SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Sig P320 Rx full size. I played with the gun before I purchased it but I was so happy to find one that I didn't go beyond racking the slide, dropping a mag, normal eyeball inspection, etc. When I got home with the gun I went to break it down and clean up the factory goop and get it ready for the range. Much to my dismay, the take down lever was near impossible to turn. I've spent a couple of evenings messing with it and have it where it is operable but still stiff. The TDL works great if you remove the trigger module from the polymer and put the slide on it. It has to be binding somewhere within the polymer but I'll be hanged if I can find where.

I was curious if anyone else has had such an experience and if there were any suggestions some kind soul my care to lend? I love the gun and I have it working well enough but there is still a hitch somewhere. Thanks...

· Registered
97 Posts
Just brought mine home this afternoon; the Subcompact version. It can be a thumb-buster.

I laid the gun down on a rubber firearm counter mat and placed a cleaning towel over the lever. It gave a more firm grip. With both thumbs on top of one another, the lever moved fully forward.

After broken down to clean it up prior to firing I coated the internals with a light spray of Eezox and wiped excess away. I disassembled 3 times and the lever is easier each go round. Love the gun!

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the same deal to me. I took a very fine file to the cam groove on the TDL. I elongated and rounded the end of the groove that cams the lever that takes the gun out of battery. Instead of an "all at once" cam on the ramp, it's more gradual. That and some oil makes the lever work much better. There is still a minor friction when taking down the fully assembled 320. That friction is not present on the return path of the TDL. It's a weird problem. I'm out of ideas.

Sorry you are experiencing problems as well. I hope some clever dude comes to our rescue. The blood blister on my thumb is all but healed so I'm good one way or another. :)

· Registered
206 Posts
I have three complete P320s' and all of mine started out very, very stiff. As a matter of fact my newest RX still takes both thumbs. The newer flatter TDL that came out last year makes it even harder.

Shoot, disassemble, clean, oil, repeat. It will loosen up.

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have three complete P320s' and all of mine started out very, very stiff. As a matter of fact my newest RX still takes both thumbs. The newer flatter TDL that came out last year makes it even harder.

Shoot, disassemble, clean, oil, repeat. It will loosen up.
I like the flat TDL. It looks good and is certainly not in the way. I am glad to hear that mine wasn't the only one that's difficult to rotate. Mine, like I said, is getting much better. I smoothed up the groove which gives me just a bit more rotation prior to ramp contact. I rounded that just a bit as well which eased the cam action. I'm plenty happy... especially knowing there isn't something wrong with mine. Thanks for your response.

· Registered
303 Posts
Mine is a pain in the rear. When I do get it in, (TDL) the trigger may or may not work. And folks, I have no clue what is happening. So what I do is take it apart again, put back together and test trigger. I may have to do this several times. When it works there are no issues whatsoever, zip,nada, none. Fires perfect. Anyone else?

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can completely remove the trigger and firing assembly without a tool but you have to conquer the rotation of the take down lever first lol. Sorry... strikes me funny. I've owned many guns through the years and my 320's lever was by far the most difficult to rotate out of the box. I can manage it now without a protective rag cushion for my thumb but I still have the remains of two blood blisters as trophies of my earlier consquests. It seems a little more stiff than necessary by design. The more I read on these forums and elsewhere.. it's a pretty common problem to begin with. Everyone talks like it frees up over time so I'll quit being so concerned about mine.

Welcome to the fourm LRay. Thanks for sharing your TDL experience.

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mine is a pain in the rear. When I do get it in, (TDL) the trigger may or may not work. And folks, I have no clue what is happening. So what I do is take it apart again, put back together and test trigger. I may have to do this several times. When it works there are no issues whatsoever, zip,nada, none. Fires perfect. Anyone else?
Excuse my double post... I didn't see your response originally boris95. I only experienced the trigger problem one time. I found though the TDL was fully seated, it actually lacked just a tad of being fully inserted. Mine will easily fully seat only when the TDL is rotated clockwise and then push in just as the stop lug on it's back reaches the beginning of the rotation stop groove. It seems to snap right in at that position. I hope this works for you.

· Registered
262 Posts
I took the "O" ring off my 9mm Carry TLD and works much better now. LOL Seriously, once I put the slide back on it practically snaps up all by itself. Now you're wondering.... how about long term ....shooting. Works fine. Can't tell that the "O" ring is even off. Of course when you lock the slide and push it down, to the 35min mark, it stays put while you take the slide off. If you don't take out the TLD for taking the FCU out it "may" wiggle loose from the right side of the pistol. No matter. Just put the TLD back into the grip frame hole and in the down position and put the slide back on. Voila' !

No more fighting the TLD. IF you take it our, use a toothpick ... a kinder gentler way to remove it (for future re-insertion)

http://sigtalk.com/[url=https://[email protected]/]Vernon Jenewein[/url], on Flickr0212171358 by ,

Reactions: SigManFreud

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My problem is not the O ring on my 320. Breaking the gun down and removing the trigger module and reinserting the TDL into the polymer there is very little resistance in the rotation. It becomes difficult to rotate once it engages the ramp that actuates the firing pin stop. Once the stop is in the non battery position the TDL freely rotates as well. It's in the mechanics of moving that decocking lever when it's in the polymer that's the culprit on my gun. It works freely with the slide on the trigger module and the slide locked back.. but not installed in the polymer. It's like that arm is dragging on the inside of the polymer. I can find no evidence of a rub spot and it looks to have plenty of clearance so I'm perplexed.

As I said earlier, it's working much better now. It just bugs me that I can't figure out the problem. Thanks for your input.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, had the same problem with my wife's 320sc. Took the TDL out, gave it a good cleaning and lubed it with some Militec-1 grease. Works fine now. I'm sure any other good gun grease would work. The thing is--just liquid lubricant did not work, had to use some grease.

· Registered
8 Posts
I feel better after seeing this thread. I did the same thing, when I bought it, played with everything but the slide release. Got home to wipe it down before my first shoot and thought something was wrong when I couldn't rotate the lever. Finally was able to turn it after putting on a leather glove so I could really push it. Oiled it up real good, that helped a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it will loosen up over time, otherwise it's going to be a pain to clean.

Other than that, I love my 320RX. The red dot was no where close to being factory centered, contrary to what I see on the web site but I lined it up with the front site initially and was in the black for 8 of my first 10 shots. No complaints there!

· Registered
262 Posts
Avoid oil. Oil has a tendency to make rubber (the O ring) soft and pliable. That is why gaskets in autos remain more pliable in presence of oil. It will "grip" a bit more in a very short time.

Use Graphite, dry Moly lube or Hexagonal Boron bullet lube (also dry) and will give better lubrication than oil. Also try removing the "O" ring and try it that way for a while. Mine is out and works perfectly.

· Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel better after seeing this thread. I did the same thing, when I bought it, played with everything but the slide release. Got home to wipe it down before my first shoot and thought something was wrong when I couldn't rotate the lever. Finally was able to turn it after putting on a leather glove so I could really push it. Oiled it up real good, that helped a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it will loosen up over time, otherwise it's going to be a pain to clean.

Other than that, I love my 320RX. The red dot was no where close to being factory centered, contrary to what I see on the web site but I lined it up with the front site initially and was in the black for 8 of my first 10 shots. No complaints there!
Love mine too!! I even went to a gun shop and worked another P320 TDL though it wasn't a RX just to see what was up. It rotated fairly easy compared to mine. It did become more difficult to rotate at the exact spot mine was all but refusing to turn. After examining it closely I decided it's at the point where the decocker ramp cams back on the TDL. I worked that area over a bit and it was much easier to turn. It continues to improve the more I break down the gun.

My red dot was off as well. I was shooting low and to the left about three inches each. Up and right twice and I'm on the money. I'm loving the sight now. Last time out I found I wasn't even looking at the iron sights. It's cool that they co-witness but I'll likely never use them. At first I was trying to put the red dot on the target. I found it much easier for me to look at the target and bring the dot to where I want to hit. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get out and shoot some iron. I'm thinking that's where the red dot system will really excel... shooting multiple targets.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.