SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Suppressor Height Or Not

8K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  cremaley 
#1 ·
I added the Romeo 1 Pro to my P320 X-Compact and was wondering if its worth spending the money to get a set of the Sig X-Ray 3 suppressor height sights when I can only replace the front sight. As you know you cannot add the rear suppressor sight to the non RXP X-Compact but since the Romeo 1 Pro has rear sight cut you can co-witness with part of the stock sight but the suppressor height would be much better. The question is it worth spending nearly $100 and only being able to use the front sight and more importantly is it really necessary? Your thought would be greatly appreciated..

Reactions: Shevchenko
#3 ·
Cremaley, I'm not sure that suppressor height sights would be better, isn't the Romeo1 Pro set up to co witness with the standard X-ray front sight? When you were zeroing your Romeo, didn't your current sight set up co-witness so your poi was the same. If so, and you replace the standard front sight with a suppressor height front sight, the poi will certainly change - I believe the impact will be lower. I'm not an expert, but I think you did the right thing by shooting out the question before spending the money. It's interesting and I'll be glad to hear what others advise you.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes the Romeo 1 Pro is set up to co-witness with the standard X-Ray front sight. I was just wondering if a suppressor height front sight would offer any benefits since it is taller. The problem with me is I'm always trying to make improvements to my handguns and in some cases its not necessary. This may be one of them.

#8 ·
I have been considering putting Sig X-Ray extra height sights on my AXG and/or X-Carry Pro. I run a Leupold DPP on both. I wouldn’t try to dial in the “dot” and sights together. The iron sights would be their own entity, as a back up. I have pretty consistently read that “dots” that top load a battery are taller and don’t easily co-witnesses with even tall sights. I have seen this on a few pistols. All of my red dots are “top loaders”. The exceptions where tall iron sights co-witnesses are my Kimber Aegis Elite and FN 509 Tactical. No problem with them. I suppose in time I’ll experiment with one of my P320 pistols.

#11 ·
The standard X-ray front sight with the Romeo notch will have a high POI, like 3" at 15 yds or so if I remember.

I called Sig and bought an X-Five Fiber optic front sight from them for like $12 and got free shipping. It's the perfect height to give a proper POI using the Romeo notch. If you want tritium, Dawson sells a front sight in a variety of heights.

I don't know how tall the X-ray suppressor front sight is, but it's likely too tall and would give a low POI.

#22 ·
So far I have only shot 50 rounds using a red dot sight. I definitely think there is room for improvement and will strive to do so. I understand there may come a point where further improvement is like chasing rainbows but I'm definitely not there yet.

Reactions: Devereaux
#23 ·
So I put another 50 rounds down range today and with the exception of a couple of flyers everything else was pretty spot on. It's easy to see why people are moving to red dot sights. Target again set and 7 and then 10 yards shooting Federal American Eagle 124 grain 9mm ammo. Don't think I'm going to bother with the suppressor height front sight. Not having any issues picking up the red dot.

World Astronomical object Font Circle Terrestrial plant

Reactions: Devereaux
#36 ·
Absolute co-witness is just a distraction on a red dot equipped pistol IMO. Use target focus every time and you won’t even notice the front sight at all.

A lot of people that are just getting into red dots still line it up with the irons and takes them longer to fire the first shot.

As stated in a post above, just look at the target and superimposed the red dot on it and fire away. Absolute co-witness are for tactical timmies only. Dry fire a lot to establish your index so the dot will be on the target each time and every time you draw and point. Doing this will become muscle memory.

Try this test after you have been dry firing and have established your index. Close your eyes and draw to a target. You’ll be surprised to see your red dot superimposed and right on target. I removed the front sights of my red dot equipped hand guns and rifles and just shoot using my index.

#39 ·
I think I figured out why the front sight is not a bother to me when acquiring the red dot. In order for me to see the front sight clearly I need corrective lenses. When shooting the red dot since I am focused on the target and not the front sight I don't need corrective lenses because my distance vision is 20/20. That's one of the major reason I decided to switch from iron sights or red dot.

Reactions: Shevchenko
#40 ·
For what it's worth, I just ordered these to go with my Swampfox Kingslayer rmr for my 320 x compact, i like how the same set up looks and works on my buddy's, I also really like the Suppressor height sights that came on my 229 legion rxp for cowitnessing with the romeo pro 1

#41 ·
Some of the comments above are confusing to me. I mounted a Romero Zero on my 365XL and the back sight on the Romeo was very close to being lined up with the original front sight with no modification. It is very low in the Romeo window, but still visible, and usable if the red dot for some reason didn't come on. That is the purpose for a "cowitnessing" sight. I totally agree that if your are trying to line up the iron sights with the dot when shooting it totally destroys all of the advantages of the red dot system. On the other hand, it you replace just the front sight with a suppressor height sight, then when you, if you ever have to, try to shoot with the original rear sight and a higher front sight the gun is going to shoot way low. If you want suppressor height sights, usually to be able to see the over a suppresoor, you need to replace both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.