SIG Talk banner

Survivalist Theory on Long Guns

2191 30
So, let me begin by stating that I am not a survivalist. I do like to have a moderate level of preparedness but I have not gone down the survivalist path.

That said, I have been on a bit of a quest in the last year to hone down all of the various guns and loading components I have. Trying to make due with the most interchangeable of items.

As such, with my preferred handguns I am good with my mix of .22, 9mm, 357 and 45's

I own three shotguns; KSG for home protection, 870 pump for hunting and a decent over and under.

I am not much of a long gun guy, so I have a Contender in 300 Blackout and 45 Win Mag, a Ruger 10/22 and a referbished SKS.

In a survivalist situation (mostly thinking non-combat) I would see myself keeping the 870, the 10/22 and the Contender. Living in Texas everything I have ever hunted has been under 100 yards and capable of being taken with these three guns.

My question is this; In your opinion is there a viable reason for anything beyond these? Would a light carbine be a better alternative to all three?

This is, of course, a very subjective question but one I have been thinking about of late and I know we all like to discuss this kinda stuff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Mrs. Flash and I are kind of half baked survivalists. We have enough food and water and medial supplies for around 7+ months and enough ammo and components to arm a small 3rd world country.

I tend to think of an AR for social work in the event people decide they're entitled to what I have. It's also good for Rodney King type events. It's highly unlikely it could happen where I live but you never know and I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In a hunter/gatherer type situation I imagine most of the small and large game in most areas would be gone within a couple of months.

There are exceptions, of course, like Alaska, Canada and a ton of really out in the boondocks places in the U.S.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
I think you're pretty smart to consider such things, and all things considered, I think the only change I would make would be the 10/22. I would consider an AR-15, simply on versatility alone, and ditch the 300blk as it is just not necessary with the AR, not to mention a lot more expensive and far more scarce. In a "survivalist" situation light and ready is the name of the game. Both 9mm and .223 ammo is going to allow for more capacity, it is lighter, therefore easier to carry, and both are the best GP rounds you can get, plush you're going to want to go with something that is most likely to be found everywhere, such as 9mm and .223, both of which are more than adequate for what you specified. The 870 is a wise choice, but frankly, if you have a solid AR, pistol and knife you should be set for most situations you'd ever encounter. I would want a solid AR-15, a reliable pistol, a machete and knife wrt the tools I would need for fighting/surviving.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
My question is this; In your opinion is there a viable reason for anything beyond these? Would a light carbine be a better alternative to all three?
If you ever end up in a prepper apocalypse, you'll need some standoff distance between yourself and other preppers :lol:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're pretty smart to consider such things, and all things considered, I think the only change I would make would be the 10/22. I would consider an AR-15, simply on versatility alone, and ditch the 300blk as it is just not necessary with the AR, not to mention a lot more expensive and far more scarce. In a "survivalist" situation light and ready is the name of the game. Both 9mm and .223 ammo is going to allow for more capacity, it is lighter, therefore easier to carry, and both are the best GP rounds you can get, plush you're going to want to go with something that is most likely to be found everywhere, such as 9mm and .223, both of which are more than adequate for what you specified. The 870 is a wise choice, but frankly, if you have a solid AR, pistol and knife you should be set for most situations you'd ever encounter. I would want a solid AR-15, a reliable pistol, a machete and knife wrt the tools I would need for fighting/surviving.
Thanks GCBHM, you are headed down the path that I was most thinking about. I am all about interchangeability. As such, I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm carbine or AR platform. Yes, I know a .223 might be a bit more versatile and definitely worth considering in this. The interchangeability between the pistol and long run of the 9mm is really attractive.

However, aside from personal protection I am not sure a 9mm platform for this would be useful. But I do have a ton of powder, brass and bullets for it.

Can a 9mm be viable?

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Thanks GCBHM, you are headed down the path that I was most thinking about. I am all about interchangeability. As such, I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm carbine or AR platform. Yes, I know a .223 might be a bit more versatile and definitely worth considering in this. The interchangeability between the pistol and long run of the 9mm is really attractive.

However, aside from personal protection I am not sure a 9mm platform for this would be useful. But I do have a ton of powder, brass and bullets for it.

Can a 9mm be viable?
Yw! It is something I think everyone should consider. As to the 9mm being a viable round, I would say yes and no. Viable as a secondary system/defense round, but not for distances beyond 25 yards, really. The .223 is a compromise for long distance shooting, but given the parameters you stipulated I would say it is sufficient for hunting and fighting, but you are limited to some extent. Perhaps a better do it all choice would be an AR10. The 7.62 is a great GP round, and it will reach out a little farther than a .223 will. It is going to be somewhat heavier, and you won't have the capacity of a AR15, but I think it may be a better GP weapon. WRT to interchangeability, I would scrap that idea altogether for this scenario. You really won't need it, and it will only weigh you down.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Can a 9mm be viable?
I am far from a survivalist, but I really like interchangeability of magazines and minimum of calibers. I have 2 10/22’s and I cannot think of any survival/defense situation where I would even consider bringing one along, and one of them is a super lightweight build. For me, they are for plinking. For a long gun, I chose a lightweight AR in 556/223. I have built 2 AR’s that are extremely light weight with nice optics. 556 ammo is adequately powerful, its small so magazine capacity is high and its inexpensive and very readily available.

You ask if a 9mm can be viable, for what? To me its more viable than .22lr in every sense. In a survival situation, I think you are significantly more likely to defend yourself against a human than an animal. And I feel that most handgun calibers are barely effective for defense against humans or animals so I chose capacity over caliber. Sure, your .357 is going to be better for stopping a bear or hog than a 9mm, but its still marginal at best. I would rather have a 9mm with 20 round magazines and an AR than a .357 mag with 6 shots and a .22lr for any situation.

As for the shotgun, in almost any defensive situation I would rather have my shotgun with a 10 round magazine than anything else but it's wildly impractical. While very versatile, its very long and heavy (especially when loaded) and impossible to conceal so its unlikely that I would ever have it one me. Also, the ammo is very bulky and heavy, so its hard to carry much ammo.

For me, I will stick to a 9mm on my hip and if I ever bug out, I’ll throw an AR with a handful of mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo in a small backpack.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have 2 10/22’s and I cannot think of any survival/defense situation where I would even consider bringing one along, and one of them is a super lightweight build.
I sure would, in most scenarios I would have others along to carry extra. I would want one for small game...for food. Fairly quiet and good for most anything small.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I totally agree that the 9mm is a nobrainer for a defensive handgun, and I agree that the 10/22 is very hard to beat.

The next step for me has been where I have struggled. It is easy to jump to the AR platform, and maybe best to do so. As such, I could keep the 7.62x39 that I have in the SKS or upgrade it to a bit better version. That would provide a cheap platform for target practice now and a viable platform for any possible issue. The main down side would be that it unless you keep a lot of it on hand, it may be hard to come by later on. But that may be the case for anything.

I even considered, because I have a **** ton of it brass and bullet wise is find a decent 45 Long Colt lever gun. That becomes very versatile in both a hunting and a defensive role but because of the age of it it gets overlooked. For me, being that I have a wheel gun that can shoot 45 ACP and 45 LC that too is viable. Maybe not as rapid but viable.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I am hoping in a survival situation, I will have access to ALL my weapons. BUT. One thing that I have learned is that the other survivors can/will immediately become your enemies. I have a Henry AR-7 rifle where the barrel and upper fit into the stock. The whole rifle will easily fit into a backback but is surprisingly accurate. I have a stock of subsonic ammo. In the above scenario I would use it for hunting small game where I did not want to make much noise. In a defensive situation, you either want to make noise or do not care. In a survival situation there is a good chance that you would not wish to draw much attention to either yourself or what you just killed.

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
I'm not a prepper so not immersed in all the current prepper thinking which I am sure is to have lots of guns and ammo which translates to expensive. You said non-combat so I guess you mean having a firearm with which to obtain food?

Some of the older gentlemen I know or have known that lived their lives in deep East Texas and hunted wild game as a supplemental food source, only owned one gun which was a single shot 12 gauge or some version of 12 gauge. In that part of the world it did all they needed it to do. Bird shot for birds and buckshot for everything else. Sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a prepper so not immersed in all the current prepper thinking which I am sure is to have lots of guns and ammo which translates to expensive. You said non-combat so I guess you mean having a firearm with which to obtain food?

Some of the older gentlemen I know or have known that lived their lives in deep East Texas and hunted wild game as a supplemental food source, only owned one gun which was a single shot 12 gauge or some version of 12 gauge. In that part of the world it did all they needed it to do. Bird shot for birds and buckshot for everything else. Sometimes less is more.
This is one reason that I feel like the 870 pump I have would almost be indispensable. I too grew up in small town Texas and a good shotgun can cover a lot of uses.

It only breaks down when you start talking about range and, if in a defensive situation, speed of fire, reload and overall capacity.

I see it much like I do the 10/22, great for hunting but not great for defensive situations. Scatter guns are great but they run dry fast.

I am probably overthinking this and trying to keep to something that is a possible good jack of all trades.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yes, hunting small game. Again I have several weapons. (2 I think.) But if I needed to bug out, I would be limited. For hunting small game, I would want to be as quiet as possible. .22 subsonic would do the trick and is so light I could carry a bunch of it. As some have quoted above, game may become scarce. I might need to hike for it. In addition I do not want anyone else around me to know I just bagged something. A supressor would help with that, but .22 subsonic is not very loud and the Henry is easily packable. Would not be my first choice for defense, but for dinner, it should do nicely. Again, I hope to have all (both. Joke--that is what I tell people, I own 2 guns) of my weapons but in few situations would that be possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I sure would, in most scenarios I would have others along to carry extra. I would want one for small game...for food. Fairly quiet and good for most anything small.
Very good point, also proving that I am not of the prepper mindset. I agree that for obtaining food, a .22lr is probably the most useful tool in that it will work on small game, it is very quiet and you could easily carry/store enough ammo to last a very long time. For that, a 10/22 sounds great as does the Henry AR7.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Very good point, also proving that I am not of the prepper mindset. I agree that for obtaining food, a .22lr is probably the most useful tool in that it will work on small game, it is very quiet and you could easily carry/store enough ammo to last a very long time. For that, a 10/22 sounds great as does the Henry AR7.

A man's gotta eat, lol.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,062 Posts
RBR, I think for bare basics, an over/under shotgun/rifle such as the old Savage 24, with a .22 long rifle barrel over a 20 gauge. One gun, 2 uses, a Shotgun for moving game animals, with a rifle for those dumb enough to sit! In a survival situation, sportsmanship has no sway. The 20 gauge has slugs, buckshot, and birdshot available covering most normal game animals.
For 2 legged predators, the previously mentioned AR would be beneficial a ,223/5.56 for urban areas, a .308/7.62 for rural areas. For a sidearm, depending on location, in an urban environment, I'd choose a 9mm like a P226/P228, in a rural environment, I think I'd choose a .357 Magnum revolver.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
For survivalist situations, a suppressed .22 rifle would be your best bet, as would a suppressed AR in 5.56x45mm for defensive purposes. The problem with suppressors is that they are currently NFA items. We are more likely to undergo a concerted effort to confiscate firearms and other "evil" accouterments than living in prepper mode. Those with registered NFA items will be the first to find their stuff gone when they come home, along with a nice thank-you note from the authorities - if they are not waiting to lock you up for failing to surrender them during the "amnesty".

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
Yes, hunting small game. Again I have several weapons. (2 I think.) But if I needed to bug out, I would be limited. For hunting small game, I would want to be as quiet as possible. .22 subsonic would do the trick and is so light I could carry a bunch of it. As some have quoted above, game may become scarce. I might need to hike for it. In addition I do not want anyone else around me to know I just bagged something. A supressor would help with that, but .22 subsonic is not very loud and the Henry is easily packable. Would not be my first choice for defense, but for dinner, it should do nicely. Again, I hope to have all (both. Joke--that is what I tell people, I own 2 guns) of my weapons but in few situations would that be possible.
This is going to sound crazy, and I am just talking about obtaining small game for food, but here in the thickets of East Texas I could get my self a meal a day with a 22 air rifle or air pistol. I know this because I have done it many times before. I actually still have my an air rifle and an air pistol from when I was a kid and both will get me rabbits, squirrels, doves, ducks etc. all day long. Ammo is cheap and the gun is quiet. Some of the air rifles they have today are running at 1,000 fps or more and can take down a hog if shot in the head. There are YouTube videos of guys doing that. So again not a defensive weapon by any stretch but an inexpensive quiet way to get a meal in a survival situation.

Reactions: ma6907 and stlmia

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is going to sound crazy, and I am just talking about obtaining small game for food, but here in the thickets of East Texas I could get my self a meal a day with a 22 air rifle or air pistol. I know this because I have done it many times before. I actually still have my an air rifle and an air pistol from when I was a kid and both will get me rabbits, squirrels, doves, ducks etc. all day long. Ammo is cheap and the gun is quiet. Some of the air rifles they have today are running at 1,000 fps or more and can take down a hog if shot in the head. There are YouTube videos of guys doing that. So again not a defensive weapon by any stretch but an inexpensive quite way to get a meal in a survival situation.
Not to derail the thread, but I am curious about this. I've been thinking about getting an air something for a while but haven't gotten around to it. Any rifle or pistol recommendations? Not really sure what to look for. Would you go so far as to say that it could replace a .22 LR?

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Think about what people had when they farmed, during 1800's. Pistol and a rifle.. Maybe if you have a rifle that carrys the same round as the pistol? Cheap, cost effective?
Will anyone really be ready for an all out survival if things change for the worst?
I have a plan, and it wont be pretty, especially if family is killed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.