SIG Talk banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
872 Posts
I have the Gerber Engineer 600 series from a fur piece back..
I really like them...
got leatherman too... not so much...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Carried a leatherman for many years but realized I was hardly ever using it and if I did every tool, aside for maybe the knife was subpar for the task.
That's the issue - even the best have to compromise the design to pack all those different tools into one design and make it small enough to carry in a pouch or pocket. I've carried on off and on since Gerber came out with theirs, ran thru others, and have kept very few - Swiss Supertool, Gerber Dime, a Leatherman or two, don't carry them much now. Fine for work, or away from home, here, I have a basement of better suited full sized tools and it's causing the multitools to sit.

Same in the truck, small tool box outvotes the inexpensive Hart in the door pocket. I guess you could say it's going thru a long term neglect and corrosion test.

I have had a multitool bail me out in a pinch now and again, no doubt if its all you have then it can be helpful. When I have no tools, I make sure I have a multitool. I have learned they are better than nothing.

And BTW - I never loan them. Ever. Last job I had was auto parts at least, people would constantly as to borrow my knife or multitool and there is no guarantee they would come back with it, or in the same shape. I've been asked for a pocketknife to adjust a carburetor - gave them a screwdriver - to cut open a package - gave them scissors - to repair their car - gave them the name of a mechanic. People without tools are the ones who use them wrong, break them, don't return them and don't have the self discipline to keep track of the one they should have of their own.

Well, except the wife - but thats ackshually not a problem . . .

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
979 Posts
I have a multi-tool in each of my range bags. I don't carry a knife as a rule. If I let a threat get close enough to make me use or need a knife, I've made bad choices.
For me the Gerber fills more of a utility role. Same with my SAK Tinker. I attribute my multi tool to Les Stroud as he demonstrated so many uses in his 'Survivorman' shows. That always stuck with me and I've found a lot of use for those two tools, particularly the SAK Tinker which has been my EDC for about 28 years. Simply a very nice, hard use and durable knife. The Gerbers I've had for 4-5 years.

For a defensive role I carry either my Spyderco SS Endura or more likely my Hawkbill Crossbill. In addition to a defensive role, either of those knives would fill a 'rescue' mode i.e. cutting seat belts and such. I learned this early in life when I was the first on the scene of a very bad vehicle accident with two fatalities (this was when I was in the Military and home on leave). There was nothing I could have done but it did make me consider I should have something available for such circumstances.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I have been carrying a Leatherman of some sort for as long as I can remember. Currently carry a Wave +. I also carry a dedicated knife, a Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight. Both get used for something or other daily.
Jeans Textile Sleeve Denim Material property
Wood Tool Nipper Hardwood Rim

·
Registered
399 Posts
I truly believe that the Leather Man Wave is the best tool ever invented by man. I use mine literally every single day at least once. Some interesting observations are that the hollow ground flat tip blade fits Sig grips perfectly. The Phillips head works with every holster I've ever run across. The scissors are great for quick trimming of the beard or mustache. The diamond file is perfect for your nails or to sharpen up somebody's knife quickly or fish hooks. The jeweler's flat and phillips are used for and borrowed frequently for glasses or small battery compartments wether on toys or other people's forearm optics. The small flat head fits perfectly into Smith & Wesson sights. The can opener also works as a perfect box cutter. The saw blade will cut down a branch in your tree stand or other brush that's in the way quickly and efficiently and have used for a 2x4 out on the property in a pinch. The serrated blade is awesome last long time sharpens easily. Rips through a chest cavity separating ribs and a pelvis like butter (edit for game lol). The straight blade flips open quickly out of your pocket like any good defensive knife should. I have stripped wires and reconnected electronics out in the field or on the trail. It really is a marvel of engineering and would be my recommendation to anybody as a perfect gentleman's gift.

·
Super Moderator - 🎖USN Veteran
589 Posts
Victorinox pocket knife every day...used mostly for cutting...don't leave home without it.

Leatherman Wave for a loooong time....every day during the summer for boating.

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
122 Posts
You know, I carry a folder the vast majority of the time. Sometimes a fixed blade. I look at the Leatherman Wave all the time and wonder why I don’t carry it more lol. Maybe it’s the size/weight? Not sure. I hope that’s not it haha.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have to admit I find a lot of the what do you carry/what you should carry amusing. I think the the thing I find funniest is the "I don't carry such and such because it is too heavy, but I think this is a must have because I like it and your dumb for saying it is too heavy." Kinda like the discussion about military side arms. 9mm plastic that holds 20 rounds is nowhere as good as the old 1911 with 8 rounds.

That said it is also interesting. I feel smart people will carry what works for them and let others have their own ideas without any belittling. We all have different needs and generally face different things in daily life.
One thing that has been mentioned a few times in this thread is "I have a full set of tools in/at...". I have no idea what is a full set of tools. I am a professional auto mechanic that has expanded and crammed my toolbox at work to the limit. I wound up buying a second one to put next to it to try and help contain the tools I have and keep adding. Granted they are not big(to me) boxes, but I don't have a lot of space. I don't consider my tool set anywhere near complete.

Ok bashing is done. Now it is your turn to bash me and say how foolish I am for what I carry on my person daily. I might come back with a photo sometime so you can appreciate my silly load.
Right hip pocket has car key with keyring light, change, CRKT ignitor knife.
Right rear pocket has wallet.
Left rear pocket usually empty but is often used as temporary storage for phone.
Left front pocket has lighter(and I don't smoke, but it a useful tool), fingernail clippers, lip balm, Streamlight Wedge flashlight. Left thigh pocket holds 2 P239 magazines in .40 Cal and a P238 extended mag.
Belt has Leatherman Wave with bit kit, extension, and ratchet accessories in a small sheath at 4 o'clock. Sig P239 in 40 at 5 o'clock. Streamlight Stinger LED is hung at 8 o'clock.
Left ankle has my P238.
Shirt pocket has 2 pens, pocket screwdriver, telescoping magnet on a stick, pocket prybar and until recently, a CRKT CEO.

See? Told you my load is comic.

On the subject of the multitool, like it was noted in an earlier post, it is not intended as a primary tool, but for many small jobs works well enough that it is not necessary to stop crawl out of where you are and go find the 'proper' tool from the toolbox then go back in to where you needed a tool. I find the pliers work great for pulling fuses from a fuse box, real needle nose pliers don't do the job any better. That is just one little example of daily use my wave gets.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
A Swiss Army Alox Farmer or Pioneer is the multi-tool that is usually in my pocket. A Rebar or Wingman in my EDC pack, and a Supertool 300 in my truck. I'm rarely far from one or the other.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts