SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a pretty full quota of Sigs, a bunch of Walther, decent representation of S&W plus BHP, CZ75, Colt 1911 9mm and even a Lionheart.

But something I ate (beer & brats with kraut on the side?) has me fixated on a acquiring a Luger. It's iconic. It's history in your hands. It's a piece of art in metal. It's expensive.

And I can't afford a "collectible."

I just want a decent shooter to sorta cap my collection (as an H&K P7 and Walther P88 are beyond the basic budget and don't have the panache of a Luger.) But I could go for up to $1200 for a decent shooter and I'm thinking a Mauser-made gun from the early 30's to the war is the best way to go

So, it would mean selling a couple of my less shot pistols and probably a couple of mil-surp rifles....and I'd like to hear some opinions for Luger owners...or folks who have decided not to buy one. I'm sorta on the fence.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just want a decent shooter to sorta cap my collection (as an H&K P7 and Walther P88 are beyond the basic budget and don't have the panache of a Luger.) But I could go for up to $1200 for a decent shooter and I'm thinking a Mauser-made gun from the early 30's to the war is the best way to go
FWIW ...I bought my last H&K P7 for $1100 (IIRC) Still in original box with manual and target.

I have been looking for a P08 Luger. At the same time I realize that I am not enough of an expert (yet) to make sure I am not buying a counterfeit. I want one that is numbers matching with Nazi proof marks and original holster. Would love to have one from SS.

Good luck in your search.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
So I've got a pretty full quota of Sigs, a bunch of Walther, decent representation of S&W plus BHP, CZ75, Colt 1911 9mm and even a Lionheart.

But something I ate (beer & brats with kraut on the side?) has me fixated on a acquiring a Luger. It's iconic. It's history in your hands. It's a piece of art in metal. It's expensive.

And I can't afford a "collectible."

So, it would mean selling a couple of my less shot pistols and probably a couple of mil-surp rifles....and I'd like to hear some opinions for Luger owners...or folks who have decided not to buy one. I'm sorta on the fence.
I was in your situation, many years ago. I had one close to 50 years ago, a "trophy" brought back by an uncle. Can't go into much detail, because I was a dumbxxx teenager, and let it get away. Around 2005, I acquired my second one in a trade. This was another veterans "War Trophy", but this one was from the Pacific theater. Best I can tell it was a Dutch model, no doubt liberated from the East Indies originally by the Japanese soldier, that it was liberated from. It has a 1913 Dated receiver, and a "Vickers Ltd" marked toggle link.
It's not even close to be "Matching Numbered", and I had to replace the trigger bar, and "fit" it, plus "make" a replacement front sight! As the barrel appears to be a replacement, and the dovetail would not fit a "replacement" front sight. I had to make it out of a replacement "Mauser" rifle "blank" to get the appropriate "dovetail". I can understand why there were "Masters" at working on Lugers, such as "John Martz".

The bottom line, is that they are a unique handgun, and are what you could call "hand built", as fitting is very individual... not "CNC" interchangeable parts. They are fun to shoot, and the "pointability" is just like being an extension of your index finger.

I don't know if this answers your question or not... if you can find a "safe shooter" at a reasonable price, go for it!!! The reason I say "safe shooter" was before I replaced the trigger bar, and carefully fitted it... it could "fire upon chambering" a round. Not a pleasant surprise to find out, at the range... thank goodness I did a function check well before heading to the range!

Good Luck with your decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I for one don't understand the Mystique around the WWII German Lugers. The Commercial ones from 1920 to 1939 are Amazing pieces of workmanship, almost a Semi Automatic Hammeril. But the WWII production have no value to me at all.
More important, this is an era where German manufacture of other weapons is more significant. Both bolt action and Semi Automatic weapons of that era are far more important pieces of the development of firearms then the Luger. The Walther and Mauser pistols have held up far better, and the descendants of those lines of design have had consistently more impact then the Toggle bolt ever did.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My grail guns are the WW1 Naval model, and a more recent 6" Naval copy. Forst as a collector, the second as a shooter. All I have now is an airsoft clone that isn't that great as a shooter, even at airsoft standards.

And a little Kancolle fun:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hello Redcoat, I've owned two Lugers. Neither collectable, both just shooters. IMHO Lugers from any era have a charisma and mystique about them. I can understand wanting to own one. The reality with the two I owned, a 1918 DWM, and much later in life, a 1938 Mauser, was frustrating unreliability. This, with magazines hard to load compared to most pistols I've owned,mushy triggers and a toggle action that was awkward to cycle for me. I once got almost a hundred rounds through the Mauser without a malfunction by use of a new Mec-Gar magazine and Federal American Eagle 124 grain RN ball ammo. Must have been a fluke, because afterwards it was back to the usual malfunctions again where I felt fortunate when I could go through a whole magazine without a malfunction. So, like many I'm still attracted to Lugers, but I'm not actively looking to acquire another. There are other European 9MMs I enjoy shooting much more than the Lugers, and those guns are both more accurate in my hands, and function with boring reliability. I don't miss the particular Lugers I owned.

BTW, Many Luger owners report excellent reliability with their Lugers. I do not doubt these reports. I believe a properly maintained Luger in good serviceable condition, with good magazines, and the ammo a Luger prefers, must be a fine, reliable pistol. I've just not had the good fortune to own one of those.....

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Talk me into (or out of) P08 Luger

Save your money. Unless you plan to get the full catastrophe, to include the shoulder stock and full holster for it all you still wind up missing "pieces" you'll want.

Trust me when I tell you it's an expensive safe queen just to say "I have one.".

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
Steve... Where's the "Snail Drum"?

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Funny, I thought the first question was going to be about the "full holster"...

I had a choice, I could sell both my motorcycles, or keep using stick mags...:p

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you're interested in a shooter P.08 you'll probably want to budget $1200-1500. If you're patient you can still find VOPO's (East German police) for $995+. This will get you an original pistol with a magazine. Buying one with non-matching numbers will keep the cost down.

I would recommend a military Mauser from the 1930s. They will be marked S.42, S42, or byf. Prices are good plus you've got thirty years worth of design and metallurgy improvements over the older guns. In this price range you might also find a DWM or Erfurt pistol from the Imperial era. Military pistols were the most common so those prices will be lower than commercial or police ones.

My P.08 has been very reliable and accurate with 124gr FMJ. Here's my 1936 Mauser :

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.