SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The lack of a multi-tool, not being able to respond immediately to any mechanical malady that befalls you, in MacGyver like fashion, is why you've always had hard luck. Come on man, get with the program!

Disclaimer: Let me apologize in advance, the above was incredibly mean of me to say and I deeply regret it. However, that is not nearly enough to keep me from hitting the post reply button!

Not like I care at all about your option but at 65 years of age I have yet to find a need for a multi tool as I have yet to find any mechanical malady that might befall me So guess my lucks really very good .

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I worked in video engineering and lighting, between events I didn't carry a multi-tool as I pretty much knew what tools I needed. I also staged certain tools in strategic places, like a lighting wrench on the catwalk and a BNC tool behind the rack. During an event I carried a Leatherman because you never knew the what, when, or where something would fall apart. Did you know the pedals can fall off a Steinway, during a performance?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
The Leatherman and other multi-tools were never meant to replace your tool kit or your box of tools. Just like a fire extinguisher isn't meant to replace a fire truck. It's just a handy little set of tools to have with you when the unexpected fix is needed. I've carried and used mine many times when bow hunting and bank fishing, when having a tool box or even my tackle box just didn't make sense. And walking a couple of hundred yards back to my truck just to tighten up a reel handle or pin sight is a real pain. A good Leatherman is one of those things you didn't know you wanted until you wish you had one.

·
🎖USN Veteran
201 Posts
I carry one with me in my bag every day. A Leatherman Skeletool. This is more or less my EDC these days except I have added a more traditional Swiss Army Knife that I carry in my pants pocket in addition to all this stuff in my shoulder bag I lug around

Reactions: hauki and PaulWVa

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here when it comes to edc. I carry a Leatherman Wave vs a knife. The multi tool is admittedly heavier than most folding knives but they do provide a couple of blades as well as a large assortment of really beneficial tools. I can’t count the times that wave has saved me from leaving a work site to get a needed tool I didn’t have for an unexpected problem. I know the blades are small, but I have field dressed a deer with one when I forgot my knife. Just an observation.
I know right!? I have a Gerber my wife got me with my name on it and it has everything you need when you're out (excluding my Sigarms P226 357sig) I also have a really nice Smith & Wesson multi-tool and both have very sturdy sheaths. I've carried both for years! And yes the knives are razor sharp! I wouldn't hesitate to field dress a deer with either!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here when it comes to edc. I carry a Leatherman Wave vs a knife. The multi tool is admittedly heavier than most folding knives but they do provide a couple of blades as well as a large assortment of really beneficial tools. I can’t count the times that wave has saved me from leaving a work site to get a needed tool I didn’t have for an unexpected problem. I know the blades are small, but I have field dressed a deer with one when I forgot my knife. Just an observation.
I also have been carrying a Leatherman Titanium Charge now but have always EDC a Leatherman in one model or another. I'm 75.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First a Leatherman, then the Gerber multiplier for about 25-30 years. Now I just carry a knife all the time. When I go out, a bigger knife, when at home a little one. Usual loadout when out and about, gun, extra ammo, knife, flashlight, keys, wallet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I’m going someplace where a multi tool would come in handy( range, tactical class, skiing, biking, etc), I carry one. Still will carry a knife most times with it as well. Additionally, I have various types, sizes, etc of multi tools in/on glovebox, gun belt, bike repair kit, ski bag, “get home bag”, etc. MT’s are just like any other tool… “one is none, two is one”.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ten years ago multitools were all the rage. I worked thru half a dozen, at least, then discovered two unsettling issues.

First, they are usually heavy, compared to a clipped pocketknife, and most compromise the blade. As I used the tool, I also discovered that including "everything" meant none of them were optimal designs - a "real" pair of pliers or wirecutters or screwdrivers or whatever always worked better.

Second, I usually have real working tools at hand, toolbox in the truck or take it on vacation, tool box in the house, etc. I wound down to just carrying a Gerber Dime to have the clamshell opener. It worked even tho the other tools were much smaller and almost useless. Pliers are the big disappointment, if they are big enough, they are heavy, smaller, they don't grip, if compound pliers with a lot of mechanical advantage, the handles spread too far apart to work on any nuts or bolts of consequence. LIke, lug nuts. Even battery clamp nuts are problematic, and then you discover that needle nose don't work well there. You need conventional short nose pliers for more grip, and then they round off too much. I only use dedicated battery pliers "from the day" as those proved their worth to me in the 70's on jump start calls in a wrecker.

I might take a tool on a trip or something however I've only used it because it was in the room and the tool box was in the trunk and a trip to get. Having lived thru all the marketing on multitools in the day, and in the service, no, they aren't all that. The speciality demo and gun service tools would have been nice, they came too late for me.

What replaced the multitool was the multilight. If you can't see it how are you going to work on it in the dead of night? Trying to read small print on tiny auto parts boxes in poorly lit warehouse shelving, or looking around on the rug for that tiny whatever that leaped to the floor after refusing to stay in your hand? That became more important, and still is. And fearful feminine coworkers thought lights were much less dangerous than a large tacticool 3.5" multitool, regardless they carried a 7" kitchen knife to cut cakes in the break room. That hypocrisy was going on in the 90's already.

I mostly carry a SIG, Streamlight, and pocketknife, because cutting cakes with the SIG is messy.

·
Super Moderator
P365X/P365XL
1,088 Posts
I have a couple of Gerber Suspension multi tools that I quite like. I like the blades which include scissors, serrated, straight blade and saw as well as some screwdrivers. I also like that it locks the blades in place.

·
🎖USA Veteran
6,698 Posts
I have a couple of Gerber Suspension multi tools that I quite like. I like the blades which include scissors, serrated, straight blade and saw as well as some screwdrivers. I also like that it locks the blades in place.
I have a multi-tool in each of my range bags. I don't carry a knife as a rule. If I let a threat get close enough to make me use or need a knife, I've made bad choices.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts