SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
... That being said, I did mention that I just bought a drop gun safe, the speed vault...
How do you like that Speedvault? I've been looking at that model as well (with the buttons). The price seems reasonable - the fingerprint one is just to pricey. Do you like it? Any problems with the button approach?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
How do you like that Speedvault? I've been looking at that model as well (with the buttons). The price seems reasonable - the fingerprint one is just to pricey. Do you like it? Any problems with the button approach?
It is awesome, I HIGHLY recommend! I'm about to order a second one. The safe drops quickly with an internal light so you can see. It does make a noise, but if you're worried about that, you can hold it with your hand and let it down slowly and silently. There are only 4 buttons to the combination, simplifying things, but no one will EVER be able to guess the combinations, because you can program 2 buttons pressed at the same time! There is a mode that will light up if someone has been attempting to break into the safe unsuccessfully. The safe is designed to be bolted from the inside, so you attach this to strong wood or metal - a desk or a stud, and it is secure going nowhere.

I would NOT recommend the biometric finger scan. I just don't think the technology is quite there yet. People have reported taking a few times for it to work (not good in an emergency). Or even worse, the wrong fingerprint being "close enough". On top of that, what happens if your finger is covered in blood, cut, or broken? Stick to the buttons.

The only thing that I don't like is the foam touching the metal frame for a long period of time, especially in a humid environment (I haven't heard of any negative reports, but I'm just paranoid of rusting). I actually wrap the slide in a silicone cloth before putting it into the drop safe. When I pull the gun out, the cloth stays in the safe or drops harmlessly away. I don't think I could leave my SIG in there (because they are just so pretty), but I'm totally ok leaving my glock in there, haha.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Thanks for the review. I may have to take the plunge. I'm just not comfortable with a drawer or a nightstand. The Speedvault seems secure, but also easy to access. Sounds like it might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The thing I like about the Speedvault is that I could mount it on the wall just inside our bedroom closet door. The others are nice too, but aren't as appealing from a mounting perspective. Thanks for the info though.

Reactions: asdfzxcv

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I keep most of the guns empty and locked away. I do have 5-6 guns loaded all the time. The pistols all have a round chambered. I don't empty and reload every day. It just stays the same way all the time. My AR and shotgun for HD are loaded but not chambered. I read on the internet that the sound of the shotgun being racked is more important than any other defense technique.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
In my household, all defensive handguns are fully loaded with one in the chamber.... ALL of them. Target pistols, plinking rifles, and the AR are stored unloaded, though I have 5 AR magazines fully loaded in the safe also.

Wife and child both know the combination to the safe, and child knows how to shoot. BOTH of them know the guns are fully loaded and ready to go bang if they pull the trigger... I preach it to them constantly! Consequently, when we are all at home, there are normally handguns laying out in one or more parts of the house where somebody is.... one in the bedroom on the nightstand, one in the living room by the recliner in easy reach when answering front door or if something goes bump at the back door, etc. If teenage daughter is left home alone, she gets one in her dresser drawer until I return.

So while it goes against many people's rules, this particular household knows and assumes each and every gun is fully loaded and WILL go bang if the trigger is pulled, and knows to keep their finger off of it. My wife will not even touch the pistols to move them, and my daughter is hesitant about it even though she knows how to handle one. I'm not worried about accidents. I just want to know if one is needed in an emergency, there is NOTHING required to prepare it for action, and I don't have to remember which one is ready to go, because they all are! :D

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The thing I like about the Speedvault is that I could mount it on the wall just inside our bedroom closet door. The others are nice too, but aren't as appealing from a mounting perspective. Thanks for the info though.
Totally agree! The reason why I never considered buying a top-loading quick access safe is that I couldn't find a good place to mount it! In a drawer, or on a desk, or using a cable lock? Pshahh, that thing would be ripped out in under 30 seconds flat! I like this vertical access safe so I can mount it to a stud with huge flat-screen-tv-sized lag bolts. The only way this thing gets stolen is if they break out the circular saw.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When our kids were little we kept ours in our side table drawers and the kids were told those had guns in them and were off limits. Now that the kids are older I keep my M11a1 on top on my night stand with one in the chamber with a full mag and two full mags next to it. My wife keeps here P99 on hers side the same way. Our kids grew up being taught gun safety from the time they could walk. Obviously not everyone does it our way and that's ok. My youngest is 17 now so he and our other two survived growing up in a home with loaded firearms unscathed.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
I don't know if there are any firearm storage devices that must be used for immediate access that only uses a fingerprint scanner for access. But if there are, don't buy it.

You would have to clean the window constantly. Any dust or lint on that window (and who's home doesn't have dust and lint - even if you clean the house every day) can prevent the scanner from getting a good read. Any skin oil on the window will attract dust, lint, hair, pet hair, dander, pollen...like a magnet. You could clean the window before going to bed and something could settle on it when you leave it to go to bed.

If you're a "working person", scars will build and change your print constantly. Does it allow you to store multiple fingerprints so you can scan a different finger? Did you remember to "update" the stored print since you last injured that finger? Do you test it every day to see if it is still responding correctly to that/those finger(s)? My wife almost didn't get a job once with the education system because her fingerprints kept getting rejected as unsatisfactory to test. An expert finally stepped in and said she doesn't have good prints because she did real 'work' all her life and doesn't have good prints.

How's the battery? Are the electronics still working? Is the battery-actuated mechanical lock still operating smoothly?

All the safes I've seen with fingerprint scanners have had other means (e.g. buttons) to unlock.

I don't believe fingerprint scanners will ever a reliable and fast means of accessing/using a weapon in life-or-death situations. Including as 'smart gun' technology.

I would not even recommend spending the money on that feature, even if it had an alternate means of opening the safe. I would buy a means of securing a weapon that did not use any electronics, but instead uses a purely mechanical means of securing the weapon. And practice using it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My guns are in various loaded stages. Semi-auto rifles empty chamber uncocked with a full mag inserted. Pump shotguns empty chamber uncocked full mag. Semi-auto pistols DA/SA chamber loaded hammer down full mag. DA revolvers fully loaded hammer down. 1911 empty chamber hammer down full mag. The idea is to have no spring tension on the hammer but loaded and ready to go. My son in law asked why they are loaded and my reply was, do you keep empty fire extinguishers around? Be prepared.

·
Registered
19,479 Posts
Stored guns are stored empty. My HD EDC gun is loaded and stored in my Gun Vault for immediate access.

·
Registered
153 Posts
All pistols are loaded, but with an empty chamber. All long guns are completely unloaded, but with loaded magazines at the ready.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Loaded. 1 in the chamber. But, that's how all my cc and HD guns are. C

·
Registered
790 Posts
a gun locked in the safe will not do you any good.

full mags and once verified reliability they are +1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stored in a hidden location that has the ability to lock with a mag inserted, nothing chambered.

However, if you store like this, you should practice at the range and dry fire by releasing your slide and racking it and getting a sight picture quickly.

I can draw rack and acquire faster than most of my friends who just draw and try to get on target.

Practice, practice, practice

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stored in a hidden location that has the ability to lock with a mag inserted, nothing chambered.

However, if you store like this, you should practice at the range and dry fire by releasing your slide and racking it and getting a sight picture quickly.

I can draw rack and acquire faster than most of my friends who just draw and try to get on target.

Practice, practice, practice
I agree with practice, but I bet you will find that with a ton of adrenalin running through your body like you will have when defending your home from armed intrusion, even a simple act like racking a round into the chamber might be more than you can manage. And that's not directed at you personally, it's a well accepted fact.

The same reason it is imperative to keep your finger out of the trigger until ready to fire on a known target. The nerves can easily cause a unintentional discharge to occur.

But whatever we do, practice IS in order.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
It's ready to go with one in the chamber... IMHO, the time you take to chamber a round when you need your home defense weapon, can be used to lock on target.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The house is covered in hidden (and visible) weapons. There is something under every seat cushion and in every corner, under tables and in cabinets. ALL are fully loaded with one it the pipe, and safeties are for sissies.

Reactions: asdfzxcv

·
Registered
60 Posts
Home defense purposes: fully loaded mag in the gun, empty chamber

I can't carry in NJ, no one can. But when I carry in Az I have carried the same way but usually with a round chambered and safety on for the Beretta.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts