SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything to be aware of when doing this? Having learned the hard way when changing out a pistol grip on an AR and not realizing there was a little spring in there that got lost in my carpet, thought i'd ask before i remove the wood grips to put on G10s. Thanks much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are no springs that will pop out on you, but there is a trigger bar spring under the right grip. When you pull the grip off just make sure that spring isn't hung on the grip so you don't bend it.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Really just a couple things you need to be aware of. First, if your P226 is DA/SA, you need to have grips with the decocker lever cut out. Second, screw length. You want to make certain the screws are the correct length. Too long and they will extend into the mag well and impede insertion/removal of the mags. Too short and you will have less thread engagement, increasing the chances of the frame threads stripping out. I like for the screws to reach the bottom of the threaded holes of the frame. If your grips came with screws, odds are they are the correct length. If not, just a bit of caution will save you some heartache.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really just a couple things you need to be aware of. First, if your P226 is DA/SA, you need to have grips with the decocker lever cut out. Second, screw length. You want to make certain the screws are the correct length. Too long and they will extend into the mag well and impede insertion/removal of the mags. Too short and you will have less thread engagement, increasing the chances of the frame threads stripping out. I like for the screws to reach the bottom of the threaded holes of the frame. If your grips came with screws, odds are they are the correct length. If not, just a bit of caution will save you some heartache.
Thanks, Malicious. I ordered them direct from Sig (green pirhanna), so hopefully they come with screws and they are the right size...and i'll have to go back and look at the site to make sure they were for DA/SA. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Use a proper screw driver bit. If you are working with slotted OEM screws, the tip should look like this:

SIG ArmToolBit.001.jpg

You get one in the SIG armorer's tool:

DSCN0837.JPG

Highly recommended to avoid mousing up the screws...or worse.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
photog22740, they should end up looking similar to this...

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Use a little blue Loctite, and mark the slot positions with a thin, non-permanent sharpie so you know when they're backing out.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That, my friend, is not a "stupid question"!
+1 vote for blue locktite when removing a Sig Grip screw. A lost grip screw can really mess up an otherwise great range day!

Edit--just realized I had quoted the wrong post. But it was a good post, too. Not a stupid question AT ALL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Grip screws are one of those things I just ensure are tightened each time I clean. Quick screw driver to make sure they aren't loose. Just part of my process.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Grip screws are one of those things I just ensure are tightened each time I clean. Quick screw driver to make sure they aren't loose. Just part of my process.
Agreed. But I have not lost one (or even tightened one) since I started using blue locktite every time I remove one. They told me to do that on a visit to Sig in Exeter when I complained that the grip screws kept falling out. Now my biggest problem is my wife taking the locktite out of my range bag and using it on EVERYTHING threaded in the house.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agreed. But I have not lost one (or even tightened one) since I started using blue locktite every time I remove one. They told me to do that on a visit to Sig in Exeter when I complained that the grip screws kept falling out. Now my biggest problem is my wife taking the locktite out of my range bag and using it on EVERYTHING threaded in the house.
Better locktite her fingernail polish cap closed so it doesn't come open in her purse! ha

Not disagreeing on using locktite, think its a good plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, just remember that the P226 parts kit comes with the springs found under each grip (trigger bar and decocker) as well as four grip screws so if you do muck something up (which you won't) it is cheap and easy to fix. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts