SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was stopped by a store employee after exiting a store (I was outside of the doors walking to my truck). They asked to see my bag. After they verified that the items and the receipt matched up he let me on my way. But it got me thinking what I'd do if I was asked to come inside and be searched? I don't want some store scruffy putting his hand near my pistol as he pats me down. I'm not even sure if they can legally search me or if they would have to call LE.
Anyhow, group thoughts on this?? Thanks, TG

·
Registered
302 Posts
hauki I was stoped at Walmart once because the alarm started beeping when I went through the doors. Item was a SD card and I had the receipt. They said ok. I said no not ok Went back in to the electronics dept and told them what had happened. They didn't deactivate the item. Asked for the store manager said I was ticked of. He refunded me my money and I kept the SD card. If this happened to me I would want LE to come.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify, they didn't search me. They just looked in my bag and let me go on my way. I must have been flagged somehow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
years ago, I was stopped leaving a grocery store I go to maybe 2x week. I have 2 sons, 12 and 11. They eat like
honey badgers.

they asked me to "come with them" so they could search me. it was in a crowd of people. I told them they could search me in front of everyone. I wasnt going to go off and have 20 strangers think "that guy was stealing"

they checked me, and of course, I didnt steal anything. I was pretty ticked. All those people would have thought that I was a thief. Who knows who might have known me, or have seen me around thinking I was shoplifting

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
years ago, I was stopped leaving a grocery store I go to maybe 2x week. I have 2 sons, 12 and 11. They eat like
honey badgers.

they asked me to "come with them" so they could search me. it was in a crowd of people. I told them they could search me in front of everyone. I wasnt going to go off and have 20 strangers think "that guy was stealing"

they checked me, and of course, I didnt steal anything. I was pretty ticked. All those people would have thought that I was a thief. Who knows who might have known me, or have seen me around thinking I was shoplifting
But how would you have handled it if you were legally armed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Many years ago I was driving home from work. I pull up to a 4 way stop a unmarked black Plymouth Fury ( yes that long ago) pulls up behind me with lights going. 2 Detroit Police cruisers pull in front from side streets. Guns out guys behind doors and loud speaker telling me to get out of car hands out window. The LEO officers approach after I have hands out window. After in position I was told to get out of car. I am a teen driving my older brothers car. After some discussion and checking the car and me. They are off and rolling at high speed. The lead officer thanks me for following his instructions and apologizes same car, same description of prep, ( as a teen I looked like I was in mid twenties 6’ 3” 230 at 17) just robbed bank down the street. I thanked them for their work and being direct and in control instead of shooting some puck kid

some people I have shared story with have a problem, with the LEO actions, I thought then and now great control and calm approach to a very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No “store employee” is going to touch me. As a courtesy, I’d show contents of bag and corresponding store receipt for quick resolution. Other than that, I’m continuing to vehicle. Employee can note my plates and go back to his back cubby room to review video and if he can come up with any evidence he can proceed as he sees fit. But I’m out of there after the bag and receipt portion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since I am armed at almost all times, it would be troublesome event.
I will gladly show him the bag, contents and receipt, just doing his job had some reason to think I stole something, after that I am not going anywhere without a LEO asking . The store can provide video or an observation and have LEO follow up with me. I do not put myself at the discretion of Store employee.

Now if I was in some liberal Utopia I could take $800-$900 worth and would be offended they were dissing me by tryimg to stop me, because it is racist or you are not understanding I am disenfranchised or some either liberal clap trap BS. 😇😉

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,561 Posts
Since I am armed at almost all times, it would be troublesome event.
I will gladly show him the bag, contents and receipt, just doing his job had some reason to think I stole something, after that I am not going anywhere without a LEO asking . The store can provide video or an observation and have LEO follow up with me. I do not put myself at the discretion of Store employee.

Now if I was in some liberal Utopia I could take $800-$900 worth and would be offended they were dissing me by tryimg to stop me, because it is racist or you are not understanding I am disenfranchised or some either liberal clap trap BS. 😇😉
Do you identify as a shoplifter or a fluid shopper? :ROFLMAO:

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,561 Posts
The rules for searching you are not the same as a LEO. Private security must ask permission and you can either acquiesce to the search or not. If they insist it must be by a LEO and with articulable probable cause, more than a mere suspicion or hunch. On the other hand, a LEO may search you under Terry vs Ohio as a pat down for weapons but not a more intrusive search of your person absent probably cause.

Caviat: Probable cause is not an exact science but a free-flowing art form in LEO circles ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you identify as a shoplifter or a fluid shopper? :ROFLMAO:
It is Fluid, I am a Transshopper or maybe Multi Humanoid shopper I am still discovering myself
Not sure yet, I am sure that excuse will or has been used already in some POS press conference or TMZ brainwash you story. Hollywood Stars are falling all over themselves to project their Wokeness and empathy to help me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The other day I was stopped by a store employee after exiting a store (I was outside of the doors walking to my truck). They asked to see my bag. After they verified that the items and the receipt matched up he let me on my way. But it got me thinking what I'd do if I was asked to come inside and be searched? I don't want some store scruffy putting his hand near my pistol as he pats me down. I'm not even sure if they can legally search me or if they would have to call LE.
Anyhow, group thoughts on this?? Thanks, TG

I would, and have impolitely told them to get out of my way, Once outside, they have no authority to check your bags, or anything else. Ignore them; if hey lay a hand ony ou, protect yourself and call the police. For the ladies, Scream like hell and yell Rape.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not sure if you guys have Sams Club, but they look at your receipt and in every bag.

My understanding of all this is as previous posters have said....no store employee can physically prevent you from leaving the property any time you want....much less make you go to some room somewhere to be searched. To do so would be an arrest. And while "Citizens Arrest" is a real concept, the negative consequences for "false arrest" would be so horrendous to the store that, as a practical matter, the only way this would happen is if an employee of the store ignored their training and went rogue.

Flip side...the store is private property and can ask you to leave and never come back.

Final thought....with all these gang-type "smash and grab" actions on top of all the normal run-of-the-mill shoplifting that goes on....you kind of gotta feel for people working in retail. It doesn't pay very well either.

Phil

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
No “store employee” is going to touch me. As a courtesy, I’d show contents of bag and corresponding store receipt for quick resolution. Other than that, I’m continuing to vehicle. Employee can note my plates and go back to his back cubby room to review video and if he can come up with any evidence he can proceed as he sees fit. But I’m out of there after the bag and receipt portion.
I'm with you.
I am not a criminal and no doofus in the Stop N Shop is going to pat me down. If they want to check my bags / receipt at the door, I don't really care. Beyond that, kiss my a**.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228, MPX K 4.5”
985 Posts
If the security alarm goes off because something wasn’t deactivated, I’m happy to show my receipt. If it’s a random , “Can I look in your bag?”. Nope. I went through checkout (probably self-service). If your security at the registers is lacking, that’s not my problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They can eff right off. Aside from Sam’s club, I don’t do receipt checks and am under no obligation to prove to any store employee that what is now my property that I paid for is lawfully owned. If you have evidence I did not pay for something, call the cops. Otherwise I will politely tell you to get out of my way and if you do happen to lay hands on me they will be forcefully removed and I will be pressing charges on you for battery and hitting your store with a lawsuit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I find it hilarious when Sams Club had checked out our purchases by scanner, eyeballing the cart etc, and then they do it again at the exit -

But when you self check at Walmart the one attendant is usually too busy wiping down the other machines to even watch.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Unless its confirmed law enforcement, don’t allow physical touching. Especially if some “Paul Blart” types wants to do it. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave the store.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts