SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please dont take this to serious as im kinda just posting this for sh*** and giggles

But i always thought a light on a home defense gun could end up being a silly idea

I mean if your in a dark house with someone who wants to or at least is willing to hurt you and you flick on a gun light you can only see your intruder if he is directly infront of you .... meanwhile youve just lit yourself up like a christmas tree wearimg pajamas if he is standing relativly behind you he may have the opportunity to scramble your eggs with the crowbar he used to break into your house

Perhaps a better chocie would be to turn the lights on quickly enough

The clapper > tac light hahahah

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I always thought you should have the advantage in your own home in the dark. I agree that I do not want to instantly let them know exactly where I am.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Like any skill with a firearm you need proper training to use a light effectively. You don't just go walking around with it on giving away your position. Use your night vision and knowledge of your house to your advantage. If I have to clear my house I'm using a handheld and weapon mounted light. That gives me the greatest flexibility and I don't have to point my gun at something to identify it. At the end of the day though there have been countless people who have killed Intruders only to turn on the light and discover it was a loved one.

The rules of firearm safety aren't just for the range, identify your target.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Like any skill with a firearm you need proper training to use a light effectively. You don't just go walking around with it on giving away your position. Use your night vision and knowledge of your house to your advantage. If I have to clear my house I'm using a handheld and weapon mounted light. That gives me the greatest flexibility and I don't have to point my gun at something to identify it. At the end of the day though there have been countless people who have killed Intruders only to turn on the light and discover it was a loved one.

Amen to that. Just like practicing home fire drills, the family has a protocol for the house security alarm going off. We know from our bedroom MCU where the breach is so wife and I cover and clear to that area and kids shelter in place. My GL 22 has a light if we need one but not my first choice. All houses are different and does take practice. When blue lights show up, hide the rigs until everyone is properly introduced. I have used the TLR-1 behind the house and it is incredibly useful outdoors from my experience. Throws tons of light.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
At the end of the day though there have been countless people who have killed Intruders only to turn on the light and discover it was a loved one.

Actually, they are not countless. They do happen, of course, but by comparison are relatively rare:

How often are people mistaken as home invaders and accidentally shot?: It looks to be extremely rare - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

The reason I looked this up is that your statement, while made in the interest of safety on this forum, is one than the anti-gun folks sometimes use. And anything they use is automatically suspect.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Actually, they are not countless. They do happen, of course, but by comparison are relatively rare:
So are self defense shootings. Given the approximate 321+ million people in the US the odds of you ever using a gun to defend yourself in your lifetime are astronomical. But I still carry 24/7 and I don't play golf during a thunderstorm.

The reason I looked this up is that your statement, while made in the interest of safety on this forum, is one than the anti-gun folks sometimes use. And anything they use is automatically suspect.
The one I've always heard is "If you own a gun your XX% more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder.". Which is a very broad statement that include intentionally​ shooting a family member, accidentally/negligently shooting them, them shooting themselves, etc.

The ultimate point; we aren't talking gun control here, we're talking responsible firearm use. I don't care what the statistics say about how rare it may when each one is completely preventable by following the basic safety rules. Anyone who kills their loved one doesn't care about the odds either, their life is ruined.

Please don't take any offense, sometimes my impassion replies are taken personally and that's not my intent.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
There are techniques for using lights that place the advantage squarely in your corner if you know how to use them.

Low-light training is invaluable.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Yeah, there is a lot of those who think you're going to give your position away by using a WML, but then turn around and defend using a HHL...that's a cute scenario to say the least. No, when using ANY type of light there are things to consider, and it always goes back to what the individual feels most comfortable with, but when you use a light and you light someone up, you don't just stand there and hold the light on them, or even flash it quickly and stay put. Think "stick and move" like a boxer.

Like others have said, when being "tactical" the most important issue most tactically minded people get is training. You can't just buy a gun, put a light on it and then try to act like a tactical operator. You're going to get yourself killed! Believe it or not, there is actually a science to it, and if you don't take the time to learn it and train to sharpen your skills...you'll die. :lol:

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is an application for it and a technique.

One of the most valuable tools you can own and EDC though is a flashlight (not weapon mounted) but even a weapon mounted has its place.

Flick on so you can assess your target and background
Flick off and fire and/or move
flick on
flick off and fire

-Dan

·
Registered
744 Posts
Somewhat related

Does anyone make a tactical light with bright red lens/light?

I'd love to have a strong red light vs bright white.
Less "HEY LOOK AT ME" and the red won't ruin your vision at night.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Riddle me this as I am being a smart *** here-we are all worried about a WML giving away our position in the dark.....but yet how many people actually practice and train to move off the "X" when its broad daylight? One might think that your kinda showing your position too?

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Somewhat related

Does anyone make a tactical light with bright red lens/light?

I'd love to have a strong red light vs bright white.
Less "HEY LOOK AT ME" and the red won't ruin your vision at night.
Streamlight has them as accessories.
If you go to the link below for the TLR-1 and click on the Accessories link on the right, you'll find red, green, blue and IR filters for the lights.

TLR-1®

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
I've had low light training, carry a 350 Lumen small flashlight in my pants 7 days a week, 365 days a year and there's no way I'm going to use it in my own house.

All we have is me and Mrs. Flash. When things go bump in the night, I reach over with my foot and make sure where she is. We've worked out the way it's going to happen, including the ambush for the intruders with flashlights, because they don't know our house.

I can see a shape which is virtually identical to a silhouette target at the range, I know where Mrs. Flash is, I have night sights on all my SD guns and I will shoot without turning on a light.

And guess what? It's perfectly safe and much better for my health than turning on a light and letting the intruders know where I am.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I let my Tactical sheltie locate him before hitting him with my Tactical light...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts