SIG Talk banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The house is covered in hidden (and visible) weapons. There is something under every seat cushion and in every corner, under tables and in cabinets. ALL are fully loaded with one it the pipe, and safeties are for sissies.
And taser booby traps! Don't turn the lights on in the closet with the safe!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Since there are no children in our home my wife and and I simply place our fully loaded CCWs into our nightstand drawers.

In the event of unusual criminal activity reported in the area or a storm or power outage an AR comes out of the safe with a full magazine inserted but an empty chamber.

When relatives with children visit, everything goes into the safe for the duration of their visit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I keep a Sig 239 fully loaded in a Miami Classic shoulder holster with 2 more magazines in the holster pouches beside the bed and a 230 fully loaded with extra magazine in a small pouch. When I go somewhere I grab both along with a Zero Tolerance 0770CF and Emerson Mini A-100. A Glock 20 in another Miami Classic holster rigged same as the 239, a Sig 556 rifle and Sig 556 pistol are loaded in the safe. I also keep a Smith 686 Plus loaded in the safe. The rest are unloaded in the safe.

·
Banned
3,162 Posts
Home defense pistol is in a bedside GunSafe with a full mag and one in the chamber.

I CCW with a full mag and one in the chamber.

I NEVER store guns loaded. In fact, I store guns and ammo separately.
Winner winner chicken dinner !!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I grew up with loaded guns around the house. Was always taught guns are always loaded, treat them that way. I continue the tradition with the ones in the safe other than the pair of Mosins I have not gotten around to doing more than clean most of the cosmoline out of. They are my last choice for HD anyway. The pistols and mini-14 are much more practical and the Mossburg 500 does have an 18" barrell I can put on along with a pistol grip, but it is in its long form right now. It is loaded with PDX defense rounds at the moment though.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I failed to mention in my earlier post about my "child" knowing how to shoot. She is currently 16, but was taught to shoot starting at 10 years old. She was "given" her first rifle at 13 for Christmas, the venerable Ruger 10/22, and has also attempted to take over my TALO edition S&W 22A-1 target pistol. When we're at the range together she shoots it 90% of the time, so I have to go shooting by myself to get any .22 pistol love! ;)

When she is legally old enough she will probably become the owner of the .22 pistol and I'll have to get another one. Since she's 16 now, the rifle is fully hers...

ETA: Oh, and she's not too bad a shot with my AR-15 either, but she ain't gettin' that!!! I love her dearly, but she'll have to buy her own! :p

Reactions: KZero and asdfzxcv

·
Registered
63 Posts
I keep my CCWs (P239 and P220) locked in gun safes to which I hold exclusive access. Neither the wife or kids do not have the combo.

I find myself currently storing them both with a full mag, but an empty chamber. I am constantly removing that full mag, inserting a mag containing 1 round, cambering that round, dropping that now empty mag, and reinserting the full one before I holster and leave my house, thus allowing me the full+1 capacity and also allowing me a clean draw, DA trigger press if needed.

Switching to STORING these pistols with one in the chamber and a full mag would be a new to me. How are others doing it for either CCWs or home defense pistols, again, which are locked up in a safe?
I've no children around, nor an angry spouse (she said shooting me would not be worth it!) I keep several semi auto handguns stashed about the house in CONDITION ONE. Loaded, with one in the tube. I don't want to ask for a time out to rack the slide, eh, because if you need the infernal thing, you are not likely going to have time for that luxury.

If you open my safe, you will be presented with six or eight semi autos or revolvers in CONDITION ONE; locked and loaded on the inside of the door. The original Point And Click. No problem for me.

If I were forced to open this safe at gunpoint, I'd pull the rather large door full open and grab a 357 revolver out of a door pocket (at just the right height as it might not be noticed) as I walked past and behind the safe door . I am hoping here that a clueless criminal will be so focused on the extraordinary find inside the safe that I will have time to stand behind the door and put one in his head (as he so richly deserves.)

I use a very bright pink fingernail polish to mark CONDITION ONE firearms in a conspicuous place even though I treat all firearms as loaded at all times, unless the slide is back or the cylinder open.

Semi autos I paint pink someplace on the back of the slide and on the right side of the frame. Revolvers in CONDITION ONE have the hammer painted pink.

Works for me, duds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I failed to mention in my earlier post about my "child" knowing how to shoot. She is currently 16, but was taught to shoot starting at 10 years old. She was "given" her first rifle at 13 for Christmas, the venerable Ruger 10/22, and has also attempted to take over my TALO edition S&W 22A-1 target pistol. When we're at the range together she shoots it 90% of the time, so I have to go shooting by myself to get any .22 pistol love! ;)

When she is legally old enough she will probably become the owner of the .22 pistol and I'll have to get another one. Since she's 16 now, the rifle is fully hers...

ETA: Oh, and she's not too bad a shot with my AR-15 either, but she ain't gettin' that!!! I love her dearly, but she'll have to buy her own! :p
My daughters started shooting bb pistols at the ages of seven and five. The next year they graduated to 22 rimfire pistols, as they demonstrated excellent gun handling skills, having managed to not shoot each other with a bb. They both shoot handguns much better than most of the men I know.

They are both just short of 40 years now. They love to go shooting but will not allow me to gift them any weapon at all? They live in LA and Boston. Sheesh.

I feel that their rejection is seriously naive. I hope to hell I am wrong, but perhaps someday the **** will hit the fan and they will BOTH wish they had taken up dad's offer? Even a 22 autopistol to a rioter or home invader is sufficient to put the threat down, especially if you can shoot them in the eye.
  • Ask Bobby Kennedy about the lethality 22 LR rimfires next time you talk to him.

And he din't even get shot in the eye.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I find myself currently storing them both with a full mag, but an empty chamber. I am constantly removing that full mag, inserting a mag containing 1 round, cambering that round, dropping that now empty mag, and reinserting the full one before I holster and leave my house, thus allowing me the full+1 capacity and also allowing me a clean draw, DA trigger press if needed.

Switching to STORING these pistols with one in the chamber and a full mag would be a new to me. How are others doing it for either CCWs or home defense pistols, again, which are locked up in a safe?
[/QUOTE]

Somebody tell me how to delete posts? Please?

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
522 Posts
I have two home defense guns in quick access safes (one upstairs and one downstairs). They are both stored with mags inserted but no round chambered. I don’t want to take a chance on accessing a Condition I weapon when the trigger is exposed and I’m probably under stress.

My EDC stays in the holster and gets stored in a pocket on the door of my safe. Since it’s in the holster, I’m comfortable with the round staying chambered.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The EDC guns (3) in my rotation are all loaded with one in the pipe. My bedside gun is the same way. All the other are in the safe. Ammo is stored separately.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Resurrecting a six-year old thread? Well, why not?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unloading guns to safely store them under lock and key is an institutional response to gun storage used by PD's, the military etc. They like to exert control and even micromanage things to a extremely low liability standard. Keep in mind they train to use firearms in as deadly a manner as possible yet refuse outright any servicemember keeping a personal weapon in barracks or even on post. They require you store it in the MP facility or shooting sports weapons locker. Kinda bass ackward isn't it? Of late with some shootings on posts a few brave commanders loosened up, but I don't hear of it any more.

A gun owner with a safe doesn't have that need - secure, yes, but unloaded, no, it's forcing uselessness onto the homeowner. You need that gun you need it now and you may need to immediately use it.

I recommend you leave it loaded. Manipulating it constantly only increases the likelihood of a negligent discharge, which nobody wants. Secondly, constantly rechambering ammo not specifically crimped can cause setback of the bullet and it can then compress the powder too much, creating a overpressure event.

Children getting their hands on guns who have no training are the issue which our anti gun opponents use to force a lot of unnecessary effort. Yet, those who live in rural areas and who have loaded guns aren't suffering hundreds of children a year being shot - it's the suburbs and metros where animosity to guns is preached constantly. Tell a child he can't have it, they will get around it and won't know how to properly handle a firearm.

In my case I kept weapons locked up at home, but anytime they asked, we got them out. Scheduled shooting events with them - basically, killed their curiousity with information. It isn't a problem and they all grew up to buy their own firearms. It's a non issue correctly handled.

Currently my firearms are loaded ready to strap on in the holster. I don't have to manipulate them, load them, and of late, with higher capacity magazines, I no longer load the extra round. I carry a minimum of 20 rounds already - what do I need one more for? When it was a five shot revolver, or six shot single stack, one more round made a some difference, with 20? My field gun carries 18 per mag - thats 36 for a carry load when not hunting. Another round would be half as important as one for the 20 round carry. Goes to, the extra round topped off is actually old school thinking from the days of low capacity magazines - and a reflection on how anti gunners would like to lower the round count even more. Considering the shooting statistics show that most encounters involve 3 shots as a median number of rounds fired, the effort to get one more in isn't well offset with all the handling and chambering that increase risk.

Guns don't go off sitting locked up loaded in a safe, guns go off manipulating them out of the holster. Reduce handling the firearm and you reduce risk. That's why so many gun stores have that sign out front, keep your loaded firearm in the holster. Show and tell can be a bad thing. As a CCW carrier, the only time we really need to get the firearm from the holster is the need to shoot it immediately with no hesitation. Waving it around or displaying the cool new accessory isn't all that. Ruger got caught up in a national recall with someone shooting their TV in the bedroom, Rem 700 owners are known for jacking the rounds out of the rifle thru chambering and extracting them m but, the 2.5 pound trigger was the issue, hmm.

Not that I ever did that . . .

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
All of my self-defense weapons... and I do mean ALL of them, are safely stored in my safe with full mags plus a round in the chamber!

Everyone in my family knows if they need a weapon, they can grab something from the safe and know it is ready to go.... period!

The ONLY exception is my .22 target pistol... but it’s set aside from the rest.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts