SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the P365 handle Subsonic 9mm ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,061 Posts
I always shoot 147 grain 9mm ammo in my P365SAS with absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 365 ammo (practice & SD versions) Sig makes specifically for the gun is subsonic, so I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sig makes ammo but its not not gun specific !

The speed of sound is well a bit above 1100fps but to keep it simple . So most any standard velocity ammo you fire in a little p365 barrel will be sub sonic but those bullets will work better if 147 gr is carried . Check out velocity in the ( ported slide and ported barrel ) video in this section .

And here -
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sig does make and market ammo specifically for the P365. They also make and market ammo specifically for the M17, but it's really hard to find.

The Sig 365 ammo is designed especially for short barreled handguns. I use the 365 hollow points in my 365 which is my every day carry. It works well and is a quality ammo.

I don't like heavy self defense rounds in short barreled handguns. The shorter the barrel the quicker it loses velocity and heavy rounds lose more velocity than lighter. The combination of micro compact barrel length and heavy weight creates a greater possibility that the hollow point will not expand.

Subsonic vs supersonic is mostly an issue for those shooting with suppressors.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The ammo Sig markets as the 365 is based on a specific powder that burns well in a short barreled handgun. not unlike the same types marketed by other manufacturers. But it's not specifically subsonic. I chronoed it at slightly above the number at 1180.

Any 147 will be below that number regardless of the manufacturer or marketing. We used 147 Subsonic for some unknown reason. Tested some anr true to Winchester's marketing it was about 980 fps. Not much different that the 147 SXT we switched to years later.

Odd part was suppressed it wasn't that quiet. Standard 147 sounded about the same.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hmmm. Clocked the 365 ammo in an SAS and standard 365; numbers were in the 1080-1100 range. The ported barrel had virtually no effect on velocity; there was more variance between different boxes of ammo.
Clocking was thru' a Lab Radar chrono.
Moon

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
swirling eddy IF you think sig 365 is a specially developed load along with there m17 your a sucker of sig's advertising . Its not special ammo or even that good at what it does . But hey its your money . Just like many folks with short barrel 9mms prefer 147gr standard over 115gr , its the difference in felt recoil between a pushy feeling and a snappy feeling . I can tell the difference in a 1060115gr load and a 124gr 1300+ fps underwood +P+ load . I guess sig's 365 no good in in a XL or a P320 3.6" xcompact . Ha . I gotten 1213 fps from a 124gr +P gold dot underwood load during testing out of our p365xl .

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
swirling eddy IF you think sig 365 is a specially developed load along with there m17 your a sucker of sig's advertising . Its not special ammo or even that good at what it does . But hey its your money . Just like many folks with short barrel 9mms prefer 147gr standard over 115gr , its the difference in felt recoil between a pushy feeling and a snappy feeling . I can tell the difference in a 1060115gr load and a 124gr 1300+ fps underwood +P+ load . I guess sig's 365 no good in in a XL or a P320 3.6" xcompact . Ha . I gotten 1213 fps from a 124gr +P gold dot underwood load during testing out of our p365xl .
So because someone on a message board posted information that disagrees with what you said you feel the need to make a personal attack? That's kind of sad.

Heavier weight bullets lose velocity quicker than lighter weight bullets. It's a matter of the laws of physics. The shorter the barrel the more pronounced this effect. You do understand don't you that the velocity at impact is less than the muzzle velocity. Muzzle velocity itself is not a measure of loss of velocity down range.

I understand why many prefer the heavier grain ammo. I also understand why I don't. And it has nothing to do with marketing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let’s put the 9mm caliber into perspective... The average number of rounds needed to turn a threat into a non-threat is just under 3.00 rounds. No matter its velocity, grain weight or type of projectile, the average is still just under 3.00 rounds. In the event you find yourself having to use your P365, the distance is most likely gonna be 12yds and in. I’d dare to speculate that the most likely distance would even be 0-12ft. This is why point shooting/threat focused shooting is such an important skill. At these distances velocity variations are minuscule. Grain weight isnt really a factor at these distances either. But what about at 20yrds?! What about at 25yds??.. Well.. At these distances you should be looking for cover and then a safe direction away from danger PERIOD. Let’s say your P365 decides to engage a hostile at 25yds though, will velocity and grain weight matter? You’re still gonna have to land 3.00 shots on the threat. A head shot or properly placed shot to the spine will likely be a one and done win no matter if it’s 115gr, 124gr, 147gr..etc. Sooooo,.. Carry whatever reliable ammo you like, burn 1000s of rounds point shooting and practice your 25yd headshots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts