SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Suggestions for a handgun safe?

1K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  VA GS 
#1 ·
for 10-12 handguns. not much available at the local lgs's. no real requirements except not being too big. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I had to buy a new safe in the past six months. I gotta tell you; there's not a lot available at this time. Have you tried some home improvement stores? They tend to have smaller safes available. I would suggest Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and Costco, to name a few.

I have a smaller Sentry safe that would work well for a dozen handguns; you may be able to pick something like this up at an office supply or from Amazon. Here's one idea; there are lots of others out there.

Remember, it will be relatively easy to pick up and carry away with a smaller safe. You will want to make provisions to secure the safe to make this more difficult. There is no perfect safe; it's merely a means to slow the bad guys down.

#3 ·
I’ve seen small (non rifle height) safes at harbor freight, TSC, etc. Quality and customer service would be a question one would have to consider.
I had a issue w/ my Liberty safe unlocking some years ago. After contacting them, had it open in a few minutes and the defective part rplcmnt was received in a few days. They just sent me new seals as the old ones had shrunk, free of charge. Methinks their product has stood the test of time.

#4 ·
12 is kinda a lot. I don't think I've seen a designated pistol safe with room for more than 6 handguns, and even that's uncommon. I'd probably just up to a single or double rifle safe if that's not too big. If it is, maybe ballpark some measurements and try to come up with a volume requirement, and then drop the term "gun" from your google search. You might have more luck just looking at safes generally, and there's really no difference between a quality "normal" safe and a quality "gun" safe.

#7 ·
Our local lockshop sells safes, and carries a large selection. They are also gunnies, and very cooperative on the subject.
These are mechanical safe guys, and are skeptical about their ability for repairs on the electronic variety. That may or may not be a widespread problem.
For the OP, how do you store your handguns? Rugs work for me, especially since I use a golden rod type dehumidifier. And they take up far less space than factory boxes.
Moon

#8 ·
Since you are looking for something to hold 10-12 handguns, I'm under the impression you are mainly looking for something more for security and to keep your handguns from being stolen rather than something to keep children and others out. If that is the case, YouTube can provide you with many videos showing how quickly the aforementioned safes can be compromised and opened.

Obviously, a safe not secured to flooring can be carried out if small enough or can be tipped onto its back so as to allow more leverage for a pry attack. I have no idea what your budget is, but from what I have experienced and what I have seen others experience, once a safe was bought, it quickly filled up. Thus, buy a quality built safe as large as you can afford.

When comparing similar safes of the same size, the heavier safe generally has more or thicker steel in its construction. Thicker steel or more layers is better. I have owned Ft Knox safes for decades and I am buying yet another one today. In your situation, if it is in your budget, you may want to look at their Maverick series safes....... https://www.ftknox.com/vaults/maverick-vault/

Again, watch the YouTube videos to learn how easily many safes can be broken into. Lastly, security is like an onion.....meaning you should have various security layers.

Any safe, given time and proper tools, can be compromised. Thus, it is prudent to have some type of alarm system that is monitored so that when it goes off with an audible siren, the intruder realizes they will not have time even if they find the safe. Though a small safe can be carried away if not secured to the floor. Having video cameras like Ring is a good idea as well as they alert you and again can be used to reduce the time the intruder is in your house.

Good luck.....

#9 ·
Lock Picking Lawyer

Opened with a coat hanger :sick:

#13 · (Edited)
I have a 3 of these under our king size bed for handguns & miscellaneous items that adds a bunch of storage space, takes pressure off the stand up safes, & is a great use of unused space for me. I have them bolted to the floor, cabled together, & they just fit under the bed frame. Easy to access even when in bed & while possibly not the most heavy duty/secure safe it would be very awkward to try & pry off the floor as I don't have a lot of space on either side of the bed to work a pry bar & they would at least slow somebody in hurry down enough to discourage them & they'll take the easy pickings, like guitars I have hanging on the walls & scram.
I got one at Midway & the last one I got was from Amazon for a bit less than the link & they do come in three different sizes.

#16 ·
Not to derail the thread (although the SnapSafe could definitely hold 12 handguns), but how do you like it? I read several reviews that said you could open it just by turning the handle forcefully. It seems to have the best slide out design of anything I can find but the concerns over access have me hesitant.

That said, I would be using it as a deterrent not as “secure” storage — but I’d like it to be more challenging than turning the dial hard!

Reactions: Cragar67
#14 ·
@Cragar67, another security layer in addition to what I already mentioned above that you might want to consider when buying a new small safe that could be an easier target of theft, is to investigate buying a cheap safe from Craigslist or at a swap meet that you can fill with heavy bricks and keep it out in the open to use as a decoy. For many, perception is reality. Thus, the smash and grab intruder's time is focused on the decoy........

#15 ·
suggestions for a handgun gun safe?

Easy...

Keep it full!

#17 ·
Got mine at Home Depot.

Reactions: Cragar67
#18 ·
Not sure if you have Academy where you are but this is a nice set up. I know you only want
to store 12 handguns but trust me that extra room comes in handy. I bought mine for a few
long guns and pistols, now there's all sorts of stuff in there. Need a bigger safe :( :rolleyes:

#25 · (Edited)
An executive size safe will handle that many pistols. Get the best one you can afford. As stated above: ducked off in a closet or elsewhere and bolted down is the way to go. They also make good nightstands. Remember to keep the humidity down in there. For small safes like this I like the little evadry dehumidifiers that plug in the wall or just packs of silica beads.

Edit: Last time I purchased one of those executive safes (maybe ~8 years ago) they were like $300. At the time I picked it up because I needed one specifically that size. I just looked them up and at the prices they are going for now, it seems much more cost effective to just get a full size safe - assuming moving it/physical space for it isn't an issue.

If you can find a locksmith store near you check them out. The ones near me seem to have the good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.