SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original host 9mm was a glock and the load I came up with using 124gr bullets functioned perfectly. Unloaded the glock and picked up a 226. Not surprisingly the subsonics wouldnt cycle the slide on the 226. Got the wolf reduced power spring set...the 11lb works the best but still not the way I would like (id say roughly 90% of the time there are no issues). Thinking about stepping up to a 147gr projectile to see if the increase in powder will help the gun function better. What are you all doing for subsonic 9mm loads?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would rather tinker with my load than the spring, unless the reduced load was all I intended to shoot. Otherwise, full power loads may beat up your gun.

If you want to shoot 124 gr, why not increase the powder charge to make them work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rather tinker with my load than the spring, unless the reduced load was all I intended to shoot. Otherwise, full power loads may beat up your gun.

If you want to shoot 124 gr, why not increase the powder charge to make them work?
With the current charge they are on the brink of the sound barrier as it is. I just dont know if stepping up to a 147gr will make it easier/more reliable to shoot subsonic and still cycle properly. As of now its just a quick spring swap, I just dont like having a 1 in 10 failure rate, even if it is just range plinking.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think using 147 gr would do it. I don't load 9mm, but this is exactly the reason I use heavy-for-caliber bullets in 300BLK. The extra inertia in the heavier bullet gives it the extra recoil to aid in cycling while also remaining subsonic. Of course, in the 300BLK, its the extra pressure and gas of the powder behind heavier bullet that helps cycle the rifle. This would be the very fist thing i would do to make your 226 cycle.

You beat me to it Mr. Flash :geek::D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think using 147 gr would do it. I don't load 9mm, but this is exactly the reason I use heavy-for-caliber bullets in 300BLK. The extra inertia in the heavier bullet gives it the extra recoil to aid in cycling while also remaining subsonic. Of course, in the 300BLK, its the extra pressure and gas of the powder behind heavier bullet that helps cycle the rifle. This would be the very fist thing i would do to make your 226 cycle.

You beat me to it Mr. Flash :geek::D
Thats what logic tells me as well. Just hoping for some first hand experience before I click the order button on some 147s.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been running the 147gr 9mm from Freedom Munitions lately. No issues in my 225, 226, 228 or 229. Picked them up for the reduced recoil and to shot in a local IDPA league. My 320 X5 digests them without any issues also and there is a noticeable reduction in recoil between the 147gr and standard factor 115 gr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered 1k 147gr. The more i just handled the gun with the reduced power springs it just felt cheap, almost like an air gun. Seems like most loads net 9-950ish fps which is well below the threshold so hopefully I have no issues.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just ordered 1k 147gr. The more i just handled the gun with the reduced power springs it just felt cheap, almost like an air gun. Seems like most loads net 9-950ish fps which is well below the threshold so hopefully I have no issues.
I think it will work perfectly. Might have to try a few different recipes, but I'm pretty certain you can get a nice straight shoot'n subsonic running with those 147s and the standard spring.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Just got a couple thousand Speer 147g subsonics, and they work flawlessly in my 226 Legion SAO. They do seem to be somewhat dirtier than the S&B 124g that I usually shoot at the range.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Winchester black box aka the nato spec ammo is dirt cheap and comparable to +p
Trouble is, it's not sub-sonic... which is what the OP is looking for!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Winchester black box aka the nato spec ammo is dirt cheap and comparable to +p
Your initial post, said "Winchester" and NATO spec which is not subsonic...

I've put 100s of rounds of these threw my buddies 226with no issues
This is "Federal" and made for suppressors, so it is subsonic!

·
🎖USN Retired
4,334 Posts
I reload 124 Gr FMJ with 4.2 Gr Winchester 231 for my P226 and X5. It cycles both guns flawlessly. It’s also accurate for the type of shooting I do.

Here are the chrono results for my load development for 124 Gr FMJ:

3.9 Gr
Ave FPS- 1001
ES - 34
SD - 11

4.0 Gr
Ave FPS - 1017
ES - 55
SD - 19

4.1 Gr
Ave FPS - 1039
ES - 75
SD - 20

4.2 Gr
Ave FPS- 1049
ES - 49
SD - 11

OAL is 1.130-1.135

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had no problems with 147gr coated bullets at just over 900fps. Most commercial 147gr ammo is likely loaded a bit hotter than that, but still subsonic, and should cycle a 226 without any trouble.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.