that the P227 fills out your shooting hand alot more than the P220 because the mags are double-stacked compared to the P220. At $750, it is reasonable given today's crazy gun market, but make an offer of $700 and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
To the OP: Get the P227. It's an excellent firearm. You'll see that the P227 fills out your shooting hand alot more than the P220 because the mags are double-stacked compared to the P220. At $750, it is reasonable given today's crazy gun market, but make an offer of $700 and see what happens.
And it comes with 5 mags. The 3 extra mags are easily $75.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Three extra mags will be about $120 (sig branded) aftermarket, $150 direct from Sig. The used market is about 40 and up each.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seems like you've got quite the dilemma. I'd like to help you out. Tell you what: give me the seller's contact info and I'll see what I can do.

;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the input. I do really want this gun. But I have decided to pass. First off, i really don't have any practical use for it. Heck, I don't shoot my P220 very much. Plus, I'm getting on in years and 8 hours driving time wouldn't be a good thing for me. And then with my truck, the gas alone would likely be $100 or more.
The desire is there, but it just ain't practical. :(
Thanks anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts