SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've decided to put RDS' on my p320s. Historically on my Glocks I've put AmeriGlo plain black suppressor height sights (Tall Suppressor Set GL-429).

As AmeriGlo doesn't make those for SIG I'm wondering what you've found in terms of good, out-of-the-way suppressor height sights.

For reference, I'll be putting RMRs on them (milled slides) so they don't need to be extra tall to compensate for plates, etc. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

~B

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tried to find this picture earlier but I've been traveling. So yeah, this is the SG-181, expensive because night sights but guaranteed lower 1/3 co witness. Also, these had the green rings around the tritium vials but I blacked them out with black paint and the pointy end of a dental "flossing sword"

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Romero 1 Pro with Night Fision Perfect Dot Suppressor Height Night Sight Set, Square Rear, Sig Sauer.

SKU: 32J-AP-SRSSRHN-SIG-179-003-WGWG

I only installed the front sight and can co-witness with it and the Romeo 1 Pro.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’ve had good luck with the Suarez International co-witness sights that are available in plain all black (which I personally prefer to avoid distraction from the RDS) and they 1/3 lower co-witness with RMR/Holosun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
What size front? #6 or #8?

Romero 1 Pro with Night Fision Perfect Dot Suppressor Height Night Sight Set, Square Rear, Sig Sauer.

SKU: 32J-AP-SRSSRHN-SIG-179-003-WGWG

I only installed the front sight and can co-witness with it and the Romeo 1 Pro.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, guess I selected Front Only.

Hard to see in your picture. Is your Red Dot above site or covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That kind of depends on how I move my head and which I has more dominance.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
So, what the importance of co-witnessing your irons and red dot?

I don’t worry about co-witnessing because I zero and use them I dependently of each other just like it’s supposed to. Only Tactical timmies adhere to that co-witness philosophy when there’s really no need for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd only use the iron sights when the red dot was not functioning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's not something I do. There have been many discussions on this topic. Use your favorite search engine to read more reasons for and against it.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, what the importance of co-witnessing your irons and red dot?
That depends on your definition of co-witnessing. I'm not interested in the dot lining up precisely with the irons - I'm only interested in being able to see the sights with the RDS installed. I want usable sights should the dot go down.

~B

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes... I believe the "co-witness" definition is VERY important in deciding how to set up a "red dot" pistol.

Many people use the term to simply mean having both irons and a "red dot" available on a weapon. But actually, the term means that when iron sights are aligned with the target, the "red dot" will be sitting directly at the top of the from sight. I've also seen people use the term for this alignment as "100% co-witness."

Now there are those who DO WANT that sight picture, and with very good reason. When presenting the pistol, you only have to practice ONE and ONLY ONE presentation, so you are completely prepared for red dot failure. If the red dot fails, the iron sights are right on target, as a result of good practice.

Others want the iron sights to be on target below (usually about 1/3 down) in the red dot window, which technically IS NOT co-witnessing. This is also based on sound reasoning, in that the iron sights are not interfering with the red dot sight picture, more specifically BLOCKING the area slightly below the target. Now it can be argued that using this "non co-witness" setup would require more training. With a well trained "red dot" presentation, the iron sights should be visible and required a slight adjustment to pistol position to bring them up to the target if the "red dot" has failed. How much time is lost repositioning the pistol?

So the "which setup do I choose" is of course a matter of choice, heavily influenced by whether you are talking about a "self defense" weapon or a "competition/hobby" weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
That depends on your definition of co-witnessing. I'm not interested in the dot lining up precisely with the dot - I'm only interested in being able to see the sights with the RDS installed. I want usable sights should the dot go down.

~B
So that’s not co-witnessing. You can always position the dot anywhere in the glass so you won’t have an unobstructed view of the iron sights. Besides, shooting with iron requires front sight focus (clear iron, bit blurry target) while shooting with a dot requires target focus wherein you look at the target and just superimpose the dot over it.

If you look at the questions wherein shooters are having a hard time with the dot, they are trying to line up the iron sights with the dot before firing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts