SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my CCWs (P239 and P220) locked in gun safes to which I hold exclusive access. Neither the wife or kids do not have the combo.

I find myself currently storing them both with a full mag, but an empty chamber. I am constantly removing that full mag, inserting a mag containing 1 round, cambering that round, dropping that now empty mag, and reinserting the full one before I holster and leave my house, thus allowing me the full+1 capacity and also allowing me a clean draw, DA trigger press if needed.

Switching to STORING these pistols with one in the chamber and a full mag would be a new to me. How are others doing it for either CCWs or home defense pistols, again, which are locked up in a safe?

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Home defense pistol is in a bedside GunSafe with a full mag and one in the chamber.

I CCW with a full mag and one in the chamber.

I NEVER store guns loaded. In fact, I store guns and ammo separately.

Reactions: ProofMark

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I feel, if it's in a safe, i don't even have a magazine in my pistol. But to each his own... To me its consistency so I don't make a mistake, which ever way you go, always do it the same way and always check it first...

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
To me its consistency so I don't make a mistake, which ever way you go, always do it the same way and always check it first...
I agree 100% about the consistency. I wrestled with it for years and finally came to the decision that all of my pistols are always loaded. If the mag capacity is 12 that's what's in the gun. One in the chamber and 11 in the mag.

The shotgun at my bedside is the sole exception. It has 5 in the mag and none in the chamber; it's a pump. The last thing I do at night is get it out of the safe and after my morning shower it goes back in the safe.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
At the HalfPoundHouse,
All pistols are full mag+1, hammer down.
All revolvers are full, hammer down.
All rifles are full mag, empty chamber, on safe.
Whether they're locked up, in a holster, or in a nightstand doesn't have any bearing on condition.

I agree on the consistency part. Whatever you feel most comfortable with, do that every time.

Reactions: Spok

·
Registered
91 Posts
I store unloaded guns hammer down with no magazine. Loaded guns are stored cocked and locked. All of them are in my standup safe unless I'm carrying. The safe is locked whenever no one is home. Kids are grown so it's just me and wifey. Both of us carry and have trained with our instructor, at least once a month for three years. Nonetheless we are very careful. All our guns are SAO except the Wilson Beretta which is my bedside gun. It comes out of the safe every night and goes back in every morning. The Beretta is de-cocked with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No mags in a stored weapon. Stored weapons are not typically available for use. Weapon and ammo separated. Home defense, fully loaded with one in the chamber. No point in having an expensive brick for home defense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If any of my guns are out of the safe, they are fully loaded with one in the chamber. If a gun is in the safe, it is generally unloaded. The only exception is if I plan to carry a gun in the next few days and I stick it in the safe, I will leave it in the holster and loaded.

Loading and unloading has a tendency to chew up the ammo and I don't like burs. Many many ND's also occur during loading and unloading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
17,766 Posts
All of the 220s in my carry rotation are full mag and one in the chamber, as are a few more handguns that I might have need for in a hurry. All in all, probably around a dozen loaded and chambered in the safe plus a Ruger Ranch Rifle and an AR, all fully loaded.

The ranch rifle has a full 30 round magazine but nothing in the chamber and the AR has 2 30 round mags held together with a coupler fully loaded and nothing in the chamber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Loaded. Only reason a gun around here isn't loaded is if it hasn't been cleaned from the last range trip. I don't keep a round chambered in my hammerless weapons. All others are chambered/decocked.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No boxes of ammo in the safe, but each pistol has 2 magazines loaded with self defense rounds laying next to the pistol. Whichever pistols I take to the range, I always fire at least one of the magazines with self defense ammo. My current home defense gun is a glock 22, and it is laying on a separate shelf by itself, with a loaded magazine inserted but with the slide locked back. I figure I can release the slide while pulling the gun out of the safe and fire it just as quickly as if one were loaded in the chamber. Sometimes I wonder if that wears out the recoil spring... but then again, it's only a glock. If someone were to pick up the pistol, they would clearly see a round through the ejection port, ready to chamber.
I'm currently installing a drop safe and the glock 22 will go in there with a round in the chamber. The SIG P226 will replace the Glock 22 in the safe with the slide locked back ready to go.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Cocked, locked, ready to rock. If my finger goes to the trigger somethings going down.

Reactions: CatmanIsGod

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Both pistols are locked up with full mags +1 in the chamber. Mossberg is loaded with 5 shells, empty chamber

·
Registered
596 Posts
My EDC and HD are one and the same and it's fully loaded and ready at all times. Guns in storage are just that: empty, oily, and in storage.

·
Premium Member
36,783 Posts
I have one carry cocked and locked 24/7. Cleaned periodically and reloaded.
My others are all target pistols and unloaded and decocked when not in the range booth.
When transported they are locked open for all to see as safe.

I won't load a bullet more than a couple times and visually check for compression.

Since I have no little ones hanging around, my 870 12ga hangs on the side of my mattress all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No boxes of ammo in the safe, but each pistol has 2 magazines loaded with self defense rounds laying next to the pistol. Whichever pistols I take to the range, I always fire at least one of the magazines with self defense ammo. My current home defense gun is a glock 22, and it is laying on a separate shelf by itself, with a loaded magazine inserted but with the slide locked back. I figure I can release the slide while pulling the gun out of the safe and fire it just as quickly as if one were loaded in the chamber. Sometimes I wonder if that wears out the recoil spring... but then again, it's only a glock. If someone were to pick up the pistol, they would clearly see a round through the ejection port, ready to chamber.
I'm currently installing a drop safe and the glock 22 will go in there with a round in the chamber. The SIG P226 will replace the Glock 22 in the safe with the slide locked back ready to go.

I am not criticizing, I'm just curious. Why would you lock the slide back with a loaded magazine in the gun? In my opinion stealth is important, and in the dead of night, it is going to be loud when you drop the slide. Now whoever is or may be in your house is going to know you're coming and I know you have a gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
22,185 Posts
No ammo goes in my gun safe.
Even though mine has a high fire rating, temperatures inside the safe can quickly reach cook-off temps before ever getting close to temps that could cause serious damage to the guns.
It would be a real bummer knowing my expensive collection got burned up from the ammo when they might have survived otherwise.
Besides, if you have to take time to get a gun out of an actual safe...well, it may be waaaay too late.
Safe is for storage of guns only.
No kids so I keep a loaded firearm with one in the chamber "close by".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its perfectly fine to ask what others do, but what is important, is to do what you are comfortable with, and train how you carry and store for access. Plenty of experts who can explain all conditions of carry, practice, training and comfort in YOUR choosen method is what makes any condition effective. If you're not comfortable with a certain method, dont use it because it may be what works for someone else.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I am not criticizing, I'm just curious. Why would you lock the slide back with a loaded magazine in the gun? In my opinion stealth is important, and in the dead of night, it is going to be loud when you drop the slide. Now whoever is or may be in your house is going to know you're coming and I know you have a gun.
Different philosophy/strategy, I guess. I'm playing the odds and going with what serves me the best as it applies to the most likely scenarios. And in my opinion, the chances that I will need my gun to save my own life in my home is minuscule to the chances that a negligent discharge occurs, even with me being as careful as possible. And in my area, a negligent discharge carries dire consequences - even aside from the danger of a round penetrating my walls - a negligent discharge could be used to revoke my firearms permit, a requirement in the "great" state of Illinois to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. On top of that, a revocation of my FOID card could result in the confiscation of my guns, even BEFORE I am convicted of any crime! On top of that, the return of my property is not guaranteed even if I am found innocent.

I'm pretty certain that I would never forget that this weapon is loaded (and I always treat ALL firearms as if they were loaded). But I'm paranoid that with a safe full of unloaded guns, a friend might grab the gun when the safe is open and perhaps I'm not looking, and not realize it is a glock, racked without a safety and a round in the chamber, ready to fire with only a 5.5 lb trigger pull. Or what if one of my friends finally figures out my safe combo without me knowing it? Or what if I pass away, and my family (all non-gun people) is boxing up my guns to sell away? There just seems to be a lot that can go wrong even if I try to be as diligent about safety as I possibly can. I have practiced dropping the slide, acquiring a target and firing in one swift motion, and I don't see that as a huge disadvantage, so this is a good compromise between efficiency and safety.

That being said, I did mention that I just bought a drop gun safe, the speedvault:
Amazon.com: Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe: Home Improvement
Because this is a dedicated safe, specifically for accessing a firearm in an emergency, I feel safe keeping the firearm loaded with a round in the chamber because that was the design of the safe, and most people would assume that the gun is loaded. Also, because it only holds one gun, I would only access this safe to specifically get the gun, and I would never leave it lying open for someone to take while I wasn't looking.

I do agree that stealth gives you a tactical advantage, and if that is your strategy, I'm not going to try to change your mind. However, my reality is... 9 out of 10 criminals in my area will run away if confronted. Out of those that don't, 9 out of 10 of those will run away if confronted with a gun. Out of those that don't, 9 out of 10 of those will run away once being shot. Now also consider that any shooting in my area will carry pretty negative legal consequences even if it is a good shoot. If the criminal dies, that legal headache multiplies tenfold. I'm also single, living alone and I don't have anyone to defend. So you put these realities together, and I'm not interested in getting into a fire fight EVER. So if I hear a break-in occur at my home, I'm going to the safe to get the gun, then I'm going to set off the alarm, call 911, hole up behind a barricade in a defensive position and wait for the police to arrive. The last thing I want to do is surprise a criminal. In fact, once I'm safely barricaded, I'm yelling to the criminal, "I am in fear for my life and will shoot you if you come downstairs. There is cash in the kitchen drawer, take it and run away before the police gets here."

It is my belief that this will serve my interests best in all the likely scenarios. I agree with you that this plan will work to my disadvantage if I have a black-ops mercenary team intent on my assassination (ala John Wick)... but if that happens, I think there are worse ways to go.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts