SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to do the unthinkable and installed the half nipple upside down when switching?the sides of the mag release in my P226 with the mag catch stop in the incorrect position and now the mag catch is stuck in the down position. I realize that this is a serious problem and have only myself to blame. Any one know of a solution or know of any one who can fix this problem? I would hate to think that my pistol is now a fishing sinker.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I managed to do the unthinkable and installed the half nipple upside down when switching?the sides of the mag release in my P226 with the mag catch stop in the incorrect position and now the mag catch is stuck in the down position. I realize that this is a serious problem and have only myself to blame. Any one know of a solution or know of any one who can fix this problem? I would hate to think that my pistol is now a fishing sinker.
I'd say worst case scenario, you have to send it back to Sig. Maybe look for a gunsmith in your area.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Three ways to fix it I'm thinking.

Do what HellaBuggin said.

Use the feeler gauge trick (which probably only works well when you simply insert the plunger pin with the "cut" facing inboard rather than outboard). Since you've installed the little lock plunger upside down, it may not be possible to easily push the plunger back against its spring - but maybe.

WARNING, WAG ALERT (I have never tried this!!) Get out the rotary tool and do a little divot centered, or to the rear of center for a drill starting spot. Next use a small drill and drill straight down on the slide release button. Use a small drill to start, then increase size. You want to get to the lock pin spring cavity and destroy, remove that spring without so much as touching the frame. Note, the reason to probably drill a bit to the rear of center is to avoid hitting that tiny lock plunger with the drill as it might tend to tweak it over to the side and damage the surface it rides against in the frame. Best to hit just the spring.

·
Registered
55,927 Posts
sorry, i can't find it but there's a post here or at sigforum that describes how to use the feeler gage trick without any need for rotary/dremel tool.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Okay thanks and by slide release button do you mean mag release???
Yessir! I meant to say the side of the mag release button that you push on to release the mag.

The safest way, absent more suggestions, is to send it to SIG. What I suggested will no doubt work well, though is assumes a degree of mechanical ability and proper tools. Supporting the frame and using a drill press is, for instance, more better than using a hand drill.

good luck,

bumper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update; I just called Sig and they gave me the green light to send it in, thanks for the advice in which I tried minus the drilling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts